Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yes, but they are not unique in that regard. Reading books, listening to music and just being kept busy in general have the same effect.

The problem is that once I run out of things to do or things that interest me then it all starts creeping back in.

So of course they combat the symptoms as opposed to the cause.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I wish there was an "other" option, it really depends on the game... and it can also depend on the type of stress that your under!

Playing video games when, for example, your under stress because of workload, will only make me feel worse because I know I need to do work, not sit around playing games.

On the other hand, if its stress to do with social issues, etc, a good play on the PS3 can help you relax and think more about the situation.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Definitely. Playing a nice strategy game makes me forget any worries I have in a few minutes.

Rattler5150

Jul 9, 2010
after a hard day at work, I would sometimes load up Quake 3 arena, load a map with lots of bots, and just blast away to unwind, it would feel good afterward, a good stress reliever

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I clicked yes, but when I thought about it, the answers no.
It just takes my mind off them for a little while, it doesn't get rid of them.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
Yea they normally do. Sometime though I do just get really bored and i feel terrible playing videogames. Thats when i know its time to go out and actually hang out with some people.

Les Awesome

Mar 29, 2010
well sometimes video games cause depression I mean think of the money you
spent on games and consoles and worse still think of all the time you spent on them
especially world of warcraft
for more of what I'm talking about click the link
http://screwattack.com/videos/The-Only-Thing-I-Know

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I live with little stress.
I believe it is my perspective on the subject.
As in being stressed out or depressed serves little to no purpose.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Can't say anything about depression, but stress is either relieved or increased depending on the game. Intensive shooters or platformers can stress me out, while slower thinking games like RPGs or point & clicks(accompanied by a beer or two) takes a load off.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't say relieves stress more it sidelines stress, which in the end causes stress pluss interest.

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
Yes they do. But sometimes they also create depressions and what not. And some games do get me quite stressed, say when I'm trying to beat my best friend's highscore in some arcade game.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
stress yes depression no probably makes depression worse so i put yes because one out of 2 is not bad

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Nothing like booting up The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and just smash things to bits.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Abso-bloody-lutely.

There are few better ways to drive off the blues.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I believe i was suicidally depressed for... a little over year and a half. Video Games were my crutch, but they did their job, and now im depression free :D I'm hitting on cute redheads without a care in the world!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I totally believe it. Although, I can think of an occasion or two when a troublesome boss adds a little bit more stress. Though, that stress is easily conquered, namely by beating said boss.