Referee Decapitated After Stabbing Player

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/17899996/football-match-ends-in-referee-being-decapitated/latest/1367205175532-c2e5283e-3e88-47a0-8bf2-c9ccc9b21262/

So, yeah, article says it all. After referee Octavio da Silva Catanhede Jordan gave a red card to Josenir dos Santos Abreu and Josenir reacting to it by refusing to leave the field and verbally berating Octavio, the ref stabbed Josenir with a large knife multiple times. Upon being declared dead on arrival when taken to a local hospital, the ref was then stoned to death, quartered, decapitated and his head pierced on top of a stake. All of this happened on the playing field.

Now, I've seen hockey games where boxing matches broke out, baseball games where wrestling matches broke out and football games where sumo dancing broke out...but this is definitely one of the most bizarre things to happen in all of sports. Your thoughts, funny memes and/or Nathan Fillion gifs?

Also, inb4 weird soccer violence.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Heard about this the other day.

Seriously, fucked up on pretty much every level.

The stabbing I can understand. I can understand the crowd turning on him. I can even understand the crowd killing him. But decapitation, complete with placing his head on a pike? What. The. Hell.

I mean, there's violence, but THIS is something else altogether. I really just goes to show you, despite how civilized our society has become (or at least pretends to be), we're still savage creatures sometimes.

EDIT: I want to stress, even though I UNDERSTAND the violence, I don't condone it. Whew.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Remember, Billy: it's not whether you win or lose, it's how closely you mirror the behaviors of Vlad the Impaler.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
How barbaric, Guys! we aren't living in the middle ages any more!

The fact he was tortured before makes it even more sickening.

Overwhelming the referee and just handing him over to the police would have sufficed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
South America tends to get a bit batshit fucking crazy when it comes to football. It's not a regular match over there unless a bunch of rioting fans storm the field.

This is one hell of a new low though.

The fact that the referee had a knife and people in the public had the means to quater and decapitate someone just goes to show what kind of mentallity rages there.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
ShiningAmber said:
And this is why I dislike sports.
I suppose you also dislike all music because of this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Norwegian_black_metal_scene], then?

Sure, this is fucked up beyond all reason, but most sports fans are perfectly normal people in my experience. Hell, my dad's one, and he's not killed anyone yet.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Jesus! This is why I think crazy sports fans should be restrained. Or at least tazed a few times.

Fuckin' nutters ruing things for everyone else...

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Sadly it didn't surprise me as much as it should, there seem to be a lot of riots going on in Brazil recently. But the fact that they would go so far as to torture and decapitate a ref is shocking. It doesn't help that the world cup and the next summer Olympics will be in Brazil so I hope they get much better security during that time.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
This is so fucked up. I mean, seriously, WHAT FUCKING CENTURY do we live in for some sick shit like that to happen?!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
ShiningAmber said:
Not sure if serious.

This is medieval times shit, wtf is wrong with Brazil?

What was the ref doing with a knife first of all. Second, why did he think it was a good idea to stab a player?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
On the one hand, I want to say "What the fuck is wrong with people?"

On the other hand, I want to say "Meh. Sad about the player though."

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Erm... where they playing that old south american version of football where the losing team is killed? Seriously though WHAT THE HELL?!

ShiningAmber said:
Yes because without sports the world would not have any violence in it at all, just like if we got rid of videogames, music and books./scarcasm

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Hades said:
How barbaric, Guys! we aren't living in the middle ages any more!
Yeah...but it's South America.

The stories I've heard from people from those parts of the world...yeesh!

:/

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
staika said:
Sadly it didn't surprise me as much as it should, there seem to be a lot of riots going on in Brazil recently. But the fact that they would go so far as to torture and decapitate a ref is shocking. It doesn't help that the world cup and the next summer Olympics will be in Brazil so I hope they get much better security during that time.
Just like the riots, this is likely a symptom of much larger problems and unrest in society. The Olympic security solution doesn't seem likely to solve that, only temporarily until the TV crews have gone home again. Hell, the world cup was one of the last straws that led to the riots, and it's not exactly surprising. Seeing the government spunk away ridiculous amounts of money on new stadiums and preparations for the world cup, while ignoring you. It doesn't matter how much anyone loves football, they'd still want education, medicine and safety more.

Hard times can make small causes lead to horrid levels of violence, after all.

EDIT: TL:DR? Well, riots happen for a reason, and people getting killed in needlessly savage ways over small causes is a symptom of a much larger social problem.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Jesus. It's one thing to kill the guy for stabbing a player to death but to mount his head on a pike? That's just barbaric.

Campaigner

Mar 29, 2009
MAN! Crazy people! I think this is just mindblowingly awesome! Those Brazilians sure got BALLS! THAT'S for certain!

I totally understand his friends and relatives anger and fully support their revenge on the refeere. Paying back in the same currency with interest (head on a pike!).

Just awesome! :)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The referee stabbed a player to death for no reason, which means it shouldn't be surprising that the friends and family witnessing it might be willing to kill him in return. I suspect many people would also attack somebody for killing their innocent friend or family member.

But to decapitate, quarter and mount the head on a spike... that is just wrong on far too many levels.

Then again, as much as people like to pretend otherwise, we are still animals, and animals do this kind of thing all of the time. Obviously that does not make it okay in the slightest, and they deserve whatever punishment they get, but it shouldn't be all that surprising that people are capable of such brutality, and it certainly isn't a regional thing or relevant to sports.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Campaigner said:
MAN! Crazy people! I think this is just mindblowingly awesome! Those Brazilians sure got BALLS! THAT'S for certain!

I totally understand his friends and relatives anger and fully support their revenge on the refeere. Paying back in the same currency with interest (head on a pike!).

Just awesome! :)
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm not for violence but if someone brutally stabs my friend/family in front of me, I would have no trouble decapitating that person.