Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Usually. Games that scare the crap out of me are better, because my response to fear is hysterics. XD

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Most definitely. A few months ago I was severely stressed as it came to the last few days before my degree dissertation was due in. I knew it was garbage and that there was no way to finish it before the deadline. I was very close to cracking and there was no one I could go to for help or simply for a hug. It came to the point where some seriously dark thoughts were going through my head and I was almost in hysterics. I just stopped what I was doing watched an episode of Firefly and played some "Flower". It saved me from having a breakdown, or worse. Maybe a hot bath would have done the same thing and some credit has to go to Firefly, but that's beside the point. A game forces you to engage and become engrossed and it washed away the dark thoughts.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I've known this for a long time. I play violent games when I feel angry to help me feel better.

It beats doing drugs, or drinking or beating up something.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
Absolutely, without my beloved video games, I would most certainly have gone insane by now.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I wish there was a sometimes option. Sometimes they do, when I'm playing some game that challenges me but I'm still having fun, then there's retarded games like Demon's Souls where I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Well sometimes..
I mean isn't that one of the reasons we all love playing video games so much?

To escape our stresses and problems? and if its not to escape problems
then its to escape to being the savior, or destruct-er of these realms that are truly only real in our heads.

Don't we all love that feeling as though your the baddest "mutha effer" in a game?
Like "BRING IT NPC your so foolish to challenge me!" Its so fun being that guy!

The reason for me at least, that it only sometimes reduces stress and anger is that you can not go into a game pissed off at the world and want to deliver these fake pixels your wrath its not enough. Games aren't real and when we go into them to knowingly escape, we realize were only running.

In my alcohol induced opinion anyway. :D

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
For me it's more of a distraction. As soon as I stop I'll start focusing on everything again.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
UH YES

Since i can't (or ... can i?) do this [below] in real life i'd at least like to simulate it

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Yep, definitely relieve my stress.

Especially when PVPing.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They relieve me of boredom.

They probably help me ignore stress, but that's not the same as relieving it. As for depression, I'm not clinically depressed so there's nothing to relieve; bit of an odd question.