Razzie Awards Eyeing Transformers 3 for Nomination List

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Wait, we're all taking the Razzies as a serious thing now? Jesus guys, take a joke...

Also, I loved Transformers 3. I'm not ashamed to say that, it went all out in the action and effects departments and delivered exactly what it promised. Was anybody going along to it expecting Casablanca?

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Yes, let's keep settling for less. Although I agree on great special effects that's about all there is in favor of the Transformers Movies.

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
Trogdor1138 said:
Wait, we're all taking the Razzies as a serious thing now? Jesus guys, take a joke...

Also, I loved Transformers 3. I'm not ashamed to say that, it went all out in the action and effects departments and delivered exactly what it promised. Was anybody going along to it expecting Casablanca?
"Play it again, Optimus Prime"

"Of all the cars to disguise as, in all the towns, in all the world, you had to use mine."

Hmm... Can't tell if that would be terrible or brilliant. Terribrilliant?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
MaximillionMiles said:
Trogdor1138 said:

"Play it again, Optimus Prime"

"Of all the cars to disguise as, in all the towns, in all the world, you had to use mine."

Hmm... Can't tell if that would be terrible or brilliant. Terribrilliant?
All I know is, I would pay to see it and that it couldn't possibly be a worse movie than Transformers 2 was >_>

WanderingBiscuits

Apr 19, 2010
I for one thought both of the first transformers were ok. People make them out to be hideously bad. They are just generic action flicks. The reason they get so much hate is because of the massive transformers fanbase ,who like to nitpick every detail. Most of the hate is unwarranted. The movies aren't bad they're just quite bland.

The only really bad thing about them was those rapping robots from the second.

I definately don't think any of them are bad enough to get a razzie, there is far more worthy contenders to the title.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Here is the thing, noone expects anaconda or some arthouse snooze fest about a character study of a potato that noone went to see is going to be good, noone has an expectation of that at all.

But do people have a reasonable expectation that star wars could have and should have been a hell of alot better than that shit fest lucas crapped out? Sure everyone was going to see epi 1 trough 3 no matter what, it was a lock for any person that could remember going to episodes 4 through 6 as a kid, it was a good bet that the kids of many of those people would be going and have seen all those movies many times. Instead we got the worst drivel of a script and characters you could write, lucas never even stopped to read the shit he was writing, he was surrounded by people that treated him like a god, rather than the old days when he had fights with any number of people, and the "best" movie of the trilogy empire, was the one lucas had the least involvement in the script of.

Now what were people expecting of transformers? For me i find it hard to have terribly high expectations for a toy line that got a cartoon to sell the toys being high art to start with. But transformers has some decent lore going for it, the execution of that lore and such over the different transformer series over the years, was rather hit and miss with some series being outstanding and others being rather horrid. But a good job of transformers could have been pulled off in the right hands.

For me even the first film was passable, it was a setup film, it had some of our core transformers in it, but the second film is like 3 hours of your life you will never ever get back, all the while thinking your cat could have written and directed a better film, and how the hell much are they paying this ahole to make movies anyway? I know a few children that could have done a better job than bay at this crap.

ethanizaak

Mar 14, 2011
TestECull said:
...They've got plenty of CGI explosions, there's some titties bouncing around in the other scenes, and they're not so haphazardly edited that you can see prophandlers on the edges of the screen.
Way to aim high. I think it's that lack of actual substance that turns off people who wish for a little bit more even in cliched summer blockbusters. The deeper question is is that which I quote above all film-goers should reasonably expect for their money? Can't people expect (or demand?) intelligent writing and solid acting with the explosions and boobs? I like dumb fun, too, but sometimes a film (Transformers) becomes so bloated and awful that it ruins the fun part and only leaves the dumb. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Atlas Shrugged was a lot worse, though.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Haha, I'm having too much fun imagining the (cartoon version of) Optimus Prime in Logan's avatar..... face-palming at the roid-raging, metal, monstrosity that is the Movie Optimus in the article's picture.

Nov 5, 2007
Meh, the Razzies sold out. They are not going after truly terrible movies, just after what is popular and not the best.Atlas Shrugged was WAY worse than Transformers 3, but giving prizes to transformers will get more publicity because it has much more fans. Like last year when Twilight cleaned almost every category. The movie wasn't good, but there were much more terrible films last year. They focused on Twilight because that way they could troll much more people.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Kiardras said:
Jonny49 said:
I'm fairly sure the Transformers trilogy has to be one of the worst trilogies ever made, if not the worst.
Star Wars Prequels. Transformers isn't nearly as bad as those.
The Star Wars prequels at least made a modicum of sense and had an overarching story to tell. I know, I know, Jar Jar Binks, but Razzie-worthy?

Also, that guy exaggerated an annoying amount when he said every big blockbuster was terrible. Thor and First Class were great, and people are too divided over Pirates 4's worth to call it properly terrible.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Geeze.

I really do not get this. Transformers 3 was not even a bad film. It just wasnt a good film. Hell the trilogy itself isnt that bad if you ignore two elements of #2.

I understand criticism of the franchise, but I do not understand the unmitigated hated of the series.

monojono

Sep 3, 2009
Woodsey said:
Cue the comments on elitist reviewers and how "Its not that bad if you just leave your brain at the door and have some fun".

You want to know why the Razzies exist? Because of those two fucking excuses.
You know, I went into dark of the moon wanting to leave my brain at the door and have some fun. I paid for a ticket to see action and explosions. I then had to sit through what felt like an hour of Shia le Boof trying to get a job, arguing with his girlfriend and whining away.

To anyone who says the film is fun if you switch your brain off: are you being literal? Did you actually switch off your brain and fall asleep whenever there werent robots on screen?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'd actually call Dark of the Moon an improvement... insomuch as I didn't HATE it.

I mean, unlike Revenge of the Fallen, there was no jive-talking robots, no giant robot testicles, no dogs humping, no drugged-out moms at college, no John Turturro's thong-clad butt, no pee and poop jokes, no wacky black guys yelling loudly about donuts, and no friggin' robot heaven.

On the other hand, there was "deep wang", the unlikeable parents, and the total massacre of Leonard Nimoy's iconic Warth of Kahn line.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
JackandTom said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"All of the big-budget blockbusters in 2011 have been horrible at best,"
Um, what about X-Men First Class or Thor? Even Fast Five got good reviews.
Yeah, I was just thinking that, X-Men and Thor were great and Fast Five was at least good for what it was trying to be. In fact, I'd say that Dark of the Moon and Green lantern are the only blockbusters so far this year that have been completely awful, which is pretty good going for Hollywood. Especially seem as Harry Potter and Captain America are two massive trump cards that they still have left to play.

kuroikitsune

Jul 2, 2011
TestECull said:
ethanizaak said:
TestECull said:
...They've got plenty of CGI explosions, there's some titties bouncing around in the other scenes, and they're not so haphazardly edited that you can see prophandlers on the edges of the screen.
snip.

Better to aim low and hit the target than aim high and embarrass yourself. If I want a deep story I'll pick up a book or a video game. I like Hollywood's productions for what they are: Mindless violence. It's fun to blow shit up for 90 minutes, as every July 4th I've been through since age five or so has proven.
I understand your argument, but here's the problem. The worst thing to do is go for the lowest common denominator. Yes, I understand some people like explosions and action. I love explosions and action, but I demand that the action make sense in relation to a plot. Otherwise why not just film a lot of stuff exploding and show that for 90 minutes. That's why I can admire a film like Alien 3 for it's total failure. It tried to be a good film helmed by a newcomer. It had vision, but the studio and producers needed it cheaper, a different story but with Ellen Ripley in it.

Action films can be great films. Comic book films can be great. Inception, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, Superman, Iron Man, Spiderman, Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, etc. are all good films and some are even great. But Michael Bay's Transformers is just a rehash of every other Michael Bay film that is exploitative of our memories, nostalagia and emotions. When Transformers the Movie (1986) which is nothing more than a 90 minute toy commercial designed to remove the old toy line and introduce the new one, is a MUCh better film than yours with a better plot, better pacing, better visuals, better voice acting, better characters, and more fun then you have a real problem with your film.

I don't see why a summer blockbuster has to be dumb. There are great examples of summer blockbusters that are also great films. Look at Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc, ET, Lethal Weapon, the Matrix, etc.

There's nothing wrong with failing. If you aim high and miss, then you learn something. If you aim low and hit the mark all you've done is proven you can hit the water by falling out of a boat.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
And yet it, like all the other TF movies, continues to dominate at the box office. Apparently the disconnect between audiences and reviewers/outspoken internet commenters is bigger than you all realize.

It must be doing something right to make money, and I don't buy "the mindless sheep throw money at crap" argument.