Recurring themes in your dreams

Yamaganto Iori

Oct 16, 2011
For some reason my dreams always feature something that i hate in a positive light, like recently i had a dream about this girl who i hate and who hates me but for some reason we were a couple in my dream even though in real life we cant stand one another.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
My dreams seem to have an aesthetic that matches their content...some of the time, anyway. Sometimes I dream in different animation styles, but in those ones I'm usually watching stuff happen to other people and "physically" detached from the action. Sometimes I have 1st person dreams, which are usually more realistically styled. These are either the most fun (being a starship captain, like in Star Trek. Awesome) or the most agonizingly awful (I had one dream in which I was locked in a box-like cell that was too small for me to even sit up or lie down straight in, for something on the order of 3 months, somehow with no food and very little water).

Confinement and lack of agency seem to be a common themes in my nightmares. I'll be imprisoned in very inhumane conditions for little reason, and the worst part is that I tend to submit to authority instead of getting the hell out of wherever I am. Maybe I'm secretly claustrophobic.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Not remembering them.

Appropriately, most of the nightmares I have (and actually remember) involve forgetting important things I have to do the next day.

Jan 27, 2011
I have several.

When scared my feet slide and won't let me run away, and I cannot get the enemy/indistinct-shadowy-thing to let go if it grabs me.

Random video game elements, up to and including bionic grappling hook arms that have shock prods. :p

I also cannot bring harm to anyone in my dreams. I can stun them or knock them out non-lethally, and I CAN kill them if I take them out in one blow that makes them vanish. But actually harming them is VERY hard to do. I one STABBED a burglar in a dream, right int he gut. He then just looked at me with a VERY evil "I'mma gonna kill you slowly" look and started walking slowly towards me as I backed away. (Somehow zombies are immune to the whole "can't cause harm" thing. I killed a BUNCH of those a few weeks back. With a rusty pipe.)

Also, if I go looking in the nooks and crannies of my dream worlds...I will often run into stuff from my darkest nightmares, and then the dream goes to hell really really fast.

Jan 27, 2011
torno said:
I can't run in my dreams. Doesn't matter what dream, I just can't run, no matter how hard I try. I could be running toward something, I could be running for my life, doesn't matter, my subconscience simply will not allow me to run as fast as I can in real life. Maybe it's my subconscience's way of saying that I'm limiting myself in some way, I don't know. In any case, I hate it.
Protip. Recognize that as a very common dream sign. Then you can become lucid (aware that you're dreaming), and you can change things. At the very least, you should try to make it cross your mind to either fly, hover, or use some kind of grappling mechanic to get around. That used to be a HUGE problem for me. I'm getting much better at it, and I rarely find myself running in place anymore.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
I seem to dream of water in various forms fairly often. Usually one of my night's dreams includes something pony-related. I have a dream-school, a combination of the four schools I've gone to, that crops up fairly often (so much that I've basically memorized the layout, which makes it appear even more often).

Also, I tend to have really cinematic dreams. Just the other day I had this really spectacular one about a renaissance city that I'd gotten lost in (with twisting storylines and what not entwined throughout the course of the dream).

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I constantly don't remember them. Probably has something to do with not sleeping long enough.

Those that I do remember, tend to have metaphors for something I've been thinking about, shown literally. I've said this a number of times, but Metroid Other M gave me the worst nightmare I've ever had. Samus was literally being tortured in front of me and there was nothing I could do about it. I still hate thinking about it.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
aegix drakan said:
torno said:
I can't run in my dreams. Doesn't matter what dream, I just can't run, no matter how hard I try. I could be running toward something, I could be running for my life, doesn't matter, my subconscience simply will not allow me to run as fast as I can in real life. Maybe it's my subconscience's way of saying that I'm limiting myself in some way, I don't know. In any case, I hate it.
Protip. Recognize that as a very common dream sign. Then you can become lucid (aware that you're dreaming), and you can change things. At the very least, you should try to make it cross your mind to either fly, hover, or use some kind of grappling mechanic to get around. That used to be a HUGE problem for me. I'm getting much better at it, and I rarely find myself running in place anymore.
I've always wanted to be able to do that in dreams, but no matter what I can never seem to grasp the concept I'm in a dream, there's always something at the back of my mind saying "this isn't real" but not strongly enough to be able to control anything. Any advice on how I can work on that?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Rin Little said:
aegix drakan said:
torno said:
I've always wanted to be able to do that in dreams, but no matter what I can never seem to grasp the concept I'm in a dream, there's always something at the back of my mind saying "this isn't real" but not strongly enough to be able to control anything. Any advice on how I can work on that?
Exactly. I thought it was more accurate to describe not as the dream feeling real, just that I simply forgot what reality was while in a dream.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010

They've gotten really sexual lately... A lot of romance involved.

Is there a therapist in the house?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
torno said:
This.
i can never run, and when i run i go slower than when i walk.
also, i always dream i'm in the city, rarely i dream with nature...

oh and when i go into dark places i ALWAYS start having nightmares,i try to avoid them but most of the time i'm surrounded by darkness.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
Me being killed. Me killing people. Giant, evil, re-imaginings of fairy tale characters killing me. A giant, evil, snake-bodied Snow White killed me once. Scary as hell.
Torture. There's usually torture.
Also, being chased. By dogs, or people who want to kill me. I'm chased often, and it usually ends in me being cornered then killed.
Ya... I don't ever have good dreams. They are always horrible and frightening.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
[HEADING=2]Dream group on the Escapist![/HEADING] [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Dreamer-Society]

Ahem.

I frequently have dreams where my actions have screwed up the lives of family and friends. Also those staircases that go up in squares in apartments? I tend to fall down those in my dreams from time to time...

Shadow10hunter

Feb 17, 2011
I don't really remember my dreams, and the ones I do are all nightmares, most about so sort of twisted version of my life that makes me REALLY freaked out. Also tip for people wanting more control in their dreams: I've never tried this, but you're supposed to do reality checks during the day every now and then, and then when you are sleeping I'm guessing this will make you do the same thing and realize you are in a dream, and then take control of said dream. Dono if it works, but several people ave told it to me. Personally I like not having control in my dreams...

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Drowning, my number 1 greatest fear, has a tendency to come up.

random ways of getting killed sometimes resulting in a game over screen which is weird. Such as walking out of a teepee and getting shot in the heart with an arrow causing the Goldeneye death screen to come up.

If I play too much of a game I dream of either going through life with the functions of the game now somehow are accepted physics of the world or I am actually in the game which can be fun at times.

Sometimes I end up in a fight or in danger and I seem to lose all strength that I have and cannot say a word.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
In my dreams, I usually hold professions that I could never hold (dentist, private investigator, etc.)
They also frequently feature surviving things that I really shouldn't.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I don't usually remember any of my dreams once I wake up, either that or I'm damn good at blocking them out.

But the two I remember avidly are falling from a 4 story building that was shaking so bad the balconies crumbled. And being tortured at my (old) house before burning alive there because my torturer decided he had had enough.

So now I'm afraid of heights and restraints. Great huh?

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
l3o2828 said:
torno said:
This.
i can never run, and when i run i go slower than when i walk.
also, i always dream i'm in the city, rarely i dream with nature...

oh and when i go into dark places i ALWAYS start having nightmares,i try to avoid them but most of the time i'm surrounded by darkness.
Do you mean when you go into a dark are while in the dream or being in a dark area in real life before going to sleep. Because if the former that is actually very interesting though both would suck.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
fast approaching futuristic airliners...like airliners flying over my head crashing into suburbs in the distsance...last night i was at a friends backyard and a bunch of planes were spinning out of controll above us. the a police car flew past our head and the policemen waved...and then two dogs fell out of the police car,and then a flying cow fly's past and i wake up

can anyone interperate that?