Question of the Day, March 9, 2010

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
VIII

No contest.

Best soundtrack to any final fantasy game.
Most fun customization.

The plot after the first disk was awful though.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
No FF6 or FF9? Boo-urns.

The card game in FF8 was disappointing. Cards had set power levels, which meant inevitably you'd be picking from the main characters over and over. At least 9's card game had changing values on the cards...

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I vote 8 simply because it inspired Spoony to amuse me [http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii/] for a few hours. That's the best thing any of those games ever did.

Evilproduct

Oct 25, 2009
None of these are good. The only good FF games are VII, IX. X was okay, nothing special. It was all downhill from there.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Good poll... because the two most popular FF games aren't on it. By removing those options you force gamers to recognize the relative qualities of the other games in the franchise.

That being said, I guess I would have to go with FFVIII as my favorite. It wasn't "good", but at least it wasn't childish "crystal chronicles", boring "FFXII", idiotic "FFX-2" or worse... an MMO "FFXI".

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
For me, FF XII. I haven't played FF VII yet, sadly, but I have played X, X-2, XII and Tactics Advance. Been meaning to possibly play some of the others by emulator or track down copies for my PS2 through places like eBay and whatnot (if I can ever find a copy of any old FF game without having to pay ridiculous prices because of their rarity value).

Anyway, I liked FF XII better than X, though I thoroughly enjoyed all the series so far that I've played. At the end of the day though, I don't see whay everyone seems to hate XII, the combat was done much better than in X (and this is coming from someone who absolutley idolises the CTB system for it's ability to allow strategic battle planning). The characters were likeable (I didn't mind Vaan even, though preferred Balthier much more as a main character), and the story worked well (even if it was a slight ripoff of Star Wars).

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
I actually turned to calculus to make my head hurt less than figuring it out the junction system. I mean this in a good way.

Aquilla

Oct 21, 2008
I loved X's story, so voted for X-2 here - only because the complete story made me happy. Say nothing about the rest of the game though...it hurts my head.

VIII I could never get into - I was too young and moulded by VII, it didn't work for me. On later plays I've enjoyed it, but still doesn't hit the top spots.

CC would have got the vote, if it hadn't been for the damn crystal barer - only managed to get through the game by forcing my younger brother to carry it!

Never had the time or the PC for XI, and I despised XII with a burning passion. Any game where you can go and make a sandwich, come back and the fight is over makes me sad.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I don't see any of the Bit/Pixel/Basically Retro ones, so I'll go with the one I actually own, Crystal Chronicles.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Hate to say it, but I'm joining the 9 bandwagon. It's probably the best example of the series since it took all the previous one and mixed it all in a original story.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I haven't played any FF after 9 so this poll isn't really for me, but out of the ones I did play I liked 8 best. It might have had a few stupid little plot twists and an ending that came out of nowhere and only started making a little bit of sense in hindsight, but in many ways I prefer it over any other FF game

The music, the characters, the setting... The soundtrack is one of the best FF-soundtracks ever (One Winged Angel can go suck a fat one). Seifer is one of my favorite recurring sub-bosses, because unlike clowns like FF5's Gilgamesh, FF6's Ultros, or FF7's Turks (who are all crowd favorites, presumably because they're clowns), Seifer and his crew actually had very personal motivations for antagonizing you, and you actually ended up feeling kinda sorry for them (I was really glad for them being alive and happy in the ending cinematic). Triple Triad was a lot of fun once you got a feel for it (and used the evolving ruleset to weed out a few of the more annoying rules). The Junction system made the game way too easy if played right, but was very enjoyable to use, especially since how much of it you used was pretty much entirely up to the player (I once played through disk 1 entirely without junctioning anything). The Guardian Forces finally evolved FF summon attacks beyond "an extra strong and fancy-looking attack" and the Limit Breaks (while easily abusable) added a level of interactivity to the fights that was previously unseen in FF games.

It was certainly a flawed game, but it's also one of my favorite jRPGs of all times. Whether this means anything coming from someone who claims not to like (most) jRPGs is up to the reader to decide.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
I vote 8 simply because it inspired Spoony to amuse me [http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii/] for a few hours. That's the best thing any of those games ever did.
I started to watch that because I could always use a few chuckles, but when the best thing the reviewer can come up with is whine about how 'gay' the game is, even to the point of singing "Gay gay gay gay!", he kinda loses any credibility he ever had.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Well, considering the list is missing the best 4(4,5,6,9) I picked 12. Least I think it was 12, who knows.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The Infinite said:
The Cheezy One said:
The Infinite said:
I have to go with 8, my first JRPG and to this day, one of my favorite FF games. Sure the story was totally wtfable, but I loved the junction system and that card game would keep me entertained for sooo long.
my friend, we are possibly the same person
are you me?
whats your opinion on wedge and biggs?
Oh those two bumbling simpletons I rather liked them. In fact in every game they entertained me not just because they were a cameo to Star Wars. Also scarily enough, your birthday is two days away from mine, though I was born a year earlier. =O
that is quite scary [cue twilight zone theme]
the last time you beat them up, wedge says "whats below private?" bless him