Question of the Day, January 26, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 26, 2011

Yesterday, we learned that the average developer will make $51k in 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107274-Game-Devs-Will-Earn-51k-This-Year-On-Average], less than they could earn using their skills elsewhere. Knowing that you could make more money elsewhere, would you go into the games industry?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
That's still currently more than I make at my Mom'n'Pop code shop, but I'd rather be happy than rich myself. I can still afford all the games I want as well as to pay the rent and such, so as long as I can survive, I've got no complaints. Nevertheless, I'd still like to get into it. I'm working independently on my own project, but it's not like getting paid to make games. This is just for fun.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I was well into it for a while, but its a hard industry to get into, and a harder job to keep, so I dropped my dream and went for a more widely accepting role. I think I made the right decision, for now. I might move back at some point, if I can

megaraccoon

Dec 7, 2010
i'd love too but i failed miserably in IT in school i was way better at creative writing and history

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I'd like to make games in the future. I even have an idea for a game, but I currently don't have the know-how to make it.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
I would really love to write for games in some capacity like David Gaider, I know it is totally different from writing film, TV or magazines but I would still love to write for a game company. But I have no technical wizardry just writing skills so that's why I'd rather write for one than make one.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
This is one of those areas where it would be better if it didn't require a college degree.
Well you don't, not really anyway. It's still a young industry so a degree might help, but it's no where near as valuable in getting a job as a great portfolio or already having experience (such as all these indie people who break into the industry). Most of the people that are in the industry already got there with unrelated degrees and experience, or sheer luck.

A lot of places I've heard from consider the game design degrees to be just glorified multimedia degrees anyway.

...I'm assuming you meant design or something similar, and not the art or programming sides. But even then I'm assuming the portfolio is the most important thing.

As the above would suggest, I'm serious about making games myself. I'm half-way through my degree (highest-credited gaming university in Australia <-brag goes here), despite me having no need at all for the degree itself (hell, the stuff you learn on the way is valuable), I've spoken to people in the industry, I know what I'd be getting myself into. Money be damned.

That said, I'm specifically hoping to make it in the indie side of things. I don't find working for a major developer/publisher appealing compared to a small team working on something unusual. Most people I mention that to don't understand why, but I have my reasons.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I would love to, and it is on the top of the list for careers I want, but not exactly planning on getting into it. I've been working on some small crap games in my free time, and will hopefully make something decent and get it finished someday, even if I don't get into the game development field.

Serris said:
i'm enrolled in college in the course "digital arts and entertainment", which teaches me everything i need to develop triple A titles.

so, yes, i would really really like to make games.
Erm... really? Doesn't sound like it would include programming.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah my skills aren't in programming or concept art so I guess I technically fall under the mass category of people saying "I'll be the ideas guy!" hurr

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
I've heard professional game design involves long hours, tight deadlines and relatively low pay. I think I'll pass on that front; games are never as fun when you've toiled for hours making them.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd like to, but doubt it'd happen. What with my radical new ideas of not putting DRM on my games, trying new things instead of churning out sequels, and thinking of new ways to play instead of doing the same thing everyone else does.

Publishers don't like that, and they're the ones with the money. So yeah.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I've been designing games even before I had a computer. The programming/art/implementation part, that's hard.

Jul 22, 2009
Definitely, as soon as I can be bothered I'll start really putting effort into learning coding and churning out basic games for experience.

I don't think I'd spend my whole life in gaming though... I can imagine settling down later on to work as a technician or teacher or something.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Nah, not my thing. But I do thank those who do so, those guys and girls are the best!

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
I considered making games when I was deciding my degree. I have been CG modeling since I was 14 as a hobby and have always loved it, have dabled in codeing (only ever made a couple of "games" in blender though never had acsess to unreal engine/other market leaders), done a couple of animations (proper ones not the stickman ones which everyone used to make) and I am creative.
But then I looked into it, the creativity of it is fairly limited by tech, and even if you do sucseed chances are youll be working on a (insert whatever turns into the new COD/halo) clone. I have also veiwed it kinda as a rockstar dream, in the sense that when I hear people talking about their job going to be making games I automatically think "yea right, not gonna happen".
In the end I didnt apply for it, I choose architecture, but deep down I still kinda think that in a few years when I fully qualify I may try to get hired to design in game architecture. that would be the best of both worlds, (no engeenering to worry about aswell ;) )

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I honestly believe that making games might be a very poor career choice for a gamer. Playing a finished product is miles away from pitching it for funds, writting code, debugging, playtesting etc...

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
My buddies are about to graduate with game design degrees. I've done my share of helping them out with the games they've worked on but I have no desire to get into game design full time. I'm a teacher and with good reason.