Question of the Day, September 27, 2010

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Blood Lines was great. But redemption... wow. In high school we used to mock people by waving our hands while we talked... in imitation of that terrible game.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Bloodlines was oke, but 'Masquerade' was much better and more to my liking.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Uh, why does this poll not have an option to say it was a good game? It's all negative responses... I'm sensing a large degree of bias there.

Anyway, yes I have. Bought it twice actually, because of disk issues and bugs. The game was unbalanced, filled with bugs, but is one of the most immersive and enjoyable RPGs I've ever played, and is easily one of my all-time favourite games. I turned a few friends onto it just last week, who would agree with my claims. It was clearly unfinished, but even at that state it was excellent. Thankfully, the Companions Mod has fixed all the game-breaking bugs I've run into, so it's that much easier to show off to people and spread around.

The game got me into the World of Darkness line, and I'm now running a weekly game of Geist as a result.

In short: Yes, and it was excellent. I did not vote in the poll because none are accurate.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
What the hell is up with this poll?

1) No "Yes, and I love it" or "No, but I want to" options
2) VtM was never an MMO
3) Which VtM are you referring to? There's one P&P game and two PC RPGs.

Whoever made this poll is a bloody molly.

Unrelated, but most important: Why the hell make an MMO for Masquerade instead of Requiem? I thought White Wolf brutally murdered their oWoD series long ago...

Feb 13, 2008
Biased poll is biased...

Where's the "Yes I played it and it was wonderful" option?

Not to mention whether you're talking about Vampire: Masquerade 1st/2nd, Vampire:Requiem, Vampire:Mind's Eye Theatre (1/2), Vampire: Bloodlines, Vampire: Redemption...

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
Awesome game, Malkavians are the greatest character concept of all games ever made and they were executed excellently in this. :D

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
wheres "no but i want/will"?
no offense meant, but some of the options on these polls are "yes i love it" or "i ill die a thousand deaths before contemplating it"
I was thinking the same thing (I have played it and liked it with fewer reservations than "it had its moments") - some of the recent polls seem like they'd be good fodder for a freshman critical thinking "how the poll questions pre-shape the results" study.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't play MMOs. A few appealed to me but I never cared enough to actually spend money on them. Also I lose enough of my day playing video games as it is. I do need some time for *gasp* work.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
After playing the pen and paper game for years, I picked up Redemption and loved it. Then I picked up Bloodlines and loved it even more.

Granted both games had bugs up the arse but it was still playable, even if it meant having to go through quite a few patches, official or unofficial.

thirdsonsaburo

Apr 10, 2010
I said "yes", but my answer's a bit more complicated.

...because I mostly play Werewolf and Mage, not Vampire.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
wheres "no but i want/will"?
no offense meant, but some of the options on these polls are "yes i love it" or "i ill die a thousand deaths before contemplating it"
Good point. How about "Yes and I liked it" for this one? "It had its moments" is the lukewarm response someone sane might give after seeing Star Wars Episode 3 for the first time.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Where's the option for, 'No, I didn't play it, but I wanted to'?

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks VtMB is a little overrated?

It's not a bad game. When people describe it as being 'Dues Ex, but with VAMPIRES', I can only agree. I cannot deny the games ambition, but I've always though the game fell far short of what it wanted to be. It's so tragic that an RPG with so many creative and original ideas got screwed over by so many bugs and design flaws. A friend of mine once described this sad fate as...

What KOTOR did to Jedi, Bloodlines was supposed to do Vampires. Sadly, Bloodlines has more in common with KOTOR 2 then KOTOR 1.
Like KOTOR, where you had free reign to live the life of your own personal Jedi, Bloodlines gave you the chance to live as your own personal Vampire. Sadly, the game tricks you into thinking that it's acceptable to build a character that solves problems through stealth or persuasion, which works perfectly fine... until you run into a boss fight that the game doesn't allow you to sneak or talk your way out of. Not that the combat focused clans will cake walk over everything. Take the part where you have to sneak through the Elizabeth Dane, a cargo ship crawling with security. Try doing that as a clan that doesn't have access to Obfuscate (everyone but Malkavian and Nosferatu).

Sadly, despite being the best way to carve a path through the game, combat is incredibly clunky. The one thing I hate about Shooter-RPG hybrids is that the parent genres have very different ideas on rules of combat. In RPGs, your ability to successfully hit with a weapon is determined by how many skill points you've dumped into the respective skill or talent, while the FPS simply asks you where your cross-hairs were when you pulled the trigger. VtMB tilts closer to the RPG side of the spectrum, which means that even if you've got a perfect head-shot lined up on an unsuspecting foe, there's a good chance you'll miss because you haven't maxed out the Firearms talent.

It's a good thing most of your foes are dispatched easily, and if you're throwing down with humans, you can always grab a drink from their necks. It's the boss fights, many involving enemy vampires or other evil creatures, that will cause the most frustration in the later game.

But, the game does have it's moments. The wealth of creative side quests, the writing, and the rich setting and atmosphere really set this one appart. I don't think there is any other game in existence that gives me the incredible feeling of being a machine gun toting, katana-wielding Vampire BADASS, besides any video based around the Blade franchise. Heck, even the Malkavian dialog alone almost makes it worth the challenge of playing one.

Truthfully, the game got rushed into release, a fact reflected in the lack of refinement. Troika barely had time to iron out major bugs, let alone fix major gameplay issues, before the publisher told them to get it on shelves by Christmas OR ELSE. Then, when the game didn't sell very well, the studio went under. Reason to hate Activision #273.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
What a bizarre and badly phrased QotD. Redemption? Bloodlines? Neither of those are MMOs, and without qualification, V:tM is a TABLETOP game! Christ, I thought The Escapist did their research.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Played it all as far as I know. Tabletop, redemption and bloodlines. As far as changes in the settings? I hope they stick to the older VTM clans. Brujas are just dumb brawlers in the requiem version.