Question of the Day, July 10, 2010

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
I enjoy being the goodie, running about with enough power and persuasion to influence the world around me and make it a fairer place. Being referred to as "Supreme One" and causing spontaneous applause in Fable might've had something to do with this.

Ego boosts aside, there's a bit more challenge in being a goodie. Anyone can raid a castle, kill the inhabitants, and make off with the booty but it takes considerably more effort and style to assay the castle's inhabitants, find out that most of them are oppressed slaves, lead the uprising, and leave with a gift of gold and heartfelt thanks.

And if I feel that being good just isn't satisfying enough, I'll just pop in Dante's Inferno and hand out some divine retribution with a scythe.

Feb 13, 2008
Depends. My slave-race would say I'm good, but that's because I randomly kill some of them just to keep them on their toes.

I certainly wouldn't think of killing a kitten...much.

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
It really does depends, but considering that nine times out of ten I play the good guy anyways, I'm going to have to go with that one.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
As hard as I try whenever I use my 'play it how I would do it in real life' tactic I end up being as Yahtzee put it: 'A virtuous flower-child'.

I have to actively TRY to be the bad guy in games.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
The bad guys. You generally end up with better weapons, better armor, more money, and more freedom.

Plus I enjoy watching civilians flee in my presence.

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
I'm more of a neutral kind of guy; not bad, but not good either. Then again, I'll work for whomever is offering the better benefits.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Depends, I'll use Mass Effect as my example. I did my first play through making whatever choices I felt like and I ended up slightly more paragon. Next I did an entirely renegade play through just for fun, I think it was a little more fun.

Though most games are not like mass effect for good vs evil, so if there is a clear choice between playing a good or evil path I take the good first most times and the evil the second time around.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I like being the bad guy in video games but from the games I've played the morality always seem to favor being the good guy. You get a lot more benifits, which sucks. Perfect example would be Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2. You kill or bully someone for information instead of asking nicely, and later the person is dead so you dont get to talk to then and possibly get some sort of loot.

Another example would be Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Its hella fun to be the prick in those games, but its also annoying. In Oblivion, if you kill someone near guards, they'll be chasing you for at least an hour, and god forbid, dont bother going anywhere near a town for at least a week. Similarly for Fallout 3, I wanna blow up Megaton, I really do, but theres a lot of missions there that give you perks and good loot!

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I really only like playing as good, I mean I can start a bad character but after the few initial conflicts with people I just get really tired of trying to be a huge dick. Being the hero you get that recognition of doing the good deeds without everyone hating you only the select few that are evil and hate you for being good.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Usually on the good-leaning side of neutral. I kind of have a hard time being a dick, which means I've got a lot of "be an arsewipe" achievements left locked.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Mostly good.

For example, the wasteland in Fallout 3 is empty enough. Why make it even more empty by killing people?

That said, if I can take the "evil without violence", aka "thief" approach, I usually do.

I guess...I'm the noble thief.

Its Robin Hood!

I don't usually play RPGs but when I do, I like to be Good. But if I feel like mindless killing, I go Bad.

Naheal said:
I prefer the anti-hero route.
Thank you for reminding me. I love being an Anti-Hero