Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Wait? Isn't relieving stress and depression one of the main purposes of games (in the broad sense (yes, that means it includes tag and hide & seek)) and entertainment?

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Yup, It always helps me calm down and collect my thoughts. But I'm not sure about depression...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
If it wasn't for games, I would probably be in a psycho ward somewhere.
They're much cheaper than therapy.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Video games are how I decompress after a rough day at work. They definitely relieve my stress...I don't know about depression, though. I've never been depressed, as far as I know.

The Righteous One

Jul 12, 2010
Maybe stress, maybe depression. But I think it will depend on the person playing it. For me and I think a lot of people it's just an escape from boring normal life. Just an activity to waste some hours in.

joemu362

Jul 5, 2010
It depends on what game and what particular bad mood I'm in. I've found Guitar Hero to be a great little depression whacker when played with my roommates, more because of the antics we get into rather than the actual game itself.

Stress? Bring on the zombies, Left 4 Dead. Bring those mealy-mouthed corpses on.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think it relieves my stress, but distracts me from whatever is causing me stress, which isn't the same thing in my opinion. And I've never been truly depressed so I can comment on that one.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I absolutely believe it. Nothing reduces stress and helps you forget about how crap our world is like shooting gangbangers, zombies or aliens.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Where's the, "no, they make it worse" option? I'm scared to death of making an ass out of myself on Warcraft 3, and Guild Wars puts my anger levels up to crazy heights.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Games won't put my mind away from very important issues, but they will help me pass the time and have some fun.

They CAN add to your stress though, when your team mates are complete dickwads and the other team is gaining up on you.