Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
If they can use Kinect in a different way, say to judge the levels of stress a player is going through during a game (lets say something like Condemned or Demon Souls", then the game could redirect the flow of enemies and suprises making the game more immersive/scary.

I think the idea of a "Hardcore" Modern Warfare or FPS is foolish. I don't see many of those being made or those that are being successful, but I'd love to be wrong.

Indie devs will also probably think completly outside the box and make something rather good.

curintedery

Sep 8, 2010
I really can't see it. At least the Wii has a control stick on the nunchuck, so games like Zelda still allow somewhat simple movement. Without any kind of input other than movement and sound, it would be extremely difficult to make precise movement. I most definitely can't see a Modern Warfare type game on there.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
A sex game for Kinect? yay!

Honestly though, I think they could make a hardcore game, but not now. In a few years, maybe...

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Uh, well that's hard to answer. What makes a game a "hardcore" game?
COD...WOW....

a hardcore game is anything with 3 letters, or anything that means you have no social life if you play it :D

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
maybe might even sell more than 3 copy's if they use that hybrid thing Microsoft was talking about and it will take a developer who knows their stuff

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Mabye they can make a fighting game that gives actual ninjas the advantage.

OT: Mabye, but you sure as hell better put effort in it microsoft.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I think with the right developer can pull it off. However, why should they?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Caliostro said:
Is it possible? Yes.

Will they do it? No.

Will they try? Yes.

Will they fail spectacularly? Yes.

I mean, everything is possible at this point, but based on what we saw with the Wii, it's just going to be shovelware, with maybe one or two titles that had potential, but would have been better with a normal controller...

How long has the Wii been out? How many games, in total, does it have? Thousands? Maybe dozens of thousands? How many good games does it have for people over the age of 14? 2-3?
HEY, your totally wrong about the number of good games for the wii, it's 5.

carpenter20m

Nov 9, 2009
I will also go with the "hybrid thing".

Let's say it's an fps: You use the controller normally, to do all the things you do with a normal game. What can the Kinect do?

1) Melee attack...that would be awesome: You fight your way among the zombies, you get surrounded, you start moving your arms left and right to push them away. It's even to the realistic side, since holding a weapon with two hands pretty much only allows for the same movements (elbow movements, that is)

2) Look right and left, fast. If the Kinect can see slight movements of the head, moving it left and right, might be able to tell the game to look left and right without changing directions.

3)Small actions, like opening doors and flick switches. Penumbra did it with the mouse. This will be even more immersive. I'm sure you can take your right hand off the controller to make a gesture to open a door or pick up and throw something.

4) Did I mention melee fights?

Really, Kinect only needs to be there as an accessory, not the main controller and games can potentially become much much better.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Can they? Yes. Will they? No. It has been very obvious by the gaming community at larget that these sorts of devices are not the direction that we want games to go.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I'd say it depends on the genre. I mean, an FPS is never going to work really well without a controller of some kind. But things involving archery of sword fighting would work much better. Fighting games too, if done right.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I believe hardcore Kinect titles are possible. Hopefully, some developer will come up with a neat and efficient way to interact with the thing that we haven't even really thought of yet. They probably won't, but I hope they do.

Honestly, I see Kinect widening the gulf between 'core' and 'casual' gamers as more likely.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Yeah, of course. It has to be made just right though.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Am I really the only one who finds it embarrassingly hilarious that people who make video games are now trying to be 'moar hardcore' than each other to pander to idiots who think that all types of video games should be marketed directly to them?

OT: No, the Kinect isn't for serious games. But who cares, it's fun for those who like those kinds of things. I'm a film buff and the Jonas Brothers 3-D experience doesn't need my money or attention, this is the same thing. Not gonna let it bother me.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Can they? Yes.
Will they? Probably someone will try.
Should they? From a business perspective, probably not but I'd respect the effort.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Naw, it's way too much of a gimmick.
You can't in good conscience be a serious core gamer while flailing around like an idiot.
I'm sure a few people can, but those few are too few for devs to actually attempt making such a game, I think.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I dunno...some sort of hardcore sword/melee fighting game would be pretty damn awesome...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Absolutely. It just takes the right mind to do so. In fact, I can already think of a few games that might work on a 360 now that the Kinect is there. Can someone say "HD House of the Dead" or "Virtua Cop"? Seriously, now that Kinect is out, there's now a way for those kinds of games to get a full HD treatment. They couldn't really work on HD-capable TVs before, since light gun stuff didn't really work on LCD. Now that there's a focus point (like the Wii's Sensor Bar, hint hint) in the Kinect, there's a way for light gun-like games to make a way onto the 360.