Question of the Day, March 24, 2010

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
coldalarm said:
I don't run around proclaiming mine (the same for most people), so why should it be "acceptable" for others to effectively scream about it?
That argument i hear about lots listening top oliticial discussion about whenver gay parades should be allowed or banned in my country.
Thing is, if You are straight, the so called majority will not call you a freak whenever you mention it. You wont be banned from public for saying it, and most likely you wont be treated like sub-person for saying so. Basicly you can do it with no consequence what so ever..maybe except few curious stares if you happen to scream about it in the middle of a street.
Thats what LGBT communities that i talked with generlaly want to achive, to not have to pretend they are sraight in public to get acceptation and equal treatment. But sure, there are extreems just like in every conflict, and some of the queer communities will be quite intrusive or even overly dramatic with their sexual orientation.

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
KoreyGM said:
Lowbreed said:
I'm just not so sure why? Is it reckoned that it would cut down on the "******!" namecalling?
Well as south park indicated people don't call each other fags because they think they're gay, its more like douchebag. But I'm not sure about this, I think people would abuse it.
You think I have any faith that a reduction in namecalling would ever come about?
Seriously?

Feb 13, 2008
KoreyGM said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
No. Sexual preference has no relevance to naming. The only reason to have it in the name is exhibitionism.

Your avatar may not even share your preference.
So do you also agree that women shouldn't be able to indicate their gender in their tag?
I'd say that any gender doesn't need to identify their gender in their tag unless it's relevant to their avatar. ( There will obviously be likely to be "Lady" etc. but they don't have to be female)

Edit due to Edit: Sniper is relevant if that's what you're named for, in the same way that "Dog" isn't actually a Dog.

Tags are usually how others see you, not how you are seen. Therefore, relevance is key.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Lowbreed said:
KoreyGM said:
Lowbreed said:
I'm just not so sure why? Is it reckoned that it would cut down on the "******!" namecalling?
Well as south park indicated people don't call each other fags because they think they're gay, its more like douchebag. But I'm not sure about this, I think people would abuse it.
You think I have any faith that a reduction in namecalling would ever come about?
Seriously?
That's not what I said, I said fag generally isn't even used to refer to a gay person specifically.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
KoreyGM said:
No. Sexual preference has no relevance to naming. The only reason to have it in the name is exhibitionism.

So do you also agree that women shouldn't be able to indicate their gender in their tag?
I'd say that any gender doesn't need to identify their gender in their tag unless it's relevant to their avatar. ( There will obviously be likely to be "Lady" etc. but they don't have to be female)
So by your avatar linking logic if you had a male character wearing a dress then it would be relevant and they could indicate their sexual preference in their tag, is that what you are saying?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
TheFacelessOne said:
Keep it clean,

And I won't care.
Yaaay, I have found someone to relate too.

It shall always be clean. You can be black and have "Immablackman" as your gamertag, which is cool, but you can't have "ImmaNigga", black or not.

So as long as they don't call themselves "dykes" or "Faggots", or anything else like that, it's cool

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
KoreyGM said:
KoreyGM said:

So by your avatar linking logic if you had a male character wearing a dress then it would be relevant and they could indicate their sexual preference in their tag, is that what you are saying?
How does that indicate their sexual preference? Being a transvestite =/= sexual preference

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Lowbreed said:
i wouldent think so, because idiots will still be idiots if you know what i mean.

OT: i think its a bad idea, sence it would just give people more ammo for the flame wars.

Feb 13, 2008
KoreyGM said:
Nope, because it's not relevant. Transvestites don't have a relevant preference. "The Man Who Wears Dresses" would be fine.

And it's a relevant to how people see you. Not how you see yourself. You can call yourself "Ace", but people are still going to add the "-hole" on the end.
/Red_Dwarf

Edit: High-fives Hubilub.

Jun 13, 2009
No, simply because the more emphasis is put on any form of sexual preference the more fixated we become with it. The only way we're ever going to get passed this childish obsession with calling people out and insulting them based entirely off their sexual preferences is when people can forget about the damn thing and realise there's more to a person than who or what they go for.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I can't see any purpose for it. Anymore so than making your preference for chocolate or vanilla publicly known. I think it should be permissible, and I don't honestly care if someone calls themself "CAPTAIN_HETERO-SUPERBABELOVER" in their screen name. Even in comic sans font. Though I might find it slighty amusing.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
GAH! Can't there be one place on this planet where I don't have to hear or see about someone's sexual preference-tilt? I don't need to know everything about l33tG4m3r666 and if he/she/it wants to bop a plastic doll named Pat. Leave it offline.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
KoreyGM said:
Nope, because it's not relevant. Transvestites don't have a relevant preference. "The Man Who Wears Dresses" would be fine.

And it's a relevant to how people see you. Not how you see yourself. You can call yourself "Ace", but people are still going to add the "-hole" on the end.
/Red_Dwarf

Edit: High-fives Hubilub.
What I'm trying to get at is why should someone have to look gay to say they are gay?

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I suppose there's no harm in it, but I really don't care. As long as you're not griefing me, I could scarcely care less what your sexual orientation is.

Then again, if people start doing this, we could turn online multiplayer into a grand dating service. With rocket launchers and machine guns.

orc1231515

Mar 18, 2010
I couldn't care less about the preference of my fellow gamers, but i'dd still prefer that they don't put it in there gamertag. just like i wouldn't want random passers-by telling me theirs

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Well I see no particular reason you'd want to... but then again, I see no particular reason why you shouldn't be allowed to... So I'll say yes.
This is the boat I'm sitting in.
I just don't see it as particularly relevant.

Imagine this: You're at the Empire State Building for some fun sightseeing. You and a few people get into the elevator to get to the top. The elevator doors close, it starts to go up, and one guy says, out loud, 'I'm gay'.

Now there is nothing wrong with that, if the guy is gay then the guy is gay. But in that situation, who cares? It doesn't bring the people riding the elevator closer together, and it'd more then likely make everything a bit awkward. And it would be just as weird if some guy said 'I'm straight', or 'I'm bi', or 'I'm a transsexual'.

It holds no bearing to what's going on, and, frankly, no one cares.

Having it in the bio section of an online profile is one thing, since that's the part that says stuff about you. That's like if someone on the elevator asked that guy 'Hey, tell me a bit about yourself'.
But the Gamertag? It's pointless.
In fact, since it's on the internet, it's more akin to actually asking for trouble.

I just don't see the point.

Feb 13, 2008
KoreyGM said:
What I'm trying to get at is why should someone have to look gay to say they are gay?
Why should they say they're gay at all? That's what I'm saying. It's not relevant and often, not true.

Being gay doesn't change anything about your avatar, so there's no reason to state it. Allude to it maybe, bring back a bit of the allure. Most of the time, it doesn't change anything about the human behind the avatar either, except who they sleep with.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
KoreyGM said:
Why should they say they're gay at all? That's what I'm saying. It's not relevant and often, not true.

Being gay doesn't change anything about your avatar, so there's no reason to state it. Allude to it maybe, bring back a bit of the allure. Most of the time, it doesn't change anything about the human behind the avatar either, except who they sleep with.
But by that very logic gamertags shouldn't exist at all, Maybe you are "The Root of All Evil" by why should you proclaim it? It's not relevant and probably not true.