Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
Macrobstar said:
Archangel768 said:
I wish people wouldn't buy games that used things like this. Too bad so many gamers exist these days therefor meaning that there will be more and more idiots that won't think twice when purchasing games that rip people off like this. No other product on this planet has such rediculous precautions in place when it comes to the used game market and even the new game market as well (always online etc)

It goes to show how the game developers that once treated their games with respect see them as nothing more than a tool to swindle more and more money out of unsuspecting victims. I only wish there was a way of getting my point across to the masses but, I know that these messages will probably just fall on deaf ears.
Developers have been doing this for years, its called day one DLC. A tiny section of the game is held back for people who buy it new
Christ I wouldn't have to correct everyone if they'd read the f*cking article
Its called fcking over the consumer for a dime more.
But why is everyone acting like this is something new? its happened in almost every EA game

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Hotshots said:
*sniff sniff* I smell a shit-storm of a boycott coming. Well done id, you've excluded a huge percent of the gaming community because you want to make money. Give them a round of applaud ladies and gents, id has become the biggest dick in the gaming industry! They're not stopping pirates; they're stopping people who come a little to late for the party!

Pirates rejoice!
Ok so let's say you are put in charge of his hypothetical boycott. In order for this to succeed you have to convince people to not buy the game at launch and to cancel their preorders. So let's say I've preordered Rage. What will you say to me to convince me to cancel my preorder and join your cause?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Why not just wait a while and buy it new, but when it's a cheaper price?..

Anyway, id is not doing anything wrong. I'm going to get the game on release, and just because it has something like locked content for people who buy it used, doesn't mean id and everyone working for id are evil.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Bakuryukun said:
but wait...what happens when the game is only available aftermarket a long time from now? This seems shortsighted.
If you don't have a code you can purchase one from the game

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
goldenheart323 said:
StriderShinryu said:
I really would love to know where all of the used game buyers who claim to be after a deal buy their used games. No, really. I would absolutely love to know so I could save money too.

Any place I know of locally that offers a used copy of anything relatively new charges at most $10 less than the new price for it. That's just not much of a bargain when you're looking at a $60 item, and it's certainly not worth not supporting the developer.
"relatively new" is the key phrase there. Some gamers are capable of buying a game well over a year after its release and still enjoying it. Not everyone has to have it within months of its release.
Oh, I totally agree with that, which is why I decided to include the phrase "relatively new" in the first place. I buy older games all the time, in fact I'm currently playing through a recently purchased copy of DarkSiders and the last full game I played was probably Tomb Raider Anniversary. The thing is, unless you're a company like Nintendo that gets away with selling a steady number of game units at launch price for years after release, a game company makes the majority of it's profits on a game in the first couple of months. This is the key income period and it's when sales numbers are looked at to determine what gets greenlit and what doesn't. This is the point where a user buying a used copy for $5 less than a new copy really hurts them, and it's what measures like the Rage SP content lockout are created to combat.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Way to encourage pirating....

I still can't believe that publisher/developer don't realize that punishing the used-games market will only hurt them more on the long-run...

But.. well...I guess long-range planning was never big in the industry...

Jun 5, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
Active Schizophrenic said:
King of the Sandbox said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
ImprovizoR said:
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Stop punishing gamers already. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy.
Or you could, you know, buy the game new and actually support the developer? Rather than the, "Fuck you, I want to buy your game at a cheaper price, and not let any of the money go back to you, and you're a piece of shit for wanting to make a profit off of the sale of one of your games." attitude you've got going now.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about this. RAGE is going to be a massive game by the way all of the news stories seem to say about it, if it's a good game it'll be worth the money to buy it new. If you really want to save money and buy it used, then you're paying for a lesser experience. I see no issue in this.

You really want to blame somebody: Blame GameStop for not giving a portion of their 100% gain on a used game being sold back to the developers.
Uhm, used games are used because they have already been bought, so I'm sure the devs are not losing out. Especially since used games allow people who can't afford 50-70 bucks a pop for a game to actually play them, who then maybe pop for the next project at full price when they can afford to.

In my opinion, it's all "wah wah we want more monies for making games!".
That logic makes no sense. If a games developer makes a game and it will have to sell, say 10,000 copies for example to break even and only 3,000 copies where sold to people, they played and beat the game and all those copies kept shuffling from person to person. over 10,000 people could have played and enjoyed the game but the company still loses more than they made. if 10 people can pass around 1 copy the developer loses big time. also obviously you don't know how games development works.
I never said I did, but I do know that most big devs, like VALVe and Rockstar, make literally tons of money. That's why they put out so many great games time after time, because they focus on their craft, their art, and they put love into it, and want people to play it more than they want to get rich off of it. These are AAA titles, not Wii shovelware. People notice this, of course, and loyalty is earned, thus garnering future full price purchases.

But that's beside the point. So, let me get this straight... you think that game bought at full retail will be recycled through at least 10 other people? I highly doubt that. And even if they did, I hate to break it to you, but your logic is flawed. Let's look aback at older games, during the silver age of gaming. Take the NES for example. Tons of bootleg games. Tons of re-selling of old carts at garage sales, yard sales, between friends, etc. Did any of these factors hurt Nintendo? Oh, look... no.

This is greed, pure and simple. They want to squeeze out every single dime they can, because (and I hate to break it to you) videogames are 90% business, 10% creative love now for most devs. Few companies make games they love and are proud of anymore, like the ones I mentioned earlier. Others, like Blizzard, (modern) Capcom and others, are more content to shovel out what they can, as fast as they can, to get as much money as they can, often times only to turn around and re-released DLC as a whole new game (See; the Street Fighter and current MegaMan X Battlenet, etc. series'.)

It's not about crafting an experience anymore. It's about crafting money. And with the tech today, they can essentially keep charging you for BS, at the threat of cutting off access to their game because you didn't pay full retail.

And here's another issue I have. All those games you see on the shelf at your game store? Yeah, those are already BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the vendor. So, yeah. I'm not seeing how buying pre-owned games 'hurts' the dev.
A bit more flaws with that. Take a look at what games Valve and Rockstar have made lately hmmm... Portal 2, half life 2, GTA 4... see any similarity? they are all sequels because they had an original IP that sold well once so they have been making sequels because its a safe business venture, lots of people who are fans of the previous games lets say because the previous games were really good which is Valve's and Rockstar's case alto of people will buy it on opening day. also valve makes more money from Steam than their games. there is also another reason about your ridiculous point about the NES game library. The reason Nintendo was not hurt by that would be because in order to play those cartridges you needed to have purchased a Nintendo console. But unless you are Nintendo you don't make games AND consoles. Oh and hate to break it to you but EVERY company does what it does for the sole purpose of making money. welcome to the real world. If you truly love a game dev team or their games. don't buy them used. "and here's another issue I have. All those games you see on the shelf at your game store? Yeah, those are already BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the vendor. So, yeah. I'm not seeing how buying pre-owned games 'hurts' the dev" *facepalm*

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
cainx10a said:
If you buy it used, you ain't supporting the developers, just like the pirates do. Don't see anything wrong with it, as long as this new little feature doesn't affect the legit buyers.

So charity shops disrespect the manufacturers? Used books should be burnt and used DVD's smashed into a super DRM machine? Used games are hardly a huge threat to the industry and the DRM will just end up increasing the piracy business

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Rage's creative director has confirmed the lack of always-on DRM, but announced single-player cuts for aftermarket buyers.

In recent years, game publishers have made it no secret that they aren't particularly thrilled with the effect that pirating and used game sales have had on their profit margins. In response, they've stuffed games with everything from online passkeys to the ever-loathed always-on DRM, while gamers have had the privilege of playing guinea pig to whatever solutions they come up with. Bethesda's upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter Rage is no exception, and the game's creative director Tim Willits has confirmed what you'll be missing out on if you fail to buy it with the shrink wrap still in place: an entire section of the game's single-player experience.

Most people who spend a good part of their day on XBL or PSN have probably already run into the online pass, a special one-use code included with your disc that generally unlocks the game's multiplayer mode once you redeem it. What this means, of course, is that if you ever sell that game after growing bored with it, the unlucky sod who gets it next won't be able to pwn his buddies with that overpowered sniper rifle he unlocked by beating the game until he or she drops what's usually another $10 to $20 on a pass of his or her own. Rage won't be protecting its multiplayer, but it will be using a similar idea for part of its single player campaign. The "sewer hatches," an underground tunnel system that will reportedly bring players to new enemies and missions, will only open up with a brand new copy of the game.

When asked about the section that would be cut for aftermarket buyers, Willits said, "[M]ost people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won't. I think that's fair. It's cool. It's outside the main path. We're not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can't avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject." Later, in the same interview, he confirmed that while Rage will include its own brand of online pass, it won't include always-on DRM. That doesn't mean we won't see it in other games id Software works on in the future, however, as he did go on to champion its use. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112187-id-Software-Praises-Always-On-in-Diablo-3]

With Rage's plan sounding suspiciously similar to some sort of reverse day-one DLC, there're sure to be more than a handful of gamers who take issue with the decision. While publishers do have to take steps to protect their industry, what I don't understand is why Willits is trying to downplay the fun-factor of running through the sewer missions Rage is locking with an online pass. If it's true that "most people will never even see it" and that skipping the section doesn't "detract" anything from your experience, then why would this actually affect whether or not a gamer buys the game new or used?

Source: Eurogamer.net [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-11-tim-willits-building-rage-and-never-selling-out-interview]

I can't understand why this is legal. As in, I actually can't see how they could get away with this without being sued. A game disc, and the game on that disc, is a PRODUCT, not a service. These companies can get away with locking multiplayer access because the multiplayer aspect of the game requires connection to servers, making it a service.

However, if I buy a PRODUCT, that product is MINE by law. I own it. ALL of it. It doesn't matter if I buy it from the shop, or off the internet, or secondhand from a shady dude at a car boot sale, the physical product is in my possession, and as such is legally my property providing it was not stolen or copied. So why does this company feel it has the right to restrict my access to sections of a PRODUCT which I legally own?

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
cainx10a said:
If you buy it used, you ain't supporting the developers, just like the pirates do. Don't see anything wrong with it, as long as this new little feature doesn't affect the legit buyers.
You shouldn't have to support the developers, this is a free market economy. If I wanted to paint my neighbor's fence in exchange for a video game he bought, I shouldn't have some developer holding his hand out.

Any attempts by parent companies to hinder the resale of their products should be made expressly illegal.

This is getting ridiculous.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
well then. my views about this title are as such: was going to try it. now? fuck it. im not going to waste my time on something that is trying to fuck over us poor gamers. i purchase my stuff almost always used, or i rent. so when they do this type of shit... no. i have to put my foot down.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
What you need to bear in mind, is that even if you do buy it brand-spanking-new on the release date, you're not giving the developers any money whatsoever, you're giving the RETAILER money. Retailers buy all their stock in bulk, and make up the cost on their prices. All you give the developer when you buy a game new is a slight ego boost because their game sold one more unit.

Frankly, I think this is a bad idea. It's dissuading potential players who maybe couldn't afford the game full-price from buying it at all. I understand why they're doing it; to try and steer people more towards buying it new, but I think this will have the opposite effect, and I also think they're horrifically overreacting to a part of the market that does them much less harm than they'd like you to believe, if at all.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What about rental games?

Im not buying it if thats the case. Buying games second hand isnt illegal, so this type of thing will harm sales more than anything. An stop people buying games from your company. Especially me. I dont collect games, i buy then and then sell them as most games can be completed within a few days and are not worth keeping.

Again, pirates wont buy new.....ever. They will hack and release it with all its contents. All you are doing is screwing over people buying your game legally. An make more people buy pirated versions of your game instead.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This doesnt happen anywhere else. Music companies, film companies? What if they started this crap as well? Less songs on a cd and no special features on dvds you bought second hand until you pay for an unlock code? So retarded.

Its like buying a console day one, you want it NOW. And are willing to pay the full price for it. If people are happy to wait 2 months to get it cheaper or secondhand, then whats the problem?

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I don't really have a problem with the 'online pass' concept. Though I do think its a problem that customers have no way of knowing if the used game their buying has it. They really need to put a notice on the box.

Its a solution to a short term problem, eventually triple-A console games are going to be sold over Live/PSN thereby removing the problem altogether.

So long as it doesn't have the ubifail drm

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Don't see the problem honestly. Many games have stuff like this, day-one DLC, which is obviously something they just cut out of the game to encourage new sales. I don't see how this is any different from that. At least iD is being honest about it. Besides, they're sewer levels. Why would want to play them?

You guys are seriously overreacting.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
CD-R said:
Hotshots said:
*sniff sniff* I smell a shit-storm of a boycott coming. Well done id, you've excluded a huge percent of the gaming community because you want to make money. Give them a round of applaud ladies and gents, id has become the biggest dick in the gaming industry! They're not stopping pirates; they're stopping people who come a little to late for the party!

Pirates rejoice!
Ok so let's say you are put in charge of his hypothetical boycott. In order for this to succeed you have to convince people to not buy the game at launch and to cancel their preorders. So let's say I've preordered Rage. What will you say to me to convince me to cancel my preorder and join your cause?
It's unjust mate! They're removing a hole section of the game because some don't get the game on launch; and when Rage stops being printed(?) those people are missing out on part of the game. Same shite with day 1 DLC!

It's no so much that id is doing this with Rage; it will be the legacy that is left. What next - People who don't buy the game on launch don't get a restriction and aren't allowed to play with people who did buy on launch? Or get major sections of single player restricted? What about people who want to play the game in a few years time? Well they're fucked well 'n proper.

That and the fact this will not hinder pirates in anyway, they will find away around it and gamers who buy used will be the only ones with a 'lesser' product.

Feb 9, 2011
DRMs, forcing extra money out of used game buyers, online key passes, virtual platform wars removing titles over petty nonsense...etc. I really dislike what the gaming industry has turned into. Sad times to be a gamer...