Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

Remember Me is pretty forgettable.

Read Full Article

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
What a wasted opportunity....

I actually wanted to buy it, because the concept looked interesting and I like female protagonists as well. But after having watched a few gameplay videos I was concerned that the game could be repetitive and boring. Well it looks like the concerns were justified.

No buy from me and one more game after which publishers are probably going to say that female protagonists aren't working.....

Of course it's never the game itself....

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Damn.

When I first saw this game, it kind of made me excited. The concept seemed solid, and the story was intriguing. Oh well...

When a game is just 'meh,' I can shrug and move on. When a game has potential that it wastes, I become very sad.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I thought it looked kinda meh. Shame, barely any games out there with a playable female protag. We could use a killer app for that. This'll just convince more people that games sell poorly with female main characters. As supposed to the game, you know, just sucking.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sadly, this sounds like it runs into exactly the issues it looked like it was going to. Great setting and concept brought down by uninspired on rails gameplay choices. I really really wanted this game to turn out better than it sounds like it did. :( Oh well, maybe once it hits the bargain bin...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
This is one of those games that I knew I'd have to wait and see closer to the time. Will prob pick it up when it's cheap, but for now, I have plenty to play.

Slycne said:
Remember Me is pretty forgettable.

Seems like a really fair and honest review, was hoping this would do better then it seems to. Sad really, the premise interested me a lot.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shame.

It had some interesting ideas, so I was kind of hoping it would turn out decent. Of course, all the indicators were pointing at average, but still...

Oh, and as others have said, it will probably be chalked up as another case of a game failing because the main character comes with ovaries.

I'll probably pick it up for cheap at some point anyway.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
ritchards said:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.
The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
So this game isn't great, brilliant or perfect? So what? It has an interesting concept and setting, seems to play well enough and has a protagonist that isn't a 6 foot tall beefcake.

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb and buy this. I'm always up for supporting new IPs and devs that actually try to defy the normal template of most triple A games. To write it off as rubbish before I've even played it personally would be disingenuous and ultimately harmful to the industry as a whole. Look at Mirror's Edge, it had a ton of problems and objectively it wasn't a great game by any means but there are plenty of people excited for the sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate reviews and I trust the Escapist's collective opinions but some things I have to experience myself.

Aug 31, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.

And on top of that, why does the sen-sen make everyone turn into a junkie? Its like those strange prohibition propaganda where alcohol will cause everyone to be an alcoholic and society will collapse.
I'm guessing it would be useful for implanting knowledge. An increasingly complex technology base is going to require longer and longer study times in order to create and maintain. Zap. You just learned how to do it in a few seconds. It's probably a lot cheaper than going to university for an engineering degree. Of course I have no idea if that's how the process works in the game universe, but it's an answer.

As for the second, no idea.

OT: Style over substance eh? Very cyberpunk.

Dec 14, 2009
I feared this would happen D:

It's a shame, because the game looks really pretty. Shame there's no substance there.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Yuuki said:
ritchards said:
The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /
It really was part of that due to her gender and the devs being all like "we were fighting for our female protag!" Sure sure your really progressive except when it comes to gameplay ideas.lol

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
I don't understand the logic in the story.

If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.
Well, obviously you never tried drinking away bad memories.
childhood trauma's and PTSD can not be taken away with drugs and alcohol, it sticks with you, probably, forever, the best you could do is try to deal with it, which is why the army employs entire battalions worth of psychiatrists.
(or oughta anyway)

but, what if you could actually take those horrors away? they could be valuable experiences but what if they're more trouble than they're worth?
what about rape victims? abused children? if given the choice, would you rather have it removed, or go into therapy.

another one the trailer mentioned was "world wide empathy", what if you could, instead of argueing your case, let someone else experience your perspective on things? let them know exactly why you feel the way you do.
imagine, a world without friendzone threads!

shame the game turned out this way, I'll pick it up when the price goes down, methinks.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I'm going to buy it with the Steam sales. I love Sci Fi settings and the idea sounded good enough. And we definitely need more games with female protagists.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i thought as much that its not going to be a great game but at least an enjoyable one. im still looking forward to it since i have made my pre order. good to hear its not a terrible game.