Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
I've enjoyed the previous couple videos miss Mayes has released, but this one didn't do it for me.
It was just rhythmically bland.

Interesting use of instrumentation, though. I'd love to hear interesting instrumentation like that being used in a less wall-of-sound-y song.

It's just that when you use droning rhythms and flood the track with sound like that, most instruments lose their uniqueness in the roar of it. And as dynamics go, it's a rather cheap way to build up.

I hope I haven't been OVERLY critical. It was good to see some experimentation going on. Experiments don't always have a good result, is all.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Yeah... a musician should never straty too far away from his/her genre or this is what happens.

It's like a mage in an RPG deciding to use a bow and arrow. The results dissapoint.

El pup

Jun 26, 2010
solidstatemind said:
El pup said:
Lots and Lots of Words
You know what is really sad? That you took the time to put together a logical, reasoned point of view that seemed largely coherent, and then you completely invalidated any shred of worth it may have had by including several pointless ad hominem arguments and outright insults.

We get it: you don't like her anymore. Thing is, most of the people posting here don't agree with you, and you're pretty much wasting both their time and yours by trying to evanglize in this forum. In the vein of your "I don't ask how a game is made" comment, I personally don't eat liver and then ***** about how much I hate liver. I just don't eat it in the first place, nor do I keep trying it to see if 'this time I like it'. Life is too short for wasting time like that. I suspect you are looking for some validation or a like-minded person to agree with you: again, I think you're making a very poor choice of venue. Perhaps you'd find more fertile ground in the 'off-topic' forum?

OT:
I generally enjoy the music, but this vid, I just... No. Not my thing, but I guess experimentation is to be expected. Playing the drum with broccoli almost made it worth watching tho.
Take the time to put together a logical, reasoned point of view? No, it really doesn't take me any time at all. This is my normal thought process that flow, to be honest if I put time and effort the effort would actually go in to making it shorter. As Mark Twain has said "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."

As for the "No one here agrees with you" argument you posted, if you read some of the other posts I think you may find that this one has not resulted in the "good job Rebecca" praise she normally gets... Even her twitter has been getting harsh replies lately. Therefor I don't necesarily feel this is the wrong choice of venue...

I especially don't feel like its the wrong choice of venue because I'm not passing idol destructive criticism... These are legitament complaints. My joking to sort of make the point a little more accessable to certain people is just that... I wouldn't see how it renders the points I make as INVALID. It's like saying Richard Dawkins is wrong in his Oxford studies on Evolutionary biology just because he focuses so strongly on atheism.

And while you feel like they are just me preaching to the wrong choir, why is silencing me the only option? In a sense you would be doing the same thing in preaching to me (all though in your case you are more white knighting)... Wouldn't it be more inappropriate to start a "I HAVEN'T LIKED REBECCA MAYES LATELY" thread? It would be a little uncalled for. Responding to her latest video on here seems like the best place to do it.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
El pup said:
I can actually pinpoint when and where I started not liking her and her work.

*snip, but totaly agree*

It seems she's begining to let herself go after the VERY TINY taste of success she has had. She's surrounded herself with "yes" people who so much as praise whenever she takes a dump and wipes properly, she thinks everyone cares about the issues she does and demonizes those who don't, She's even going so far as starting "celebrity beef." It's just sad because she has talent and it is a unique thing she WAS doing... It just seems like all the talent has been wrung out of her and all that is left is a shallow withered husk.
I also really enjoyed her earlier work but recently it seems like she has been channeling Yoko Ono and not in a good way. The Yahtzee love song really brought it into focus. It is blatantly obvious Yahtzee loves video games. He just chooses to show that love like a disapproving parent. Constantly pointing out any faults he finds so that future iterations can be closer to perfection.

I don't get that vibe from the Mayes videos. It seems she loves video games like she would love the talent agent that is going to get her to the big time. Her recent songs just seem to be music with video game titles in them so that they can be put up on the Escapist website.

I didn?t want to post on this video thread because I didn?t want to increase the thread's comment count, but my thoughts on Mayes and Yahtzee didn?t warrant its own thread. So thank you El pub for giving me an excuse to get my thoughts out in the open.

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
I really liked the experimentation with the sound and visuals. It seemed much better than the usual "review set to music" that a few others have pointed out. I rather liked the story set to the visuals and everything tying in together as it did.

Very nice work.

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
El pup said:
TL;DR thing
Your point? You have an opinion that differs from others, congratulations. If you stopped liking her music enough to ramble that much, why are you bothering to continue watching the videos?

Equalox

Sep 1, 2009
El pup said:
Are you even trying to make good music anymore?

Sorry to offend, but this sounds like a crappy sigur ros cover band attempting to write something original for the first time, but then trying to pretend that they "weren't really trying."

The funny thing is I enjoy sigur ros and bands in that genre. This was just plain pathetic.

Was the the whole meant to suck that bad to convey how horrible this game is?
This is without a doubt the worse song you have ever written.
*Nods in Agreement*

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Honestly I feel like Ms. Mayes has taken an artistic quantum leap forward in the past few months. This video is no exception.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
El pup said:
Take the time to put together a logical, reasoned point of view? No, it really doesn't take me any time at all. This is my normal thought process that flow, to be honest if I put time and effort the effort would actually go in to making it shorter. As Mark Twain has said "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."

As for the "No one here agrees with you" argument you posted, if you read some of the other posts I think you may find that this one has not resulted in the "good job Rebecca" praise she normally gets... Even her twitter has been getting harsh replies lately. Therefor I don't necesarily feel this is the wrong choice of venue...

I especially don't feel like its the wrong choice of venue because I'm not passing idol destructive criticism... These are legitament complaints. My joking to sort of make the point a little more accessable to certain people is just that... I wouldn't see how it renders the points I make as INVALID. It's like saying Richard Dawkins is wrong in his Oxford studies on Evolutionary biology just because he focuses so strongly on atheism.

And while you feel like they are just me preaching to the wrong choir, why is silencing me the only option? In a sense you would be doing the same thing in preaching to me (all though in your case you are more white knighting)... Wouldn't it be more inappropriate to start a "I HAVEN'T LIKED REBECCA MAYES LATELY" thread? It would be a little uncalled for. Responding to her latest video on here seems like the best place to do it.
All that reading, with none of the comprehension. Go reread what I said:
1) I never said no one agreed with you, I said few people here would agree with you.
2) I didn't say your insults and ad hominem attacks invalidated your points, I said they invalidated their worth. Big difference. To make your analogy appropriate, it would be like Dawkins trying to publish an academic paper on evolutionary biology and, in it, he states "Besides, anybody who believes in god is a fucking retard." I doubt that paper would get published, regardless of how valid or noteworthy the other material was.
3) I never said you shouldn't state your opinion, and I certainly don't wish to silence you. I simply pointed out that you're more likely to achieve the effect you are looking for (a discussion of the flaws you perceive) in a different forum. I still maintain that to be the case; furthermore, I don't think that posting a reasonable thread with the title "So am I the only one who hasn't liked RMM much lately?" would be inappropriate. If you cut and pasted what you wrote above, you'd probably get in trouble for being so insulting about it, but there have been plenty of threads about Yahtzee being a jerk or whatever over the couple of years I've been posting here.
4) I'm not being a 'white knight'. Or at least that is not my intention. I simply was saying that a lot of people probably would give your opinion more consideration if you didn't have the schoolyard namecalling (at worst) and ad hominem arguments (at best) in it.

So, to sum up, insults and ad hominem attacks are useless things when you're trying to make a point about which you feel strongly; if you're really trying to appeal to a specific audience, I would suggest you consider who, exactly, is going to both find those 'jokes' amusing and actually be interested in a discussion, anyway?

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
I agree with the others in saying that Rebecca Mayes isnt a game critic anymore. Although this video did involve some parts about the game, she did the opposite of the other recent videos and took away good music to go with a game review. I understand shes trying to promote her new album but she should still provide the service she did with her earlier videos seeing as most of her fans come from The Escapist.
Sorry but I hated this vid :(

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I saw the title of the video, paused, and then my mind exploded.

However, this is the only time I remember ever being disappointed by one of Rebecca's songs. I just couldn't get into it.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
El pup said:
Lots and Lots of Words
Dear El Pup,

Hello. I have read everything you have written, as you have listened to every song I have sung. It is a strange sort of relationship. We both sit at our computers and write these words like artforms. I am hurt by your words, of course. As was, I suppose, your intention, and I found what you said about your girlfriend very disrespectful; I hope she finds a man who respects her as she deserves, which may in time, be you. But back to the point. I will feel hurt of course. Or feel insecure. Or angry. Or sad. To pretend otherwise is to be in denial. The emotions are there and they are really quite harmless, really quite beautiful. And they are not the totality of me, or anyone. In fact they haven't anything at all to do with who I really am. If I was living for my ego I wouldn't be doing this. Ego's can't hack this kind of thing - just look at what happens to famous people. It attracts so much hate. Just the other day someone sent me a twitter to say they hoped I would get hit by a bus. And I am just a girl who lives in devon and makes silly videos.

I make them for us, for you and for me. I make them for fun. I make them to see what happens. I care. I work hard. I love it when you love it. And when you don't I am sad. I wouldn't have it any other way. This one appears to have gone down badly with a fair few of you, as I sort of thought it might. But don't be to quick to put a linear pattern to it. The belief of things going downhill is a general negative-thinker thing. Positive thinkers have the opposite problem and always think things are getting better, but that is similarly an illusion. My take on it is more circular. There are definitely songs/videos that are better than others. But better in whose opinion? The circle will take a different loop for each of us, including me (and many of those you mentioned in your list are my favourites like The Monster and The Mirror). This song will be someone's favourite, even if they are in the minority. That is the beauty of individuality.

Well dear El Pup, if I may be so bold as to address you as such, I wish you all the best in your endeavors. You clearly have a sharp mind and eloquent voice. Criticism is an artform, and I'm sure you will put it to good use. Keep asking why things are not as they should be.

Rebecca

Ruagh

Nov 14, 2009
OH MY GOD REBECCA MAYES IS A DECEPTICON!

anyway...

An interesting song. Bit strange, but I liked it.
Both the music and the dancing.

timsteruk

Jul 9, 2010
oh, my word..... so much rage!
deep breath.
if you girls wanna compete in the gun games, come compete. if you dont, dont play the games or play them on your own/coop. do what you want to enjoy yourself on those or other games.... but dont come and piss on my party just cus it aint you gig!
i work hard. im nice to the customers (i work retail) and not cinicaly but to actually try and help em and give them a smoother day. when i get home i let loose and try and face fuck my opponents. whats wrong with that? if you dont like it go and just not do it. k? k.

timsteruk

Jul 9, 2010
ooh ooh. and to say that previous post was just on the ''i hope third person shooters die/ why are they doing this with the transformers franchise'' discussion of the video. the music itself inspired neither anger nor pleasure. meh.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
Er.

I don't know how to put this, being madly in love with you and all (don't worry, my girlfriend gave me permission), but I couldn't watch it all at once. I usually put in a single headphone at work so nobody would notice I'm jammin' to you or Yahtzee while I'm doing boring office stuff, but when I got to the bridge, which sounded like somebody putting a chain link fence into a blender, I just had to stop. I couldn't stand the sound, didn't understand the words (I wasn't supposed to, I guess), and I couldn't bear to watch the video.

So. Er. Better luck next time?

It could also be that I hate transformers almost as much as I hate Star Wars (I'm pretty terrible at that "nerd" thing). I roll my eyes whenever somebody mentions Transformers, usually replying, "It's been 40 years. Can't anyone think of something NEW?" I guess I also say that about Star Wars.

And... reading your blog post... I understand the point, but intentionally bad... is still bad.

Sorry.

Luck and love. I'll still look out for your videos.