Question of the Day, July 27, 2010

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Honestly, it gets boring after one week of playing an MMO (Battlefield Heroes and Need For Speed). After that, I just quit. Now I'm playing another beta MMO and I can't stand having to play versus just to level up and I keep on losing due to me being a low level and dealing with lag. And it's only been one day since I got access.

And this is why I'm more comfortable playing RPGs and not MMORPGs or anything MMO related.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Grinding quests, yes. Smashing my face into mobs over and over? Fuck no.

You can also grind instances now, with WoW at least. I don't mind doing that.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
grinding? *sniggers & thinks puerile thoughts*

Nah, never saw the point - even the sword fighting in Monkey Island was too much grind for me!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Yeah I do enjoy the grind, but mostly when its against monsters that have a chance to kill you in a few shots. Theres just something about having that feeling of death that can screw you over. I'd rather be alone though, I hate how all MMOs basically force you to party up if you don't wanna spend millions of hours leveling instead of the normal thousand :p

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
You could say I don't play MMOGs because of grinding.

Although I'm still happy to wander around fighting only level 2 Pidgeys so my Hitmonlee can have optimal Attack and Speed stats.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
My definition of grinding is staying in one area and killing the same mobs for hours on end trying to gain levels. That's not fun, and I dropped my first MMO because of it. Now, I do believe that effort should be required to gain power in an MMO, so I don't mind quests as a means to level. I prefer a system where I travel the world and do different tasks for experience instead of tedious assembly line slaughter.

So essentially: Runescape < WoW Questing

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Not really... "Grinding" by its definition is an unfun chore that is thrown into games in order to make them last longer. If it was fun, it would be called "gameplay" rather than "Grinding"

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
I can handle it, to some degree. My friends on the other hand...

Well see, my friends have all played RuneScape for as long as I can remember. I tried it out once or twice, but to me, it was horrendously grindy and boring. My friends on the other hand, are willing to go on that game, and do the same menial tasks(Not even fighting monsters mind you, crap like woodcutting and cooking) over and over again for hours and hours and hours to get their levels up. I can do some grinding, but I have no idea how my friends manage it while keeping their sanity. I'm talking like, 7 hour sessions of menial grinding, stopping only to eat and relieve themselves. It's madness.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I prefer 'grinding' to just being given stuff on a platter. It's a rare MMO that can give a feeling of progression, and that progression an inherent value, without grinding - in fact the only one I've come across that doesn't just put a new spin on grinding is EVE Online, in which the money I pay to be able to play also underpins my skill progression, thusly lending value.

In other words, the only way I've come across to give a player a feeling of progression, and that progression value, is to either have them 'grind', or have them pay for skill accumulation over time. I have yet to find any other answer to this problem (not that I dislike grinding, when it's appropriately balanced, especially if the game setting makes some attempt at thematic justification).

In fact, you could argue that even paying with real money (in-game money doesn't count, 'cause you probably had to 'grind' to earn it) for progression is still grinding after a fashion, 'cause you're paying for progression with what you got from 'grinding' during your work day.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Two Yes options but only one No? The no option that is there is far from strong enough for me... grinding is bloody horrible.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
tkioz said:
Two Yes options but only one No? The no option that is there is far from strong enough for me... grinding is bloody horrible.
Kinda balanced out by the fact that the first Yes is self-defeating. I kinda wonder about those checked it.

Solemn Soup

Jul 27, 2010
It all depends, I don't mind grinding if theres a good reward in the end that makes all my time worth it, but if there isn't anything for it then no I wouldn't want to grind through the game.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
If I need to relax... But, then again...

Yureina said:
Not really... "Grinding" by its definition is an unfun chore that is thrown into games in order to make them last longer. If it was fun, it would be called "gameplay" rather than "Grinding"
...pretty much nails it. If I'm grinding, I'm either not having fun or it's not a grind.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't play MMOs, I haven't yet seen one overcome my 2 biggest issues with MMOs, namely subscription fees and the other players (Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory).