Really GOOD rappers.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Jadak said:
Good...Rap? Huh?

Really though, aside from the standard trolling involved here, I've never really gotten the appeal. The only thing that ever makes rap "good", is impressive writing, and that hardly needs to be limited to any form of music to be considered good. I find that having some dude sing what may be some impressive literature just ruins it by being annoying.
Yes I used to like rap and I still have a taste for it, but it's so repetitive and stupid. To begin with rappers are considered "good" if they use metaphors, well great you just brought up something you learned in Elementary English, no attention is placed on the lyrics or how well the beat was made (which is often the more attractive part). The lyrics especially, every rapper raps about the same thing for the most part, there are a few exceptions like Eminem but even then it still gets old. Even worse old respected rappers adopt new gimmicks like new lyrics and they are not attacked for it, hardcore fans are even dumber than their respective rappers and have lost their ability to think for themselves.

But the main part was the lyrics, there are a few exceptions again, but for the most part the one thing most rappers (even the respected "intelligent" rappers) share is douchebag lyrics showing off how much better they are than you and any other rapper (which is funny since rap has alot of collaborations), saying that everyone who doesn't like them obviously hates them because they are rich while their critics are not, or how great their flow is, or how amazing their last hit was. When they don't talk about that they talk about love (probably in an ironic way), violence, rarely drugs and sex (where the ironic part goes). Female rappers respond to the pimping as being a great prostitute and stealing all the guys money. I know underground rappers don't do that but it's just so annoying.

But on reflection, the lyrics represent pure capitalism at its finest. The rappers are better than the business men since while both they and the business men are douchebag pimps who screw someone else over by their salary and then screw more people over with it, rappers are at least honest about it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Well, this thread is now ponies.

Screw biological incompatibilities and whatnot, I want Swagberg's babies.
Funny enough, Ponies the anthology got me into Bone Crusher and thats some HEAVY, ghetto rap.

ATTENTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Gloomsta said:
Portishead. <3 One of my favourite musical acts.

You've probably seen this, but for everyone else, here's their show featuring Chuck D. of Public Enemy (another group worth checking out, OP.)

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
Roots Manuva is okay. I've never heard any rap that I would consider better than okay though.

That dude you linked sounds quite bad.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
It isn't hard to find more, if you've found Scroobius Pip all you've gotta do is Wikipedia him, see he and Dan Le Sac are signed to Strange Famous, then when you've found that you've found the window for everything else. There are rappers however that go by unnoticed, that aren't as lucky as Sage Francis or Atmosphere, so I'ma recommend some of them:

<youtube=t8OEMdmbWEQ>

<youtube=q7RvkMzhX_o>

<youtube=edPFCQjeWtc>

<youtube=mNIKFwWpmdw>

Monochrome

Dec 7, 2010
P.O.S
Doomtree
Cool Calm Pete
Add-2
Mos-Def and Talib Kweli (might have been mentioned already)
Brother Ali
Fashawn (...)
Kendrick Lamar (...)
Gang Starr
Q-Tip has some nice tracks too
A tribe called quest
Wax Tailor
Binary Star

And that's pretty much all that I recommend.

Edit: My bad... Forgot to mention that you should really try checking some tracks by J-Dilla. He is not a rapper, but still.
Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91v84BpXqXA&feature=related

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Below: Rappers with some good songs of theirs in the parenthesis next to their name. Enjoy.

Evil (They come around, Told you So)
Aesop Rock (Citronella, Getaway Car)
Busdriver (Imaginary Places, Me Time)
Danger Doom (The Mask, Mince Meat)
Ugly Duckling (Smack, Energy Drink)

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Lyrically/technically talented rappers you say? Here's a heap that should keep you busy! They come in all flavors, from mainstream sex-pot to underground angst.

Biggest independent rapper ever, if you can get into him he's excellent.

Technically every guy in this group can be counted among the best ever, as a group they push each other to extreme heights. Part of Eminems Shady 2.0 crew, probably the best in the game right now.

This guy is pretty much Tupac mixed with Talib Kweli, one of my new favourites among the up and comers

Aaaah yes, southern-fried ladies man and sex-maniac Lud. Seriously underestimated as an MC. Unique flow, awesome punchlines and one of the funniest guys in rap.

You probably know these but check their stuff out if you havent.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
ShakyFiend said:
snipsnipsnip

If you like that guy, you might get into K-Rino. I don't much care for him, but the man has serious talent. Less talented, but more fun is SPM, who doesn't have the advanced level of lyrics that K-rino tends to have, but seems to usually have much more solid songs

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
TheBelgianGuy said:
TrilbyWill said:
okay, what you wanna do is turn off that middle class white-boy stuff and listen to Biggie and Tupac.
there's your good rap.

ShakyFiend said:
original lyrically. like Eminem
most of his songs are about hitting his wife, killing his wife, hating his wife, or doing them to his mother. or about his women issues, just in case you hadnt picked up on them.
Of course. Because endorsing drugs, using women as sex-objects, Afrocentrism, murder on people with another skin colour and murder on police officers are MUCH better subjects.
Just in case you hadn't picked up on them.

Maybe people like Eminem because in the world of "drugs 'n' violence is cool, teach it to kids, yo", suddenly some random dude's personal problems in life become much more interesting.
when rap was first starting drugs, gang violence and women as sex objects were problems that affected african-american/black/whatever is PC now people.

albinokid66

Dec 25, 2010
Plan B's 'who needs actions' album is the best rap album of the decade by far...

Just to classify, I like music from every genre: Wim Mertens, Vaughn Williams, and Philip Glass to Lady Gaga, ICP, Ramstein and rizzle kicks...

This song is my favorite rap song by far, it's genre defying and most importantly you feel the hatred and anger, I have never encountered a song that does this as well as no more eatin'. It's a masterpiece in my book.

Also Check out Immortal technique, a lyrical master, (don't expect to come out of alot of his songs feeling on top of the world though)

some Public enemy to liven up the mood.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
NWA, Public Enemy and Immortal Technique.

3 cases of amazing rap, very raw and lyrically talented.

NinjaMoogle218

Oct 11, 2010
I personally would point you to George Watsky. Skinny ass white kid from San Fran, got a pretty noticeable lisp... and he spits like a man possessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVweyoy42Y

As for the rest, Pac and Biggie you can't really go wrong, but everyone says those two. I'm still a Jay-Z fan, mostly because I was more a fan of the "business is business", cold clean efficiency of East Coast (Nas, Beastie Boys, etc.) as opposed to the grunge and grit of West Coast and the Deep South skeeze.

Then there's Control Machete, si tu hablas espanol. They were on the soundtrack for the first Crackdown, if you're wondering where I found out about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1IF9QOIZw

There was once a magical combination in Japan consisting of Shing02 and Nujabes, and they got together and made the Samurai Champloo soundtrack in almost its entirety. Then Nujabes died in a car crash a few years ago, and I wept manly tears. My favorite track from them, Luv Sic Pt.2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxgpHWtLC0

I saw Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul up there. Props, @Gloomsta! The Native Tongues movement was fucking FANTASTIC. Tribe in particular are good because their beats have a real strong jazz influence thanks to Q-Tip. Speaking of Q, try Mos Def. He's the only rapper I know that I want to actually continue both rapping AND acting, as opposed to Ice-T doing the cop thing (?!) and Ice Cube babysitting kids (?!?!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFyTzjJDeCk (This goes out to all my homies that get jerked around by chicks. Y'all know what I mean.)

I REALLY hope this thread stays informative and non-flammable. This has great potential.

NnyTheV

Aug 1, 2009
Personally I enjoy some good old MC Frontalot.

Edit: Embed fail. I'll just link it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGYO9nEFSQ

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Well, for the most part I can't abide rap, for a variety of reasons, but every once in a while I find something completely awesome. This has a solid musical background, and doesn't get completely hung up on the lyrics, which helps, I think.