Referee Decapitated After Stabbing Player

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
It's amazing how some people can draw the line only at the point they start the dismemberment... If you're not going to go all the way then why get started...?

Annnyway, I'm thinking that stabbing players is somewhat outside the general duties, of the referee. Seems unjustifiable to threaten someone's life and everything just because they won't stay out of your face. Don't refs get paid to deal with that? Probably not nearly enough but still...

Sports... How the crowd thought any of this was acceptable behaviour is far more disturbing than dismemberment. The fact the ref felt the need to brandish a deadly weapon in order to hold his own ground. Kind of defeats the point of being a ref... And sports really. Why not just dispense with the pleasantries and declare open warfare.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I think I just got interested in football! Brb gonna watch a match.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
That's errr... boy, and it seems like this type of stuff only happens in soccer. I mean, hockey may have high speed contact and fistfights are practically an integral part of the professional scene, but there it's always good-natured, no hurt feelings in the end. Soccer's the one that has people flipping out over a yellow card and crying every time they get tripped. Some people need to learn sportsmanship.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
SirPlindington said:
That, uh, I... words... Umm... Hrm.

I third this motion.
I'll raise you this

OT: My neighbour went to South America last month and they thought he was batshit insane because he has 2 pet cats. They consider them on par with vermin or rats.
I thought THAT was crazy.

This is mental, all of it. I can't believe people can still be so barbaric in this day and age. I really hope these people feel the worst of the law.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Campaigner said:
MAN! Crazy people! I think this is just mindblowingly awesome! Those Brazilians sure got BALLS! THAT'S for certain!

I totally understand his friends and relatives anger and fully support their revenge on the refeere. Paying back in the same currency with interest (head on a pike!).

Just awesome! :)
What are you, like fifteen? There is no justification for what these people did; you'd have to be incredibly immature or a sociopath to think otherwise. Kill for vengeance, yeah fair enough I can empathise with that, but the way they did it goes beyond revenge and into fucking Jigsaw territory.

Besides, do we know what the player said to merit the stabbing? How do you know he didn't threaten to harm the ref's family/loved ones? Even crazy people normally need to have the right buttons pushed to go from 'leave the pitch' to 'I am stabbing you to death'.

See how quickly things can spiral out of control when we torture and decapitate first, then ask questions later?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
ClockworkAngel said:
I don't get why sports drives people to such frenzied levels. With the riots and the property damage and the .. decapitating.
Again. The riots have nothing to do with football, really. It's old social issues, and the fact that the government seem to happily spunk ridiculous amounts of dosh on football rather than medicine and education was one of the last straws. No wonder people were cross.

The slums and favellas are violent, horrible places, and that tend to lead to violent, horrible acts. There is a reason it was the marine corps (I believe) rather than the police that carried out a pre-emptive mopping up in some areas of Rio de Janeiro.
I don't know in which sort of neighbourhood this happened. But it'd be reasonable to assume that it was a less than pleasant one. This sort of things wouldn't have happened in a better enviroment. It's a symptom of much bigger problems, rather than a case of fanatical sports devotion (another bad thing in and off itself, naturally).

It's a brutal, barbaric incident, one that should not happen. But there's a bigger picture to it, rather than football fans being savages.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
ClockworkAngel said:
I don't get why sports drives people to such frenzied levels. With the riots and the property damage and the .. decapitating.
I wouldn't lump all sports fans in with groups such as these. Of course you never here about the law-abiding majority of sports fans because that's not really news now is it.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Um... Uh... Wut?

Right, so a ref going batshit and stabbing a player to death is bad, but seriously there's a justice system for a reason and it's no excuse for such a tremendous backlash. Not sure why the death of a player would cause THAT much of a riot, are hardcore football fans really just that crazy?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Did Dethklok play during the half-time show or something? And whilst it is bad that someone was stoned to death, decapitated and had their head introduced to some prime pike real estate, why the hell did he have a machete during the match?

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
2HF said:
The number of people in this thread who don't mind the full on murder of a live human being but are appalled by what is done to a corpse is astonishing and depressing. You're priorities are unbelievably out of whack. Much like the mothers who would come into Gamestop and want to buy their kids GTA or Saints Row. I'd read them the list of content and they'd shrug at drug use and graphic violence but god forbid little Tommy see a tit. That shit's crossing the line.
Its actually not about the ultimate outcome, but about what that outcome says about the people involved. Most people can imagine murdering someone in a fit of rage, or our of self defense. They probably would not and will never have to, but they can see it. When you get to mutilating the body is when people don't see themselves ever crossing that line. Therefore the people who did it must be sick. It shows not just killing a person because they hurt you and you just want them gone, but that you're enjoying the murder and you're using their life to send a message. That message is that you enjoy killing and you will do so again if somebody cross the line. Of course a person being dead is much much worse than the mutation of a body, but it takes a much worse person or group of people to kill someone than put their head on a pike.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Legion said:
As for why they went crazy, I suspect a part of it was social tension, from what I have heard that is quite common (it's the kind of thing that also leads to rioting) and I suspect mob mentality played a part of it as well. In the same way that in the past many decent people have stood by an watched atrocities committed (Nazi Germany for example) which they would not normally find acceptable.

I suspect that those who knew the person "saw red" and the rest went along with it, and as more people got involved, it became a frenzy, and at that point logic doesn't really play any part it's all instinct.
I really don't know. I am not questioning your arguments, mind you, but the more I think about what happened is described in this article, the less sense the whole story makes.

For example: The referee is said to have carried a "machete-like knife" during the game. Maybe in that place referees are allowed to wear long trenchcoats and corpsepaint, but all the refs I know don't carry large knives to their games and don't exactly have the space to hide them.

Then there is this idea that the friends and relatives stormed the field, tortured and kept the guy there for several minutes. (They went over the edge when they heared that the player died on his way to the hospital, meaning that enough time passed for the ambulance to be called and him to be moved). And during all this time nobody in the stadium had the presence of mind to call the cops about the Family going berserk on the ref?

While Nazi-Germany is a good example for the passiveness of crowds when faced with Horrors, the Nazis didn't just start committing atrocities one day. The people's tolerance for that was the result of a slow process of dehumanization and manipulation, topped of by the state of war. I don't really think the two scenarios compare well in the details.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

People ask me why I have no sympathies for people who turn violent in times of political unrest... this is the most horrifically perfect example of why I think they deserve the shit they're in.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
South America tends to get a bit batshit fucking crazy when it comes to football. It's not a regular match over there unless a bunch of rioting fans storm the field.

This is one hell of a new low though.

The fact that the referee had a knife and people in the public had the means to quater and decapitate someone just goes to show what kind of mentallity rages there.
I agree with the mentality being a massive issue. My countrymen seem to have a poor reputation when it comes to sports abroad, but this takes the cake.

One thing I don't get about your comment though, why is it surprising the ref had a knife?

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
That's ridiculously savage. And these people want to host the world cup? Good fucking luck.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Weird, I'm from Brazil and didn't even heard of it.

It's some small city middle of nowhere so it possibly didn't make more than local news, yet somehow went international for happening in a football "event". Stuff like that usually turn out to be gang or drugs related (the stabbing) and then the "crowd" took revenge for the stabbed kid in rage.

Most likely the "crowd" is just the other players and maybe a third team-count of players waiting for their time in the court, people hanging out in nearby bars and local residents that went out to see what was going on, yet the actual doers of the stuff would possibly be just a half-dozen other troubled kids.

Also certainly the police could have gotten there and stopped it all, most likely they were around and just "let it happen". It means the supposed "referee" guy was possibly a well-know troublesome gangta-type in the small city, with possible many crimes they could not prove but everyody was aware of (I can only imagine how bad and slow the law can be in such a place), and so must the city be one with common puplic security problems and many others of his kind. So given the situation they had this momentum against him (i.e. locked down, outnumbered, proven to not be carrying a gun...) they just took this revenge, the police close their eyes, and the crowd went further with "leaving a message" to the others.

Weird indeed, but yeah, certainly everything had a long term meaning to it.

Maybe the guy wasn't even a choosen referee, just tried to force himself into the court to play "power" (I think gangster-types call it "respect"... sigh) and to avoid problems (yeah...) the kids submissed to it, until he wanted to expulse the kid and the kid didn't accept it (most likely it was just bullshit from him to), and then it turned out to be worse.

EDIT:

The above just a guess, because I looked up the font and the websites of the two local newspapers and couldn't find anything about the happening (small local newspapers love violent news), but now found other outlets that reported the fact, it's seems it was some kind of "amateur match" (no details). It's also reported that the threw the knife and it hit the player's chest.

Also, Pio XII is not a stadium (thou I already doubt could eveer bad more than a puplic court) in Santa Inês city (78k inhabitants), but another city instead (22k inhabitants as of 2010, US$50k GDP), and what happened is that it's the police from Santa Inês that dealt with the crimes (possible the closest city with an actual police department).

And actually there seems to be a "stadium" in the city, with a yearly tournament (1st place: US$600, 2nd place: US$300), with uniforms and all which means of course there's a referee, according to this blog: http://blogdepedrolopes23.blogspot.com.br/2010/03/comecou-o-campeonato-de-pio-xii.html

But according to the same blogger it was a "pelada" (random play on public court) and took place in the rural zone of the city: http://blogdepedrolopes23.blogspot.com.br/2013/07/vergonha-por-gilcenio-vieira.html