Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
Whispering Death said:
Yeah... a musician should never straty too far away from his/her genre or this is what happens.

It's like a mage in an RPG deciding to use a bow and arrow. The results dissapoint.
I couldn't disagree more.
A musician who doesn't diversify, stagnates.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
The melody was preety good and quite soothing at times. However, the lyrics were just awful, even if they were intended to be such. =/

Oh well...

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Blayze2k said:
Whispering Death said:
Yeah... a musician should never straty too far away from his/her genre or this is what happens.

It's like a mage in an RPG deciding to use a bow and arrow. The results dissapoint.
I couldn't disagree more.
A musician who doesn't diversify, stagnates.
Really? You think Tool would put out a great country album? Public Enemy a great technical math metal album. Madonna a concerto?

Great musicians work their talents in a particular area, if I may draw a somewhat lame gaming analogy, putting their skill points into the technical requirements of songwriting required by the genre.

For example, Rebecca Mayes creates simple melodies with a guitar. That's what she's practiced. This song was somewhat anti-melodic and is based on layering tracks on top of eachother to crechendo into a peak and then end with a denouement. Songwriting like this requires skills more analogous to certain styles of techno or trance than those of soft rock.

So when someone without those requisite skills tries to make a song of a genre the songwriter is ill equipped to succeed and, as we see with this example, fails.

unlikely

May 19, 2010
I thought this was really good on all levels, and was glad to hear a switch in musical style. I think people are a little quick to associate a playful stab in a new direction, or indeed any sentiment in a creative work, with some kind of over-arching attitude or methodology on behalf of the artist. That's just not the case most of the time in any artistic field.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
im afraid im going to have to say this is one of the few i didnt appreciate, it got a little boring as it went on but that might be down to my personal tastes :p

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
As was, I suppose, your intention, and I found what you said about your girlfriend very disrespectful; I hope she finds a man who respects her as she deserves, which may in time, be you.
Wow, he didn't say anything to deserve such a comment. He spoke the truth and you and your fanboys attack him for it? If someone isn't supposed to speak their minds on here, then why the hell are you posting videos in the first place? I find this whole thread disgusting right now.

Miss.Mayes, you especially should be ashamed of that.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
This is too easy.

Xavier78 said:
solidstatemind said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
As was, I suppose, your intention, and I found what you said about your girlfriend very disrespectful; I hope she finds a man who respects her as she deserves, which may in time, be you.
Wow, he didn't say anything to deserve such a comment. He spoke the truth and you and your fanboys attack him for it? If someone isn't supposed to speak their minds on here, then why the hell are you posting videos in the first place? I find this whole thread disgusting right now.

Miss.Mayes, you especially should be ashamed of that.
I note that you conveniently completely redacted my text- interesting choice considering that any bit of it would prove you completely wrong. Please provide one example of where I 'attacked' El Pup. Just one, outside of the 'no reading comprehension' comment that I made... which I believe was less an attack and more a valid criticism- particularly since I refuted what he claimed I said fairly thoroughly. I didn't even go spelling nazi on him. I kept my tone polite even though I strongly disagreed with his attitude of sneering derision.

Did I call him names? ... No.
Did I tell him he had no right to his opinion? ... No.
Did I tell him he was wrong? ... No.
Did I even point out the glaring strawman arguments and unfounded assumptions contained in his original post? ... No.

I simply told him that he was not making his argument any stronger by being rude, and that if he was really interested in discussing what he perceives as the decay of her work, commenting on one video probably isn't the most prudent place to detail his opinion of the entire arc of her carreer.

Both of those I still think are entirely valid points.

So, tell me again how I "attacked" him?

Or are you one of those people who view any dissention with the point of view you hold as being some sort of personal attack? Because that seems to be the only reasonable conclusion to draw, particularly when you basically are also telling the artist that she didn't even have the right to respond to his insults, or defend herself and her work. That is ridiculous and borderline irrational.

(Also, pro-tip: El Pup didn't 'speak the truth', he was stating his personally-held opinion... I have an opinion myself: El Pup seems to be a reasonably smart dude, but he needs to stop using insults when he wants to have a serious discussion, else he just looks like he's still in grade school. Both of us expressed our opinions.)

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Ne1butme said:
You dislike Sigur Ros? I have a great swell of pity for you. I'm sorry, i'm really very sorry.
You feel sorry for me because I dislike Sigur Rós? No.Just no.I'm the on that should be sorry for you.Because you do not seem to grasp that my opinion should not make you feel any different about me.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
El pup said:
I mean she thought Yahtzee lived in england at first.
"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder"
Says so under each and every Zero Punctuation video.So do a little more research,and that wall-o-text that you made could have been something that I would have taken seriously.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A little loud and dissonant for my taste near the middle, but overall I'd call that a worthwhile experiment. Laughed at the bit about the game being a ploy to cause people to forsake third-person shooters.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
War For Cybertron is actually awesome, and that is a *fact,* gentlemen. And you can't argue with facts.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
RanD00M said:
Ne1butme said:
You dislike Sigur Ros? I have a great swell of pity for you. I'm sorry, i'm really very sorry.
You feel sorry for me because I dislike Sigur Rós? No.Just no.I'm the on that should be sorry for you.Because you do not seem to grasp that my opinion should not make you feel any different about me.
That doesn't make sense. We always change how we feel about someone based on their opinions. That's how we usually establish how we feel.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Awesome! I really love that you don't stay in one genre, it makes you less predictable. In some sense they all have a familiar "Mayes" feeling to them. Different but not. Keep up the good work!

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
I didn't enjoy that 'love' song Ms. Mayes, especially after I gave you an honest three cents about my admirations of what Yahtzee does (since you asked for that from the community...you know, the message you replied to me with a thankyou about?) You seem to do the same exact thing as Yahtzee, but to a whimsical beat and yet you critisize his intention and character. You yourself negatively critique games on the whole, and pat few games or concepts on the back when they accomplish something you like (like Yahtzee on his Batman review or your guitar hero song). But rather than help a fellow contributing Escapist like you originally stated as your intention, you attack him and consider it good form to desire a reply. They have a word for that...it's called trolling. Never heard it in song form however. That song alone has soiled the idea's presented in this song for me, and I do see you off the hop in a more negative light. I don't see what gives you the right to take moral high ground in regards to the message of this song (with making peace vs war) when seemingly malitious deception is what you have recently accomplished, in a very self promoting way might I add. Was it your intentension of choosing sound wave (decepticon) as an irony to this?

Moraly this has been very dissappointing for me. My image of you as a free spirit is totally blown and now I find your actions and lyrics highly hypocritical.
(and yeah, I understand the concept of using criticism to mirror Yahtzee to possibly gain a mutual respect...but it's lost on me when regarding these larger issues presented)

Hope you take from this and understand my own animosity, and possibly other escapists, as it is my intension to convey an articulate and calm outlook of dissappointment, rather than an attack...and if not, perhaps you arent so far down the life path(s) as you may have presumed.

-Sam