Question of the Day, June 12, 2010

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I see nothing wrong with it if it fits, hell it provides funding for the gaming company.

I see Fallout being a game which could do this well with old billboards and such.

Assassin Xaero said:
I like how Borderlands did it in Knoxx. Advertised their first two DLC, and also made up fake products to advertise (Engorge!). But, anyway, if it is done right, I could care less about advertisements.
Agreed, but the phrase is "I couldn't care less".

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
The only place where advertisements belong in games are in-universe, and only in contemporary urban settings - on billboards and such. City-building simulators could be ideal for that sort of thing. Otherwise, no deal.

thejayk

Jun 8, 2010
As long as they blend into the game instead of just bam! Giant banner ad for a cell phone

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Legion said:
I see nothing wrong with it if it fits, hell it provides funding for the gaming company.

I see Fallout being a game which could do this well with old billboards and such.

Assassin Xaero said:
I like how Borderlands did it in Knoxx. Advertised their first two DLC, and also made up fake products to advertise (Engorge!). But, anyway, if it is done right, I could care less about advertisements.
Agreed, but the phrase is "I couldn't care less".
How do you know I'm not trying to be sneaky and advertise the DevilDriver song "I Could Care Less"? o_O

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
thejayk said:
As long as they blend into the game instead of just bam! Giant banner ad for a cell phone
*Alan Wake* Cough cough.

As long as it fits in the game universe, but even then it must be used carefully. The "Boob Tube" Achievement in Alan Wake was the most immersion breaking instance of product placement ever.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
If it's advertisements of fictional things, that are needed for the atmosphere, yes. Otherwise, firmly no.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Depends on the context. If the game world is an exact replica or perhaps based on a real world environs (like say a race track with related sponsors etc, then it seems reasonable - fits immersion also) or a city landscape with billboards/whatever also seems feasible.

However adding adverts in for the hell of it, completely ruining the game space/immersion is not tolerable.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Only if they are done right. The Shanghai level in Splinter Cell: Double Agent actually represents both it done well and it done completely wrong. Allow me to elaborate.

The Good: Most of the bottles in the hotel room bathrooms say "Nivea for Men" on them, clearly a product placement. It's believable since those would have been soaps supplied by the hotel so it makes sense that they would all be the same brand, so why not that specific brand?

The Bad: There is a huge "Nivea for Men" in the entire top 1/7[sup]th[/sup] of a skyscraper which looks hugely out of place and just pasted on.

The Ugly: Judging from Sam Fisher's appearance in this game, he clearly uses none of the stuff he promotes.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
I was running through a terrorist villa in Rainbow Six Vegas 2 when I noticed one of the terrorists had a 'Dr Pepper Iron Man 2' poster in his room.

I found it odd that such groups who are dedicated to the fall of capitalism and america would have such a poster in his/her room, but hey who knows?

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
I forget which year but I remember a Fifa game on 360 that had PS3 ads because it had to replicate the actual stadium it was at.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
In Crackdown, which was a game supposed to be about a future world run by a corrupt totalitarian government, there was a billboard for a 2007 Chevrolet vehicle.
That is a problem.
Otherwise, I don't care that much, as long as it fits.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Depends on the game really, I almost feel off my chair laughing the first time I saw a TAC advertisement ("If you drink and drive you're a bloody idea" I think) in Saints Row 2. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Okay, firstly and most importantly, if the money gained through ingame advertising means better games at lower prices, then yes.

Secondly, as an example, R6Vegas 2, the MLG convention, yes, that's an okay place to put your graphics card and upcoming game title ads. Spouting how great your new graphics card is on a huge bilboard in the middle of a desert in Iraq is NOT the right place, I'm looking at YOU Battlefield 2.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not paying $60 to have a game loaded with ads, maybe if they dropped the price by around $10 I'd feel a bit differently...

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Depends, I enjoy the cool Billboards that keep up to date with new movie releases, or other things. I feel it keeps the realism up, and its also gives a better sense of immersion.

What I don't like is the in your face ones.