Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
When I'm having a bad day I go home and play Smash Bros. Always makes me feel better. GTA IV is quickly catching up to SSBB though.

daskat

Nov 4, 2009
Yeas and no. Depends on the person and the video game and also the combination of both.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Certainly! without them I'd go insane from stress!

Or i might be more of a book or movie nerd.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I feel like some videogames stress you out a lot while your playing them so then when you're done you feel de-stressed.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Very, very, very rarely and only if I am in a reasonable mood.

I found that sometimes, basic grinding might help me temporarily help me shift focus and calm down (I mean REEEAAAAALLY basic grinding, of the Pokemon or collect all the treasure chests in Assasin's Creed type), but it doesn't work if I am too stressed or depressed.

To tell you the truth, if I am not feeling too good with myself, I cannot enjoy a video game, so I avoid them in any form.

Playing the guitar, walking it off or simply watching one of the living-room walls are my stress reliefs.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
I can never forget my problems when I'm playing video games. Thankfully, I live a pretty ordinary life and don't have many problems to begin with.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Yes it relaxes me. It's an alternative to listening to loud music on my hifi and physical exercise.

newfiegirl 110

May 10, 2010
I think that it does go a long ways in easing depression...or even just lightening your mood if you aren't depressed. When you're frequently stuck in the hospital for weeks on end...being able to hit/smash/maim and kill are all wonderful diversions.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
if i'm doin well yes. if i'm doing shit i just get more pissed off.

or i could play spiderman 2 and just...swing

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
It does but there is always that one game that will cause stress and induce depression because you simply can't beat (which isn't the case with most games nowadays).Then the satisfaction of you totally owning that said games is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!

....so yea games help :D

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
To me, this is a stupid question. It certainly depends on the video game, (GoW or Mario?) but if you said no to this then you're either not a gamer, or you've never found a game you're truly passionate about.

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Wouldn't say relieve, more divert me. They don't cure anything but they stop you thinking about it for a while.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, generally. They relieve stress, and usually at least alleviate depression somewhat - it's hard to feel depressed if not 5 minutes ago you cut an evil alien in half with a chainsaw, or saved a princess, or blown up a galaxy etc etc

So yes.

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
Yes it does. I'm an active gamer but weirdly gaming isn't my solve for stress. For some reason I prefer watching TV when I want to just relax. I watch series' though not movies because I lose interest after watching it an hour straight.