Question of the Day, June 12, 2010

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I thought those Robot Chicken billboards in Battlefield Bad Company were awesome(at the time, Robot Chicken was my favorite show).

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I don't really mind them, since all the real life ads I've seen on billboards in games have been American ads for American products, therefore they've been as bizarre and irrelevant to me as made up adverts for fictitious products.

I've never really noticed them that much, been distracted by them or found them immersion breaking because they're as alien to me as the game world.

However, I can understand that if you're bombarded with these adverts in real life and on TV, then you may resent their presence in games which, after all, are suppose to offer escapism from the real world.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
If it doesn't distract from the game, I.e. i'm trying to choose a weapon and it comes up with "the lynx effect" i'd be annoyed. But say during the loading screen etc.

But, this advertising should be helping me as the gamer either by allowing for free content, or a cheaper game. I don't want any advertising if i'm not going to get anything for suffering through it. Even if it's said to keep up the servers i'll be ok, just not simply because "we want more moneys from you lolz, u pay us monthly subscription to now k?"

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
If it adds to the immersion, and makes the game cost less, than yes.

Otherwise, no. And none of that ten second video before you can do anything bullshit, either.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Metal Gear Solid always does it very well. It's not just product placement, but adds a bit of humor and functionality. Like the iPod and Playboy magazines in MGS4.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I don't mind it as long as it fits the game setting, and is more subtle than this:

A-Heart-Of-Gold

Apr 25, 2010
If you were to put a drinks machine in a sandbox game then it would seem lodgical to put branding in it but if you are always tripping over adverts I don't think that would be good! For example in Bionic Commando!

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
I say it depends how it fits in.

If they were advertising in GTA, putting adverts on billboards, on the side of bus stops, in the subway on flyers, that would be awesome and add to the immersion for me.

Having an advert say every loading screen would be evil and cruel.

Salviar

Dec 5, 2009
I think that in a game where the terrain is something set in a mall or a city then subtle advertisements on billboards of shop windows might actually help with the atmosphere.
But if, say, a tampon ad was thrown into the middle of something like Red Dead Redemption then no, let's not do that. Please.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I say no, and the reason is not because of immersion, or the ads "fitting in". The reason is, of course, money. Why do companies put advertisements in their games? To make money. Of course, they'd be making money from the game anyway, so it really all comes down to lots more money. And you know what? I hate that. I don't see why I should have to pay for all these advertisements.

If you're going to put advertisements in your game, I honestly don't mind, as long as I don't have to pay for it. Make the game cheaper. I don't want to pay for damn advertisements just because you're getting greedy.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
As long as it fits in the game, sure, I don't mind.

For example, if there's an occasional Mountain Dew billboard in a game like Left 4 Dead 2 then it'll add immersion.

Hopefully we don't see any [Mountain Sword of Dew] in World of Warcraft though...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I like how Borderlands did it in Knoxx. Advertised their first two DLC, and also made up fake products to advertise (Engorge!). But, anyway, if it is done right, I could care less about advertisements.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Depends. Some times they fit in well like in a spider man I played they had massive bill boards of advertisements but I forgave for noticeing theem because I was running up them at the same time. (They might have been fake advertisements or made by the game) I feel at that point it was a good idea for advertisements in a game. When some games come up with their own advertisements in a game they can be quite funny (trying to think of a game and failing) but that's not realy the point here. Most other places it doesn't fit well and shouldn't be in games.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If done well and not completely obvious, I'm fine with it. MLB 10 does this really well.