Question of the Day, October 29, 2010

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
art director. handling the details from box art to billboards to show-room displays.

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
Concept design/ 3d modelling.
That's why I'm doing this:
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/art_and_design/ug_courses/game_art.jsp

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Picked marketer. That or Public Relations. Why? Because the Gaming community is so fun/easy to troll, getting to do it for a living would be awesome.

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
If everyone here who chose 'voice actor' was given said job by Bethesda, maybe then people would stop complaining about the fact that Cyrodil is inhabited by a handful of people.
voice actor budgets are notoriously very low. cartoons, anime, and games employ nearly all of the talent pool. looking at anime; one show of 26 episodes typically works with a talent pool of less than 20 people per project. usually 4-7 per episode. the main actors often voicing the background characters and animals as well.

put it in perspective:
Fable 3 - 11 confirmed voices.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - 8 voices
Fallout New Vegas - 19 voices
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 15 voices

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Voice actor. I used to want to do computer programming, but I got annoyed after the ENTIRE thing glitches because I forgot one semicolon somewhere. (SCREW C++.)

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
Not sure what a designer does but I'm starting programming school next year so I guess I can start there. :p

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
rossable said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
If everyone here who chose 'voice actor' was given said job by Bethesda, maybe then people would stop complaining about the fact that Cyrodil is inhabited by a handful of people.
voice actor budgets are notoriously very low. cartoons, anime, and games employ nearly all of the talent pool. looking at anime; one show of 26 episodes typically works with a talent pool of less than 20 people per project. usually 4-7 per episode. the main actors often voicing the background characters and animals as well.

put it in perspective:
Theres no way force unleashed only has 8 voices, According to the EA louse, 60% of the harddrive space needed goes to voicing.

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
tryx3 said:
rossable said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

put it in perspective:
Theres no way force unleashed only has 8 voices, According to the EA louse, 60% of the harddrive space needed goes to voicing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570976/fullcredits#cast [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570976/fullcredits#cast]

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
rossable said:
voice actor budgets are notoriously very low. cartoons, anime, and games employ nearly all of the talent pool.
Yep. When companies hire actors, they look for people with the widest possible voice range so they can hire fewer people. Interestingly enough, I think some of the actors union things out there are trying to push for actors getting paid extra for each character they do.
http://voice123.com/edmace <-- This guy is awesome.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
tryx3 said:
You could have 1 actor and still need 60% of the harddrive space....good audio files are large, and it depends entirely on how many lines are recorded, not how many actors were used to record them.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
The Lizard of Odd said:
tryx3 said:
You could have 1 actor and still need 60% of the harddrive space....good audio files are large, and it depends entirely on how many lines are recorded, not how many actors were used to record them.
Right.

I incorrectly assumed they'd have a ton of actors if they touted it as the main selling point, my bad.
/nosarcasm intended.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Other: Translator/Localisation

Because that's what I actually plan to do later. And also because German localisation is almost always a complete mess.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Probably game designer, but my knowledge isn't that good in this area...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Mechsoap said:
my dream is to become a game designer.
Same here. Creating levels, enemies, boss fights and the story is too awesome an opportunity to miss.