Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

Epic and Microsoft have claimed that it has not abandoned the PC, and it will save PC gaming, respectively. Do you think PC gaming is a lost cause?

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Hell to the no! PC Gaming is the past, the present, and the future. Not to mention awesome.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Fail question.

If anything, consoles are growing more and more to look like the PC. The future will have a single kind of console, which obviously will look like the PC, since it's used to everything. The simplistic nature of the console is what makes it inferior.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Buh... wuh..? How many times must it be said that PC gaming is nowhere near dead. Also, there needs to be a few more options for this to be a reasonable poll.

EDIT: Also, inb4 that image of PC gaming "dying"

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
PC gaming is not dead at all. Console gaming is just more popular becuase it's easier. You don't have to make sure a console has has the specs to handle a game, you just plug it in and go. That's in my opinion anyway.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Not at all. PC gaming is still going strong, however with the rise of console only releases a few 'AAA' games haven't been on the PC platform.

The other important factor is the way developers sometimes release half finished products (like Epic's very own Unfinished Tournament 3) and end up patching it 3/4 times to make it playable (or making unsatsifactory console ports for the PC).

I think it is also good to mention that Steam has also helped PC gaming in many many ways by means of its digital distribution service (which is going to Playstation at some point in the near future).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't know about "reigns supreme" anymore, but it certainly isn't dying or dead.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
No way.

Even though I'm a primarily a console gamer, I've been converted over to the PC gaming side courtesy of a Steam account and a gifting of TF2.
I may be getting a copy of Windows XP/7 if I can find it, and then PC gaming = taking over in my gaming arena!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nah, not just yet.

Some better quality ports would be nice though.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Neither. It's the same equally viable option it's always been. It does some things better than consoles, but that doesn't make it "supreme."

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
10 bucks says someone brings that one picture in here... you know the one. EDIT: What did I tell you...

Obviously not... it's not as strong as it used to be, but it's not dead. Just the fact that this many people are still playing Counter-Strike and the fact that it has one of the most active online communities out there after all these years should tell you something. There aren't as many PC exclusives, but it's still the best for most multiplatform games.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I don't think so. Comparatively, it's much better playing on PC than consoles, for me at least. I enjoy Left 4 Dead and Oblivion more on PC than on Xbox. I switched in the last six months and it is far better.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
10 bucks says someone brings that one picture in here... you know the one.

Obviously not... it's not as strong as it used to be, but it's not dead. Just the fact that this many people are still playing Counter-Strike and the fact that it has one of the most active online communities out there after all these years should tell you something. There aren't as many PC exclusives, but it's still the best for most multiplatform games.
It seems you were ninja'd by the picture itself.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Yeah there's no way in hell that PC gaming is going away. As long as they keep making RPGs, I will always be a PC gamer.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Valve has done a hell of a lot more for PC gaming and gamers in the last decade than Microsoft and Epic combined. IMHO.