Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Not voting. Depends on how you define "hardcore". If by hardcore you mean macho gun-slinging space marines, then you can hand the player an invisible gun to shoot.

If by hardcore you mean WoW 24/7 gaming frenzy fanatics, then the player will go into a coma 2 seconds in.

If by hardcore you mean old-school Super Mario Bros princess savers, then I have no idea.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
This is such a bizarre question. I could ask you "Can you come up with a good recipe that contains both peanut butter and turnips?" and you may even be able to give me an answer (please don't) but who is asking for this? Nobody wants you to come up with hardcore games for Kinect because nobody will buy them; use your talents for a more worthy cause. I'd rather you come up with a kick-ass casual game that sold a million copies than a hardcore game that sold 9000 copies (Dead Space: Extraction, I'm lookin' at you).

I consider hardcore games to be the ones that you have to dedicate a more-than-reasonable amount of free time towards to get any benefit. My sub-definition would be if I could/couldn't teach it to my parents generation (I am 40, so that may be older than you think). My premiere example of a hardcore game is one of my favourite games: Monster Hunter. "Normal" people refuse to play MH because of the mind-blowing amount of effort needed to get any good at it without breaking things you own in frustration. If you tried to make me play a Kinect version of MH I'd certainly laugh my ass off at you while walking past your store display; it is hard enough to put hundreds of hours into a single game - I'm not doing it standing up flailing my arms around, that's for sure.

I think I'm done - I'm just rambling now...

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
I've come to the conclusion that traditional games are downright impossible using only Kinect, due to physical limitations on the hardware. I wrote about it over at my blog [http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/pneuma08/the-limitations-of-kinect-186724.phtml], the gist being that movement through space cannot be controlled by motion control, without it being contrived, which somewhat defeats the purpose of motion control to begin with.

Kinect's "hardcore" offering will have to be either largely innovative or some sort of Kinect-controller hybrid game (and not unlike Sony or Nintendo's "hardcore" offerings).

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Kinda given up on the Kinect. When I tried it out, I was spectacularly underwhelmed and quite unimpressed. I might buy it when Steel Battalion comes out. Maybe. But, $150 for that thing? No, I'm sticking to my Wii/Move, thank you.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
There are a few problems with this question of the day;

#1. What kind of "Hardcore" are we talking about? Are we talking about the "Call of Duty is so rad, man!" hardcore or are we talking about the "I love the Powerglove. It's so bad." hardcore?

#2. Can we please have simple "Yes, No, or Maybe" options once in a while? Do we always need a some sort addition to a yes-no decision?

#3. Hardcore games? On Kinect? HA!!!*

* It's a joke. I think it's possible to make a good Kinect game aimed at the dedicated gaming audience, it's just that I don't think many developers are going to attempt it, mostly because MS has made it somewhat clear that this is the 360's Wiimote.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Woodsey said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Yes. Black & White 3, Kinect exclusive could work brilliantly if done right.
I don't think turning a so far PC exclusive series into not only a 360, but Kinect exclusive would be a particularly good idea.

OT: I don't care if they do. I don't have the money or the space.
Black & White would translate really well. You play as a hand anyway. The only thing they'd really have to work on in navigating the world, everything else could translate relatively easily.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
It would only work if they make some sort of ultimate fighting game where both players wear a heart rate monitor on their foreheads and you can only win when it senses that someone has lost consciousness or died.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
They can... but I don't imagine they will. And if they do, I don't think they'll sell well. I mean... take a look at Madworld. I think that the only "hardcore" games the Kinect will get are self-parodies like House of the Dead: Overkill.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Sure, you could make a crackin' game about a telekinetic superhuman, for example. Point at a car and raise your hand and WWWWWWWWWWWWHHHOOOOSHHHHH up it goes.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
They can easily make a hardcore game. Lets just look at the facts, to make a good AAA game, at least requires 2 years of development. The Kinect development kits have only been out for a year and a half.

Most publishers are on a wait and see attitude that is killing the game industry.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Its all about the devoloper. You cant just port CoD to the Kinect. You have to completely redefine it.

The game will have to be made spacifically for the Kinect.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Yes it is possible. The technology is young and needs to sink in with some exposer to good developers.

To all people that think it can't happen or think that Kinect is a waste of time:

Too bad, it is here to stay, it isn't a fad, get use to it.

I'll describe my stance in one word:

Holodeck.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
Woodsey said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Yes. Black & White 3, Kinect exclusive could work brilliantly if done right.
I don't think turning a so far PC exclusive series into not only a 360, but Kinect exclusive would be a particularly good idea.

OT: I don't care if they do. I don't have the money or the space.
Black & White would translate really well. You play as a hand anyway. The only thing they'd really have to work on in navigating the world, everything else could translate relatively easily.
That wasn't what I was getting at, although I'd still question how tiresome it would be to play any lengthy sessions whilst trying to select army units and such.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Assuming that, in this context, "hardcore" means "fun", then I think they can. Kinect opens up a wide range of possibilities, but those possibilities have been almost completely untapped so far.

Of course, I'm not buying that thing until I have a good reason to.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well as long as they ALLOW and support it unlike Nintendo and their shitty 3rd Party support...

So why not.