Reboots you actually want?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Resident Evil. I love the franchise but it's about time. Modern setting to the zombie outbreak and lets see if we can beat the amount of crazy in a new arc!

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
ULTIMA.

For fuck's sake, I want a proper Ultima reboot.

I saw Spoony's retrospective of the series, and was immensely intrigued by the EVERYTHING. When Ultima 4 became available for free on GOG, and grabbed it like a happy child, installed it, answered the gypsy's questions...and just simply couldn't go any farther. The control scheme is just too convoluted and confusing to keep track of without a printout on hand, the UI is small and unhelpful...and the game's almost 30 years old.

I want to see this redone on a modern system like Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls (maybe the new Torment when it comes out?) Heck, I'd even settle for a Minecraft conversion mod. I just want to experience the whole thing with modern sensibilities!

Also, it would provide the chance to fix unpopular parts of the series. Namely, Ultima 9.

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
Legacy of Kain Soul reaver,Red alert 2..a working Silent Hill HD collection. Final Fantasy 3/6..Chrono trigger. Dark Corners of the Earth. That horror game for the gamecube..with the sanity meter..the name escapes me. dude basicly any game i played with a great story but clunky controls

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Legion said:
System Shock 2.

Or rather, I'd like a proper remake. One with current gen graphics (rather than just updated textures like the Halo remake) as well as better physics, but otherwise completely unchanged.

The game is still brilliant in terms of game-play, but the extremely dated graphics detract from the dark atmosphere of the title. Not to mention that it can be a pain to get working on a modern PC.
I recently purchased SS2 from GoG.com and it works great. The guys at GoG usually do a good job of making sure their games work on modern operating systems, and SS2 is no exception. It's currently at 10 bucks, and with a few mods (Rebirth and SHTUP in particular) the graphics aren't half bad.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i really want Gust to make an Ar Tonelico reboot. Ar Trilogy ended and all is left is to hit reboot. But they stuck at Atelier games, which is fine really, because i like those games too but i like Ar Tonelico so much more.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
None.

If you like something enough to want a reboot, that means the original was already quite good. Good enough.

In contrast, new audiences will immediately have a diluted experience just because there are several versions out there. You aren't watching The Spider Man movie, you're watching a spider man movie.

quentin8627

Sep 11, 2012
Theme Hospital - ALL. DAY. LONG.

My god I sunk so much time into that game back in the day. I would love to see a HD reboot with even crazier illnesses and inept(er?) staff.

Also, like others, I would be very pleased to see a new: Tenchu / Timesplitters / Medieval / Dino Crisis.

Oh and X-Com: TftD (keep the reboot going please).

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I would love to see Metroid go back to its 2D roots.
I kind of feel like a hypocrite when I say that because I didn't actually play the original Metroid games, I got in at Prime.
What? I'm too young to have played the old ones! I don't even have consoles that can play them anyway.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
No mention of Populous? That game is begging for a re-boot. Or maybe I'm the one doing the begging. But seriously, can we get a version that doesn't require Windows 95?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Final Fantasy because I never played any of them and having 15 or more games in the series is just ridiculous.
A reboot wouldn't really solve anything, though. None of the main games are connected, they're all standalone stories set in completely unrelated worlds.

Grivahri

Mar 26, 2012
-Seraph- said:
Since Assassins Creed seems to utterly refuse to take the logical next step in themed setting, ya know...a fucking Ninja game, give me a new Tenchu game instead.

Seriously, AC's free running mechanics, with some GOOD stealth mechanics and refined combat thrown in is just a perfect fit for Tenchu. And make the combat difficult too, so that it is almost discouraged because you're a god damn ninja, not a one man army slaughter machine. If you get found out and get caught up in combat, you better high tail out of there or be on your best guard because every fight could be your last.

Refined and improved AC gameplay + Tenchu/ninjas....seriously, WHY ISN'T THIS A THING YET!?
Yes, yes, YES. That would be awesome. It should be realistic like if you get caught you are completely screwed. With a good sound and light system. Everything you do generates sound that can be to your disadvantage or advantage. It should be similar to Mark of a Ninja, except it should be in 3d and with the free run mechanic. And the game should not be story driven, but gameplay driven in my opinion.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Timesplitters, of course.
And Manhunt, Condemned too...
Oh, and Army of Two!

So, was that a haiku or what!?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Spyro The Dragon: Something closer to what the originals were like.

Tenchu: Expand the levels and details, flesh out the stealth system. Make an attempt at some good AI. It would be beautiful.

Jersey Devil: I?m just dreaming of how this game could look and play with todays tech.

Loaded: Gears of war only without the tank like controls, muddy pallet and stern tone. So I guess nothing like Gears of War at all...(something tells me I am the only one who even remembers this game though)

Gex: He could the Abed of cartoon characters throwing out movie references left and right. Only this time written much better.

EDIT: Oh god! I just realised, Skylanders is the latest Spyro reboot...I'm sad now.

Sargonas42

The Doctor
Mar 25, 2010
Either X-wing, TIE Fighter, or X-wing vs. TIE Fighter could release at just about any price point under 150 as a reboot and I would pay without (much) hesitation.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Grivahri said:
-Seraph- said:
Since Assassins Creed seems to utterly refuse to take the logical next step in themed setting, ya know...a fucking Ninja game, give me a new Tenchu game instead.

Seriously, AC's free running mechanics, with some GOOD stealth mechanics and refined combat thrown in is just a perfect fit for Tenchu. And make the combat difficult too, so that it is almost discouraged because you're a god damn ninja, not a one man army slaughter machine. If you get found out and get caught up in combat, you better high tail out of there or be on your best guard because every fight could be your last.

Refined and improved AC gameplay + Tenchu/ninjas....seriously, WHY ISN'T THIS A THING YET!?
Yes, yes, YES. That would be awesome. It should be realistic like if you get caught you are completely screwed. With a good sound and light system. Everything you do generates sound that can be to your disadvantage or advantage. It should be similar to Mark of a Ninja, except it should be in 3d and with the free run mechanic. And the game should not be story driven, but gameplay driven in my opinion.
Indeed, a good lighting and sound system would go a long way towards an emphasis on stealth. Though to mix it up I'd put in some daylight missions where you have to remain low profile and go for more subtle kills with poisonings and what not. You could still rooftop if you wanted, but since it's the day you gotta be extra mindful no one sees you.

I wouldn't make the assassin completely screwed if he got caught...but if they are up against anything more than 2 or 3 foes, you better GTFO or be mindful on how you fight. I guess Demon/dark souls would be a good analogy for this. After all, you are still an assassin trained to fight and kill, dealing with 1 or 2 foes at once should be manageable.
The thing is, you shouldn't be able to take more and a few hits before you die, so every strike they land on you has a total "OH SHIT" aspect to it.

You're not Ryu Hyabusa, but you're still a trained professional killer. Being able to take out two guys in a scuffle is doable, but you're still only human.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Metroid (Prime?)--on xbox.. Hate me, Nintendo folks >:]

Never played a Metroid game, but always though it had potential, if only made by someone else than Nintendo.

Grivahri

Mar 26, 2012
-Seraph- said:
Grivahri said:
-Seraph- said:

Indeed, a good lighting and sound system would go a long way towards an emphasis on stealth. Though to mix it up I'd put in some daylight missions where you have to remain low profile and go for more subtle kills with poisonings and what not. You could still rooftop if you wanted, but since it's the day you gotta be extra mindful no one sees you.

I wouldn't make the assassin completely screwed if he got caught...but if they are up against anything more than 2 or 3 foes, you better GTFO or be mindful on how you fight. I guess Demon/dark souls would be a good analogy for this. After all, you are still an assassin trained to fight and kill, dealing with 1 or 2 foes at once should be manageable.
The thing is, you shouldn't be able to take more and a few hits before you die, so every strike they land on you has a total "OH SHIT" aspect to it.

You're not Ryu Hyabusa, but you're still a trained professional killer. Being able to take out two guys in a scuffle is doable, but you're still only human.
That's a good point. An arrow in the chest or getting stabbed by a sword kills you, however if you get good enough with the combat system you could maybe take on 2 enemies and live. However during an assassination job it is probably unwise to take enemies head on even if you can manage them, since we've established that the sound of every scream can and will be heard by nearby enemies.

It would be cool if it was an open sandbox city like in assassins creed but I think you also thought of that. I considered day time missions and found them interesting as well. I would like it if you could change clothes since a ninja suit stands out too much. I believe that is what the real ninjas did as well. It would also be fun if you would choose when to start a certain mission. If you are to infiltrate a fortress and take out someone you might want to wait until its dark. Other missions might be more suitable during daytime. It is, however, up to you.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
My dad was an avid fan of the Wizardry games and has beaten them all. I have played some of 7 and 8, but have only made the most progress in the latter. I want to see a remake of 6, 7, and 8 using an HD update of 8's engine.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Devil May Cry, cause they did, and they messed up. TRY AGAIN CAPCOM!
Resident Evil, just make the reboot and every game after it like the RE1 remake, you know the one that is literally as good as RE4 except with more...
more...

SCHERVEVAL HUUURRAWR?! I think thats what the kids call it these days.