Question of the Day, July 27, 2010

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
You see... this is tough. Because I only like grind in MMOs, not single player RPGs. Because normally through that grind, I get to have small conversations with the people passing by, join their parties, and end up meeting some really cool people. It's not the grinding itself, it's what can be achieved through the grinding other than just getting EXP.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
It depends on how much grind is necessary.

For example, the grinding in WoW, EQ or DnD isn't actually that bad compared to, say, FFXI or the dreaded FlyFF/Silkroad grindfest clusterfucks.

The last two examples make it worse because grinding is the only way to level up in those games due to the quests giving shit amounts of experience, or gear that was made obsolete ten levels ago.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
You're kidding, right? Eve's got more grind in it even than most Asian MMO's!
All of the possible grinding (basically just missions and mining) is completely optional, and I don't do it. The way your character progresses does not depend on you being there therefore isn't grinding. You can quite easily get the most out of EVE without any "grind".

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I can't think of anything worse in the world than grinding. This poll is missing an extreme option, such as, "I'd rather jab a fork in my eye than grind for an hour."

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
You see... this is tough. Because I only like grind in MMOs, not single player RPGs. Because normally through that grind, I get to have small conversations with the people passing by, join their parties, and end up meeting some really cool people. It's not the grinding itself, it's what can be achieved through the grinding other than just getting EXP.
Couldn't you do the same thing by joining random chat groups on IRC? It seems odd to do something that isn't enjoyable in the hopes of randomly encountering people, when there are entire sites built just for the purposes of meeting people. Even if you wanted to use a game as an ice-breaker, you could play other games online, such as board games, and still get to meet new people and chat. Heck, I've met some nice people and had great conversations on TF2, and when I wasn't chatting with people, I still got to enjoy the game.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
elexis said:
Lawyer105 said:
You're kidding, right? Eve's got more grind in it even than most Asian MMO's!
All of the possible grinding (basically just missions and mining) is completely optional, and I don't do it. The way your character progresses does not depend on you being there therefore isn't grinding. You can quite easily get the most out of EVE without any "grind".
Well, technically all your 'advancement' comes from skill training, which is purely based on time passed. True.

But what you're ignoring is that, no matter how awesome your skills are, you've gotta have some way of a) buying new skills to train, b) buying that awesome new T1/2/3 widget you've always dreamed of, or c) paying insurance on your ship or clone.

And you need money for that.

And about the only way to get money (short of having people just give it to you all the time) is grind. You can pop rocks, grind manuf, grind missions, grind rats, camp gates etc. But one way or another, without MASSIVE amounts of grind, your Eve-toon ain't going nowhere.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
for some reason i do like grinding although when you look at it it should be boring...i find the same applies for harvest moon

Hexador

Dec 28, 2007
Needs an "I don't hate it" option.
Sometimes I was totally in to grinding when I used to play WoW. It really all depended on if any one I liked talking to was online or if there were any horde around that could put up a fight.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
It can get very boring but if there is enough variety in things to do it becomes much more bearable.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Aylaine said:
I like the grind if I get to feel good at the end. ;)

But really, I like grinding if it's fun. Certain aspects can make grinding less of a chore and more enjoyable. WoW proves this with a number of it's newer quests that aren't wack x amount of trees for x sap.
That would have been a "Spray liquid everywhere" moment, if it was intended to sound as naughty as it did.
I did crack a giggle though, lack of liquid an all.

OT: On the subject of grinding, I'm pretty easy going about it all. It really used to bog me down and frustrate me but for some reason when Aion rolled around I found myself ignoring it and getting on with the job.
I used to spend hours a day grinding for my levels and specific loots, rolled around with the daeva armour on a Ranger and a Templar for some pvp centric fun too.

There's pro's and cons too it I suppose and it really depends on how you view them, whilst it's boring and repetitive, grinding in the right spot can bring extra funds and better quality items.
It's all about how you look at it compared to your other options.

I pretty much "grind" dungeons in WoW to level now, I find these a little more tedious than just sitting in an open map and wailing away on some random boars for four hours.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
No, but I like grinding in real life! LAWL!
Yeah, sorry, I'll stop that.

I don't really play MMOs. I got sucked into Runescape a long time ago, so I know the kind of time and money that can get flushed away playing them.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
I don't play MMO's, there's not nearly enough shooting for for my twitch addled brain.
That's why I wanted to play APB. So I got the beta key from Rock Paper Shotgun, downloaded the trial, installed, put up with daily lack of internet, finally connected my gaming PC to the internet, discovered the beta was over, swore profusely, downloaded the 40 something patches there were for TF2, played that for 4 hours, tried to figure out when I would be able to connect my computer again, figured out it would be in 3 months time, swore again, played APB at a LAN Cafe and discovered that it was so imbalanced it would take me 20 hours to be able to hold my own in a fight.

THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE IS:

Realtime Worlds (game dev) tried to do everything they could to make APB a game appealing to both casual and hardcore players. They had everything right, the two payment systems, the matchmaking system, everything except the leveling system. The players who got in first got the best weapons first, the best cars first, and the most cash first. Leaving everybody else to, quite literally, fight over the scraps.

Is this the correct place for this post: probably not. Does it have a point: eventually. Will anyone bother to read this far: if you did I will send you your own Kirby via PM (mailorder also accepted, $1.50 charge)

jeejvebe

Jun 3, 2010
It's all about the combat, if the combat is interesting then the grind won't be too bad. But it usually isn't.

drdamo

May 17, 2010
I played WoW for quite some time and didn't mind the grind as long as there where quests involved. But after getting 4k quests done on 3 chars, the fun faded faster then a sun going supernova.
And for some reason i couldn't enjoy the raiding grind even if properly motivated, not even if a girl would go Monica Lewinski on me while trying to.

Its probably a loot thing as i've had some great fun grinding till near-infinity with Diablo 2.