Real scary PC games.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
rokkolpo said:
i think it was called the path.

real freaky
"The Path" is very good, but I suspect that that's not what he is looking for. It's more existential crisis, loss of innocence scary, as opposed to a scary, Halloween-type game. But still, any excuse to get more people to play that potential-filled gem.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
feather240 said:
So I hear STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty scary...

Can someone elaborate?
You've just entered a small, abandoned village, single-story homes boarded up against some unknown threat. The crack of thunder rings through empty window frames, and lightning casts crazed shadows across the dead grass. You've been sent here to cleanse the area of creatures called "bloodsuckers"- vicious, cannibalistic mutants- but gazing down the sights of your trusty SPAS-12 combat shotgun reveals nothing apparently living. The skies open up as you advance, pouring rain down on you as you gingerly step around one of the hanging anomalies clinging to a power pole, another crack of thunder almost deafening you... what was that sound? It almost resembled the panting of some beast. Must have been your imagination.

Cursing the downpour, and your own stupidity for coming here at sundown, you approach a small silo near the far end of the village. Two bodies lie in front of a doorway, not far from a toppled thresher. Wait... one of the bodies is moving! A weak cry for help comes out. Moving as cautiously as you can, you check the thresher, then spin around to watch the perimeter... still nothing. Yet as you approach the wounded Stalker, you can't shake the feeling you're being watched....

A snarl behind you as you bend down to help the wounded man. You whirl, shotgun to your shoulder. A blur, two points of light, burning into your soul like twin pinholes into Hell. Claws rake your arm, tearing fabric and flesh, throwing off your aim; your shotgun roars, pellets spewed into the air. Desperately you rush past the faint outline of something inhuman, just dodging another swing aimed at your head. You spin, jack a fresh round into the chamber, and fire. Blood spurts, and a dark shape materializes for a moment, hardly breaking stride as it rushes you. Too slow you backpedal, and wicked claws tear at your armor vest, cutting through Kevlar like tissue. Another shell chambered, another blast to the chest of this horror- and finally it goes down, snarling and flailing, the fire in its eyes dying like the last light of dusk.

Breath unsteady, hands shaking, you struggle to load fresh shells into your shotgun. Then a snarl, and the boards barricading the doorway of the abandoned house you're leaning against burst through, shattered by some invisible force....

And that's only about 15% of the way into the game. I don't even want to remember those underground labs.

Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
rokkolpo said:
i think it was called the path.

real freaky
"The Path" is very good, but I suspect that that's not what he is looking for. It's more existential crisis, loss of innocence scary, as opposed to a scary, Halloween-type game. But still, any excuse to get more people to play that potential-filled gem.
The Path is really creepy when you can't find your way back to the path...

Also, the first time I found the wolf, I was too afraid to approach him.

Subsequent times went better, though.

Also Grandmother's house is just fucked up if you get everything in one go.

That was quite terrifying.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
feather240 said:
So I hear STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty scary...

Can someone elaborate?
You've just entered a small, abandoned village, single-story homes boarded up against some unknown threat. The crack of thunder rings through empty window frames, and lightning casts crazed shadows across the dead grass. You've been sent here to cleanse the area of creatures called "bloodsuckers"- vicious, cannibalistic mutants- but gazing down the sights of your trusty SPAS-12 combat shotgun reveals nothing apparently living. The skies open up as you advance, pouring rain down on you as you gingerly step around one of the hanging anomalies clinging to a power pole, another crack of thunder almost deafening you... what was that sound? It almost resembled the panting of some beast. Must have been your imagination.

Cursing the downpour, and your own stupidity for coming here at sundown, you approach a small silo near the far end of the village. Two bodies lie in front of a doorway, not far from a toppled thresher. Wait... one of the bodies is moving! A weak cry for help comes out. Moving as cautiously as you can, you check the thresher, then spin around to watch the perimeter... still nothing. Yet as you approach the wounded Stalker, you can't shake the feeling you're being watched....

A snarl behind you as you bend down to help the wounded man. You whirl, shotgun to your shoulder. A blur, two points of light, burning into your soul like twin pinholes into Hell. Claws rake your arm, tearing fabric and flesh, throwing off your aim; your shotgun roars, pellets spewed into the air. Desperately you rush past the faint outline of something inhuman, just dodging another swing aimed at your head. You spin, jack a fresh round into the chamber, and fire. Blood spurts, and a dark shape materializes for a moment, hardly breaking stride as it rushes you. Too slow you backpedal, and wicked claws tear at your armor vest, cutting through Kevlar like tissue. Another shell chambered, another blast to the chest of this horror- and finally it goes down, snarling and flailing, the fire in its eyes dying like the last light of dusk.

Breath unsteady, hands shaking, you struggle to load fresh shells into your shotgun. Then a snarl, and the boards barricading the doorway of the abandoned house you're leaning against burst through, shattered by some invisible force....

And that's only about 15% of the way into the game. I don't even want to remember those underground labs.
I bet it's not that scary with hacks.

Arkzism

Jan 24, 2008
call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth, pretty freaky shit, fps, go quite a bit with otu a weapon, things get really freaky especially when you start to hallucinate

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
I've tried to play Penumbra, Call of Cthulu and am currently trying to get into STALKER the problem is I got bored with the first two almost immediately and I'm getting bored of STALKER. Can anyone recommend a more engaging horror game?

atol

Jan 16, 2009
STALKER doesn't necessarily try to scare you, but there's two reasons that it can be considered scary.
1) Atmosphere. It's an apocalyptic, lonely, dark, gritty unknown.
2) Everything is trying to kill you. Humans, mutated and diseased wildlife, nearly invisible anomalies, and other unspeakables.

If you can stay immersed, it can be like what The Rogue Wolf painted for us above. If you can't, it feels more like a survival simulation for a B movie. I have to say, it's pretty difficult to stay immersed when you die over and over ... and over and over... and over and over...... to things of which you had no forewarning.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
Mcface said:
Chipperz said:
Mcface said:
Chipperz said:
Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines.

It's just for one bit in a haunted house, but it's so well done. The first time I played it, I had to shut it off and play again in daylight.
Ah I freaking hated that.
Especially since I only had a pistol, with 4 shots when I went in.
It felt like it was the hardest quest to do, and then i realized I didnt even fire a shot
Heh, did you go into third person at any point? Biiig surprises there...

Occasionally something comes up on the screen just behind you. If you turn to look at it, it dissapears. I genuinely found it fucking terrifying.
Yeap, I had to switch out of first person because it scared the crap out of me, only to see her right behind me.
Oh God, yes. I switched to third person when I entered the building, because horror games always are less scary when you can see around you, but soon I had to regret it...

Check out this mod for HL2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRlYGbxYA0

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
ShotgunSmoke said:
Mcface said:
Chipperz said:
Mcface said:
Chipperz said:
Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines.

It's just for one bit in a haunted house, but it's so well done. The first time I played it, I had to shut it off and play again in daylight.
Ah I freaking hated that.
Especially since I only had a pistol, with 4 shots when I went in.
It felt like it was the hardest quest to do, and then i realized I didnt even fire a shot
Heh, did you go into third person at any point? Biiig surprises there...

Occasionally something comes up on the screen just behind you. If you turn to look at it, it dissapears. I genuinely found it fucking terrifying.
Yeap, I had to switch out of first person because it scared the crap out of me, only to see her right behind me.
Oh God, yes. I switched to third person when I entered the building, because horror games always are less scary when you can see around you, but soon I had to regret it...

Check out this mod for HL2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRlYGbxYA0
That mod looks awesome, where can I get it?