Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Hardcore doesn't mean FPS.

A kinect K1 kick boxing would be hardcore. It is also not going to happen as most gamers can't throw a head kick and a good majority get out of breath toasting poptarts.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
I hate how "hardcore" has lost its meaning...

Yeah, sure. New brush to paint on the canvas, now all we're missing is an painter.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
If they came up with an origional idea it could certainly hook hardcore gamers. But if they just try simple modifications on existing ideas, they are doomed to failure. 3d has been the next best thing how many times now?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
The right developer can do it, easily. Whether or not it will sell more than a handful of copies is another story.

This all depends on how you define "Hardcore", anyways.
Today's 'Casualcore' is yesterday's 'Hardcore'.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
If the Kinect had some solid 'hardcore' games I would be infinitely more interested. It'll just take the right developer to make something satisfying. As it stands though, I'll pass on Wii 2.0.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I don't think it's possible. In order to do complex operations with any software/game, you need great HID's (Human Interface Devices) in order to do so. From what I know and have seen from Kinect, it just isn't possible.

Still, I would like to be proven wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
With Microsoft banning panties, I'm pretty sure there's no chance of a hardcore...Oh, wrong kind of hardcore.

I voted yes. They can, but I don't know if they will manage to make any good ones. I'm hoping, though.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I think they can make hardcore games that employ the Kinect as a part of the experience, but I don't think they can make hardcore games that use only the Kinect.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Anything is possible with time and money. However money = time. So therefore they need money squared if someone wants to make a good hardcore game.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
A mix of answers two and three. I think it might be possible, but these games will need to be something new and original that doesn't just resemble what we already have with a new control scheme, it needs to be something that incorporates the new control scheme into its core, and i think its going to be a long way until developers get there and learn what works and what doesn't.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
If you've played with one you know why they wont succeed (they'll try).
It's nowhere near precise enough. It's about as precise as the first wii controller.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Seriously...I can't see that happening. Both from a technical and a economical point of view...

Kinect detecting your movement and translating it into commands for a game accurately looks very difficult to me and when you need to do more than cuddling a tiger cub I think there will be much guesswork involved...a bit like the control of Assassin's Creed times ten...ever tried to jump from one roof to the other when there is a haystack underneath in that game?...now imagine this when all you can do is point at the screen and jump. I can't see myself playing any serious game without the control and accuracy a gamepad gives me (Move is a bit better here, since it still has buttons...nevertheless...also not for me)...

Kinect (and Move) are like diametral opposed to traditional gamepads, so incorporating a control scheme for both in one single game is quite impossible. And since games considered to be 'Hardcore' are very (very, very, very) expensive to make, Publishers will be unlikely to market a 'Hardcore' game for the intersection of 'Hardcore'-gamers and Kinect-users...

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I can see strategy games and point and click games happen on Kinect. If they ever make Black and White on Kinect, I'll buy it immediately.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Motion controls vs. Console controls is a different version of arguing Console Controls vs. PC Controls. You sacrifice variety and some control for ease of interface. The ease of interface in motion controllers is phenomenal for simple games that can attract people that don't want to memorize control schemes on a game-pad or keyboard. The problem is that most "hardcore" games need the more complicated interface to provide a depth of mastery to the game.

I'll use Dragon Age as an example. Can you imagine playing a title like that with a motion controller like the Kinect? I'm no developer, but it seems like an impossible task to work in the controlled character's powers along with the abilities for party tactics and switching. Also, going back to my intro sentence, playing on the PC has more depth, but more to memorize by way of what keys do what actions. Hybrid systems could fix this, but may also create a different problem where constantly switching between control schemes becomes a bother.

I think it's possible for "hardcore" games to be made for the Kinect, but I don't think developers will be able to think outside the box enough to make them good. At least not for a few years, yet.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
Yes. Black & White 3, Kinect exclusive could work brilliantly if done right.
I don't think turning a so far PC exclusive series into not only a 360, but Kinect exclusive would be a particularly good idea.

OT: I don't care if they do. I don't have the money or the space.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
They probly can but i doubt it'lld be the right thing to do, so i doubt it'll happen.