Question of the Day, March 9, 2010

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
How can you ask what someone's favorite FF game is and not have VII as an option?!? Utter fail!

RNunez

Jul 19, 2009
Why was FF9 left out?

It was between 12 and Crystal for me. Crystal by a hair, but that actually speaks poorly of every other one on the poll.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
How could you make this poll and not include Final Fantasy VI, the best in the whole damn series? I'm serious, best characters, best villain who's actually competent, best heart-touching scene that every game since has tried to re-capture and fail miserably at (Opera Scene > Eyes On Me, you fucking know it don't try to deny it), it's just...best. Anything I don't like can come down to nitpicks, like how the map is barely visible when you're riding on a chocobo and learning magic dtakes a little too long at times, but again, these are small gripes that can be reduced to nit-picking instead of full-on complaining.

As for who's actually in there...

FFVIII: Story makes no sense, characters are unlikeable jerks, hyperactive half-monkeys or complete dingbats, Drawing magic is tedious and annoying (yes, I know there's other ways to get magic but it's still tedious busywork), using magic is actually a BAD thing considering it's more useful junctioning it to your stats, card-battle game is annoying.
FFX-2: Obvious shameful sequel of a decent game that didn't need a sequel (FFX wrapped up everything nicely, I thought), class-grinding is tedious and annoying, Job Grid (or whatever it's called, I forget) was annoying and confusing since you could only switch to a few jobs instead of any of them, mini-games are annoying.
FFXI: Okay, this one I haven't actually played, but I know enough. You don't start with all the classes unlocked, multiclassing seems complicated, it takes forever to get a damn chocobo and the high-end content literally takes FOREVER AND A DAY to complete and resemble endurance tests of attrition than tests of skill.
FFXII: Eh, I've heard pretty negative things but since FFX-2 left a bad taste in my mouth, I gave this one a pass.
FFCC: The art style really doesn't work for me, and it seems more reminiscent of Diablo II with a nice big scoop of Phantasy Star Online than a step forward in the Final Fantasy entries.

Bottom line, this poll should've included all the main Final Fantasy games (disregarding spinoff series) and that's it. So my vote ACTUALLY goes to Final Fantasy VI.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Lambi said:
crotalidian said:
Lambi said:
crotalidian said:
I know. And I find it clever how every main character is a class from the former FF games. Zidane is a Thief, Garnet (I refuse to call her Dagger!) is a White Mage, Vivi is a Black Mage, etc.

And I assume you mean Balthier? Because I agree with you. He is awesome.
who else. he even calls himself that. he also is not a 'teenage androgo-tosser' and has normal hair. even if he is married to his Viera *cough*wookie*cough* companion.
I thought they were only partners. They were married? Is it wrong that I sort of envy him?
Pretty sure that there was some romantic involvement there......off to Wiki...so they are oficially partners but I always got the feeling there was something more going on there. and yes it's ok to be jealous of having a 6ft5 immortal bunnygirl as a lover

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The point of the poll wasn't to give you the obvious choices of the "good" games, but rather to ask you which of the "lesser" Final Fantasies you liked best. So that's why no 7, no 9, no 10.

TheBadGamer

Mar 8, 2010
Well sence ther where only five games to pick and none of them are really my favorit I hade to pick Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. My favorit FF game is IV and IX.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
None of the above. I might have voted if 9 or 3 (NA version of 3 that is) had made it on the list. Or Tactics why no Tactics?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
No 7? You've got to be kidding, that's the best one!

(Well, okay it's the only one I've played...)

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Obviously a "Best of the Worst", or at least a "Best of the Less Popular" poll.

Of the choices...

FFVIII was awful. Lurching, largely incomprehensible storyline filled with unengaging characters that could have been collectively stuffed into an incinerator for all I cared about them. But, it's become the 'edgy' game to like in the series, since by definition anyone who is 'edgy' has to hate FFVII.

FFX-2: Didn't play it, though I've been told that, if you can get past the inherently ridiculous nature of it, the gameplay and story aren't that bad.

FFXI: Grindtastic, but it's the only MMO that's manage to hold my interest for more than a few months, so I had to make that my vote.

FFXII: This game is such a problem for me. I liked that they mixed up the classic FF formulae regarding battle systems, world design, and so on. I found the story compelling on an intellectual level, though the level of jargon was, as usual for a FF game, rather excessive. But I just didn't really care about any of the characters, which meant that I never finished the game. The story wasn't emotionally compelling enough for me to care if I got to the end and/or saved the world.

FFCC: Sort of a side-story in the FF series, with a bit of an experimental approach in how to handle things that just didn't work for me.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The Infinite said:
I have to go with 8, my first JRPG and to this day, one of my favorite FF games. Sure the story was totally wtfable, but I loved the junction system and that card game would keep me entertained for sooo long.
my friend, we are possibly the same person
are you me?
whats your opinion on wedge and biggs?

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
Fenixius said:
Final Fantasy 6. /thread.
I second this (except I'm still referring to it as 3!)

Out of the games listed I voted VIII, although if they had a blitzball option...

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
The Infinite said:
I have to go with 8, my first JRPG and to this day, one of my favorite FF games. Sure the story was totally wtfable, but I loved the junction system and that card game would keep me entertained for sooo long.
my friend, we are possibly the same person
are you me?
whats your opinion on wedge and biggs?
Oh those two bumbling simpletons I rather liked them. In fact in every game they entertained me not just because they were a cameo to Star Wars. Also scarily enough, your birthday is two days away from mine, though I was born a year earlier. =O

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Today I have learned one thing about the Final Fantasy series: There is nothing to be learned from the titles of the games in the Final Fantasy series.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
The original.

I, Garland, will cut you all down to size!

[sub]... Or something.[/sub]

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
None on the list because the only one I have played from that list is 8, which was a god aweful mess of a game that can burn in the deepest pits of hell. I can't help but facepalm every time someone mentions that they LIKED that game...as trollish as that may sound.

I hold nothing against 11 as it's an MMO and I don't play MMO's and therefore if ever I do play it, I must judge it by entirely different standards.

I reserve my judgment for 12 when I get the chance to play it. It seems to be a very polarizing game, but I am aware of it's faults but the entire games concept still intrigues me so I'm going to remain rather unbias towards it.

X-2...I'm just not interested in it seeing as X was, like pretty much any core FF game, a self contained story that really did not need any sort of unnessecary sequel.

Never even touched the Crystal Chrinicles games, but thats just my lack of a system to play it on to blame.

As for favorite? oh well that has to go to none other than FF6, a shining example of what a Final Fantasy game should be. Great story and pacing, loveable and well developed characters with no true emphasis on just one, and of coarse there is Kefka. The gameplay was also great with each character being increadibly flexible while still bringing their own unique talents into the fight therefore they were not as interchangable. The story moments were memorable and carried a good weight to them which at times really hit the player with some great emotional moments. The music is timeless and even for 16 bit tunes, Kefkas theme still sends horrifying shivers down my spine and Forever rachel still tugs at my heart strings.

I can gush on and on about how 6 was just an amazing game, but it's pretty evident that it's my favorite with FF7 riding up at the top with it. Two favorite games of the core series and truely unforgettable experiences.

Although when it comes to non-core games, the origonal Tactics, Crisis Core, and Dissidia are all top notch kick ass games that are boat loads of fun and rank up there with the mains.