Real Black Ops Guy Discusses Violence in Games

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
feather240 said:
duchaked said:
there are some more "realistic" shooters on the market, but they aren't always the most fun to play

but I do agree that combat games can be made to teach some realistic skills (aside from stuff we already experience now like desensitization and heightened senses)
Insurgency was pretty good.
hmmm mayyybe idk

and the errors with the gun mechanisms in the cover art seem more like an artistic error than anything so it doesn't directly correlate with the game itself-ah whatever nevermind haha

I wonder if his book is any good...might check it out

Requx

Mar 28, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Anyone who joins the military and is over-daring because they're "used to having more lives" deserves to get shot.
They always get mad when they don't have a respawn timer.JESUS on the other hand

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Finally, someone from the military with common sense unlike that other guy from that recent talkshow. I was astounded by his service record and I admire that and the fact that he really knows his shit when he's talking about this.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Sleifer said:
I hate to be "that guy", but does anyone else feel wary about accepting his claims to having been a part of black ops missions as a member of a nonspecific combined services unit? Some of his stuff seems fluffed to attract FPS gamers, I mean one of his selling points is that the tactics will help you in a video game. A lot of the information also seems "off" on his site, and he's never specific about anything (served as combat team commander of what? You mean I can't look you up to see if you were even in Vietnam?) For example he mentions the picture and says that most of his gear was from some black market? No one questions this? He also says after 19 years of serving he just decided to up and quit. Really? No contract or anything for a super classified black ops guy? It's as if he's another one of those guys who claims he was special forces, but was really just a guy who knew a guy while serving as a photographer or something like that, or possibly worse. I also can't find anything on this guy outside of some interviews with random gaming sites, no press interviews or anything like that. Seems like this guy is just trying to con some kids who buy into hollywood's portrayal of black ops. His "tactics" also sound very, very sketchy. There's just so many damn red flags about this guy.

Edit: In an article on this blog ( http://paranoidemdroid.blogspot.com/2010/11/women-combat-and-cod-guest-blog.html ), he talks about how women served on his combat teams. Can anyone explain this to me, as women can't even apply to special forces let alone some elite, "president's army" type stuff? I'm also fairly sure that women back then received no training for combat roles. (Not trying to be sexist, it's just fact, the argument that women should be able to serve in the special forces is another thing entirely).

Come on, I can't be the ONLY guy who finds this guy sketchy. What kind of self respecting super elite special forces guy would not only publicly share his past, but also attempt to peddle a book claiming to bring real world tactics into video games to teen-aged gamers?
Actually, the book is recounting 10 operations he was part of during his time in service.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The perfect game, in Hammersmith's opinion, would emulate a combat environment to teach gamers how to really act in such a situation. "I think games can wield people's attention, and maybe even teach them how to wield their own attention," he said. "Let's have a way to shut off auto-aim and extra lives, and having infinite ammo, and let's find a way to turn off the radar so you don't know where your opponent is. Let's have a game that allows you to use more of a field, to do things that make tactical sense."

I'm not sure that a game like that would be fun for everybody, but I'm pretty sure the purists would eat it up.
I'd play that.
Without all the hud stuff, it would probably be very cinematic.

Sleifer

Sep 11, 2008
AnAngryMoose said:
Actually, the book is recounting 10 operations he was part of during his time in service.
The problem is I can't read it to see if he's really specific in his book, but I mean, just look at this description:

"Leading Teams into battle at the age of 18 until he retired at 37, his Teams were comprised of highly-trained men and women from all branches of military service. Their job was to kill and destroy in the name of the United States.

These never before revealed stories will draw you in as if you were part of the Team, under fire in forests, deserts, parking lots, on freeways and even the in the frozen Arctic.

Follow Hammersmith and his Teammates chasing traitors, recovering stolen intelligence, hunting illegal arms dealers, and destroying enemy weapon stockpiles throughout the world.

These Teams always knew they were going to a Gunfight! This book isolates the action of each battle and includes the tactics and training scenarios used for their survival."

Everything is so nonspecific and sounds so unprofessional. For example, it only says "Teams", never anything specific that can be traced back to a program that was in action back then. It also says "highly-trained men and women from all branches of military service", and I already addressed the issue with that. Yet another red flag is this "under fire in forests, deserts, parking lots, on freeways and even the in the FROZEN ARCTIC." This just smells way too much like some guy trying to make a quick buck off a community that wouldn't fact check these things. I have a very strong feeling that he's gonna be called out and will have to state that this book is fiction or something along those lines.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
He seems to be missing the "game" part of this, and I'm not sure where he gets this idea of people being trained through growing up with FPS games. I really don't think that's the purpose.

With no offense, I think he sounds a little detached from reality (if I'm reading that carefully) as the position he's approaching it from seems more than a little "off".

To put things into perspective, playing a game, and doing whatever that game was about in real life are two seperate things. Sure, a FPS game can give you an understanding of tactics and what some ordinance can do, but it's not going to teach you how to behave in a combat situation. Even with paintball, the differance between "doing" and seeing something in a
game is entitely differant. When it's you actually moving, feeling the enviroment, and
having to line up the shots, things are entirely differant.

I simply put do not buy for a second that anyone is stupid in real life due to some belief (subconscious or otherwise) that they have multiple lives themselves, or that real people are going to come back from death. In many cases I think people try and insert those delusions (especially the latter) to try and project a system of logic the can understand to some extent, especially when dealing with a true psycho who just killed someone because they wanted to (especially when it comes to kids).

I'll also say that FPS players would make incredibly bad soldiers if they tried to act like they do in those games. Being a soldier is about patience, disapline, and working with each other. Even a lot of the best coordinated teams are fundementally a bunch of people running around willy nilly... at least compared to the disapline of the military. There is a reason why they have "Boot Camp" which exists to break people down, and turn them into a tool usable by the US goverment. The military does not want individuals who take initiative, it by and large wants people who follow orders, and do what they are told, when they are told, and in predetermined and trained fashion.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Agrael said:
Battlefield 2 has a mod called Project Reality, which I suggest you people try if you want realism.
Seconded. Game is absolutely insane. You spend a lot of time doing...nothing (patrols, setting traps) but it's really fun/

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
ArmA 2. spend hours on one single operation, if you get shot, you die for good.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
A lot of soap-box anti video games figures state that a completely realistic shooter would cease to function the first time you died. That raises the question of who the fuck would play such a game? Their products for entertainment meant to turn a profit, the Armed Forces have realistic simulators but they're not meant for entertainment.

Fledge

Jan 28, 2010
He can't have talked to a representative sample of people who play Call of Duty games as currently most of them age from 11-14.
They do not ask thoughtful questions.
They generally aren't very clever either.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Greg Tito said:
...his father shot bullets at him when he was 8 to desensitize him...
Err, I don't quite know what to say... ... ... ... that's f*cked up. That having been said, his operational record speaks for itself; so maybe paternal craziness was paternal genius after all.
The best soldiers are those who don't let themselves become distracted by anything.
As romanticized as military life has become, real combat rewards the calm combatant; not the passionate one.
The people who are so desensitized that they will not panic at the sight of blood or the sound of gunfire.
You could easily say the same thing about hitmen, killers and psychopaths. I'm not saying all soldiers are psychopaths, I'm just saying you could really eff up a person's sense of reality when you mess with his head like that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
AxelxGabriel said:
You could easily say the same thing about hitmen, killers and psychopaths. I'm not saying all soldiers are psychopaths, I'm just saying you could really eff up a person's sense of reality when you mess with his head like that.
You would be correct. Every war has produced people of that sort.
Real combat and war are not clean subjects. They never have been.
It takes a strong will and tremendous self-control to endure that sort of lifestyle for long without breaking in some way.

Most war veterans I've met (who saw/participated in combat) scarcely talk about those experiences even decades after the fact. And I know far too many retired soldiers (they all moved to these little armpit suburbs).

Personally, I feel lucky to not have to live in "the moment" every day of my life.

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
well I gotta message for John Rambo over here. I was in the Finnish army for 6 months. that's as realistic as it gets for me. (goes back to CoD)

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Realism is for army trainees. Games are for gamers.

Look at Sauerbraten, Doom, Quake, any good shooter, it'll be unrealistic and completely fucking AWESOME.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SteelStallion said:
His name is fucking Wolfgang Hammersmith.

Wolfgang. Hammersmith

I couldn't make a more badass name if I tried. This guy must know what he's talking about.
Only one comment about this, I'm surprised. That name was just awesome beyond belief. I immediately imagined some rugged, Germanic giant, camouflage paint in wicked tribal shapes. That or basically TF2's Medic.

But there is of course Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster [http://www.cracked.com/funny-2592-staff-sgt.-max-fightmaster/]. Well, he's Sergeant First Class Max Fightmaster now, sadly that doesn't have the same ring to it. And they're not even making it up, it's just...holy shit. Words just cannot comprehend the awesomeness of that name.

*ahem*

Anyway, on to the topic at hand, this guy sounds pretty damn cool. It's funny how completely unrelated politicians are crying foul about 'us gamers', but someone 'from the field' is pleasantly surprised about when he actually meets people like us.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Jim Grim said:
Good lord no, can you imagine the reaction to a game that "teaches gamers how to really act in such a situation?"
THEY'RE TEACHING OUR CHILDREN TO BE SOLDIERS! AAUUAUAUAUAAUHAGAAHGAHGHHHHH!

At the moment a LOT of Call of Duty players most likely think that the franchise is already teaching them how to act in such a situation. Too many idiots will try and join the army because of CoD in the future and it's a great way to gain cannon fodder.

I want a war game where you kill some foreigners,suffer extreme mental issues and finally die pointlessly. Would probably be a lot more enjoyable than CoD

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Svenparty said:
Jim Grim said:
Good lord no, can you imagine the reaction to a game that "teaches gamers how to really act in such a situation?"
THEY'RE TEACHING OUR CHILDREN TO BE SOLDIERS! AAUUAUAUAUAAUHAGAAHGAHGHHHHH!

At the moment a LOT of Call of Duty players most likely think that the franchise is already teaching them how to act in such a situation. Too many idiots will try and join the army because of CoD in the future and it's a great way to gain cannon fodder.

I want a war game where you kill some foreigners,suffer extreme mental issues and finally die pointlessly. Would probably be a lot more enjoyable than CoD
1.By a "LOT of Call of Duty players" I assume you mean an impressionable few. Not many people are actually that stupid, though it might seem that way sometimes.
2.That doesn't sound particularly 'enjoyable,' but whatever floats your boat, my friend. Whatever floats your boat.