Rage Demo Unlikely, Says Bethesda

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
If it's "too buggy" for a demo, that doesn't make me think good things about the final product. It implies that the final product also might be buggy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Woodsey said:
Also, some games don't get demos because the developers/publishers know they'll do more harm than good, since you can't get the feeling of some games across in a 10-30 minute demo. That's just the way it is.
We're still not going to buy the game without know what we're getting into.

This is especially true for PC games since without a demo, we have no way of knowing whether or not we can run it. Websites like systemrequirementslab.com are inaccurate to me more often than not. And there's still the off chance that there will be a compatibility error that wasn't picked up in testing that you suddenly got. And this is after you paid money for it.

No demo, no buy.
I know, I R TEH PC G.

If I'm honest, I've learnt to live without demos, and I honestly can't remember the last time I got a game that totally went to shit because of some obscure issue with my hardware.

Anyway, "Can you run it?" bases everything off of minimum specs for the game, which is why it's so inaccurate, because minimum specs never mean "you will actually be able to run this on the minimum settings and get a stable frame rate".

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
ultratog1028 said:
If it's "too buggy" for a demo, that doesn't make me think good things about the final product. It implies that the final product also might be buggy.
i thinks it more to do with the way it uses huge megatextures and an open world etc

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
milkkart said:
ultratog1028 said:
i thinks it more to do with the way it uses huge megatextures and an open world etc
Yes, but they should have worded it better. I wrote what I got as a first impression.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Woodsey said:
SomethingAmazing said:
Woodsey said:
Also, some games don't get demos because the developers/publishers know they'll do more harm than good, since you can't get the feeling of some games across in a 10-30 minute demo. That's just the way it is.
We're still not going to buy the game without know what we're getting into.

This is especially true for PC games since without a demo, we have no way of knowing whether or not we can run it. Websites like systemrequirementslab.com are inaccurate to me more often than not. And there's still the off chance that there will be a compatibility error that wasn't picked up in testing that you suddenly got. And this is after you paid money for it.

No demo, no buy.
I know, I R TEH PC G.

If I'm honest, I've learnt to live without demos, and I honestly can't remember the last time I got a game that totally went to shit because of some obscure issue with my hardware.

Anyway, "Can you run it?" bases everything off of minimum specs for the game, which is why it's so inaccurate, because minimum specs never mean "you will actually be able to run this on the minimum settings and get a stable frame rate".
I do remember the last time. Vividly.

I remember buying Supreme Commander for my computer one day. Then upon trying to launch it, it blatantly tells me that my system does not meet the minimum requirements. It then shuts down the game and prevents me from playing. I am fairly adept at working with computers so I easily bypassed the checking and immediately booted up the game to find out that, OMGS, I can run the game at a very good frame rate! I was livid when I found out that I could actually run the game really well.

Imagine if I wasn't adept at working with computers. Some people out there who got the game who had good computers were actually blocked from playing because the stupid checking program thinks it knows better than actually playing the game.

This is why demos are necessary. And especially demos without the stupid checking system.
o_O

Never seen a check system like that before.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Hmm it'll be a shame if there is no demo... but either way I'm buying this game.

Id software for the win!
be careful with what you bid, because "maybe" by not releasing a demo, it could mean it's not that good, and that it's heavily scripted and short, so it could suck. And to avoid that they release the retail game and either way it's a win win situation for them... cause in order to know if you like it or not, they make you pay for it.

Jul 22, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
be careful with what you bid, because "maybe" by not releasing a demo, it could mean it's not that good, and that it's heavily scripted and short, so it could suck. And to avoid that they release the retail game and either way it's a win win situation for them... cause in order to know if you like it or not, they make you pay for it.
I understand the risks. However I am partial to a bit of gambling.

I'll take that bet :D Day one purchase.

Unless like all of the previews says it's rubbish...

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Orcus_35 said:
I understand the risks. However I am partial to a bit of gambling.

I'll take that bet :D Day one purchase.

Unless like all of the previews says it's rubbish...
good luck then

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
WanderFreak said:
So, will this be an actual game, or another paid beta for the first month?

I mean, "technical issues?" What technical issues? Demos have existed since the dawn of time. World of Warcraft has a bloody demo. These words, they do not fill me with confidence.
What they are actually saying with this is "game needs alot of work and we will barely hit the deadline, it will be rushed out the door in whatever state"

And for consumers this means "do not pre-order, wait for reviews and patches"

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
ultratog1028 said:
milkkart said:
ultratog1028 said:
Yes, but they should have worded it better. I wrote what I got as a first impression.
yes, well seems there's quite a lot of ill-informed knee jerkery going on in this thread. anyway back in the day, when we actually got to play demos before the game came out they always had a fairly hefty bug count. it was expect because they were unfinished copies of the game, sometimes you even got 2 or 3 demos each as the development progressed. i really wish they still did that.

all the no demo, no purchase guys; are you really never going to buy it? even if it gets awesome reviews a fuck ton of rewards and giant statues where everyone gathers to worship it as mankinds greatest achievement? if trying it out first is really that big a deal just torrent a copy and if you dont like it or it doesn't work delete it, its not that hard.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Wow, that´s great timing, Bethesda. Just a few hours after Extra Credits. Their inbox will sure be loaded with mail. I wont e-mail them, though. I´m not that interested in the game...
If they release a demo i might change my mind :)

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I tend to be very suspicious of games without demos, and very reluctant to buy them. This is going to be a "wait and see" purchase. Wait for the reviews, the forum discussions and the observations of friends. It's certainly not a day one purchase, not without some sort of demo to work with.

If the publisher/developer isn't willing to risk a demo, I can't think they have all that high of an opinion about their own game.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Lordmarkus said:
Assassin Xaero said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
After watching the latest Extra Credits...
I'm gonna go spam their inbox.
Something I think they should have added in that video, be nice in the emails. If they get a ton of douche emails, it won't help anything.

Personally, I've been excited about this game since 2007, then I see it has a $60 price tag on PC. I'm not buying it unless they can, in some way, justify the price increase for the PC version.
Mod tools? John Carmack's magic tricks? Prettier graphics? 4 weapons instead of 2?
Mod tools? If they charge for mod tools, I swear I will never buy a single game from them ever again. But still, just the PC price is raised. With all these games having $60 retail price for PC (Assassin's Creed 2, MW2, Black Ops, Rage, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, etc.) the console versions are still the normal price. So, basically, we are paying more for the game since they have to play for the game and licensing fees on consoles.

Oh, look at that, I was curious and now I know why it is raise... Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, $60 PC retail. Just another publisher turned to greed.
Well, would you rather pay 50 $ for a console port or 60 $ for a PC-game? And I highly doubt it's greed, games are just expensive to make.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Lordmarkus said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lordmarkus said:
Assassin Xaero said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
After watching the latest Extra Credits...
I'm gonna go spam their inbox.
Something I think they should have added in that video, be nice in the emails. If they get a ton of douche emails, it won't help anything.

Personally, I've been excited about this game since 2007, then I see it has a $60 price tag on PC. I'm not buying it unless they can, in some way, justify the price increase for the PC version.
Mod tools? John Carmack's magic tricks? Prettier graphics? 4 weapons instead of 2?
Mod tools? If they charge for mod tools, I swear I will never buy a single game from them ever again. But still, just the PC price is raised. With all these games having $60 retail price for PC (Assassin's Creed 2, MW2, Black Ops, Rage, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, etc.) the console versions are still the normal price. So, basically, we are paying more for the game since they have to play for the game and licensing fees on consoles.

Oh, look at that, I was curious and now I know why it is raise... Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, $60 PC retail. Just another publisher turned to greed.
Well, would you rather pay 50 $ for a console port or 60 $ for a PC-game? And I highly doubt it's greed, games are just expensive to make.
I'd rather pay $50 for a game that was worth it. Higher quality console games with the game itself (minus licensing fees) being cheaper on consoles? Plus some of the $60 games are console ports (AC2, MW2, BLops). Honestly, I haven't see one game with a $60 PC price tag that I've heard was actually worth the price. So, until then, they aren't getting my money...

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
\Rage may suffer a little, due to being a new IP, but a demo is only a small part of how a publisher gets people excited about a game.\
It didn't used to be that way...