Remember Me Review - Sadly Forgettable

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
Sonic Doctor said:
Yuuki said:
ritchards said:
The problem I can see is that any failure of this game will be trumpeted by some as a failure due to playing a female protagonist.
The problem I can see here is that it was REALLY over-hyped for some reason.

Anyone going into a game with such expectations is bound to be let down : /
That's the problem, everything I saw on the game was just a group of articles and videos that talked about the whole the publisher wanted to force the developers to make the protagonist male debacle, with only very small bits on what the game was about.

So basically, I feel all the hype was based around the fact the protagonist is female.

People think, "interesting premise plus finally getting another female protagonist that looks reasonable, it must be an amazing game."

In a way, yes the protagonist being female plays a part in the failure, but not by point that the protagonist being female was bad, just that the fact that her being female created so much hype that many people ignored all the other important points on what makes a good game. Justin mentioned that a key problem was the game play. Of course, that is one of the most important parts of any proper game.
Yeah, basicly now the game is tagged as "disapointing" because it just isnt as good as everyone was thinking it would be (just because it has a female protagonist doesnt instantly make a game good and everyone including the marketing and the consumers forgot that regarding to this game), and "disapointing" is a worse tag then "ok game", games like Wet and Velvet Assassin hold the "ok game" tag nicely.

If anyone is to blame its the marketing for putting so much emphasis on "We have a female protagonist" and the media for claiming it to be enough for a good game.
 

1337mokro

New member
Dec 24, 2008
1,503
0
0
I'm still gonna take the leap. The reviews says it's average in the stars and disappointing in the text. The fact it's disappointing to the reviewer is not really an indication of quality but if it met their expectations. It could be allot worse than that, the game disappointing, it didn't insult. Maybe I will find something to enjoy in it. My opinion of games doesn't always align with reviews so I might really like this game.

GMG is still selling it relatively cheap so "Why Not?" at 8 hours it is perfect to fit in between my lectures.

If it sucks hard I can always use trusty mister Alcohol to wipe my memory.
 

WanderingFool

New member
Apr 9, 2009
3,991
0
0
Ultratwinkie said:
I don't understand the logic in the story.

If a sen-sen can get hacked, why did everyone adopt it in the first place? Memory changing? Drugs and alcohol do that just fine, why does that warrant an expensive surgery? Hell, even people in Ghost in the Shell didn't all get cyber brains.
Yeah, seriously. There has to a liberal amount of stupid being peppered through this setting for that to seem like an acceptable risk.

As a side note, every time I hear someone say some futuristic city name like "Neo-Paris" I immediately think of the robotic ghost of Christmas future from Aqua Teen and "Robo-France 29 in the year 9595." Might as well get him to narrate it too.
Probably would have made the game more memorable...
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
So 7/10's aren't worth peoples' time anymore?

I get that being "middle of the road" is more boring than being Portal levels of awesome or Deadly Premonition levels of weirdly budgeted, but if nothing about the game is outright bad aside from the fact that it might be repetitive (which all games are, even if some of them do slightly better jobs of masking it than others), then what's so hard to recommend? Everyone's getting all crestfallen because it's an interesting premise with an average execution? Buy/rent it yourself, maybe you'll love it, you don't know.

Anyway, I'll probably still check it out when I've got more space on my hard drive. Crushing linearity and repetitive combat don't really bother me; I liked Space Marine and I've been really enjoying Of Orcs and Men.
 

Rednog

New member
Nov 3, 2008
3,567
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
So 7/10's aren't worth peoples' time anymore?

I get that being "middle of the road" is more boring than being Portal levels of awesome or Deadly Premonition levels of weirdly budgeted, but if nothing about the game is outright bad aside from the fact that it might be repetitive (which all games are, even if some of them do slightly better jobs of masking it than others), then what's so hard to recommend? Everyone's getting all crestfallen because it's an interesting premise with an average execution? Buy/rent it yourself, maybe you'll love it, you don't know.

Anyway, I'll probably still check it out when I've got more space on my hard drive. Crushing linearity and repetitive combat don't really bother me; I liked Space Marine and I've been really enjoying Of Orcs and Men.
Err, it's a 6/10; 3 out of 5 stars doesn't end up being 7/10.
And considering the trend that gaming scores have been on for quite a while (I usually view it like a grading school system) a 6/10 is usually a sign of this isn't worth your time and falls below par.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Rednog said:
shrekfan246 said:
So 7/10's aren't worth peoples' time anymore?

I get that being "middle of the road" is more boring than being Portal levels of awesome or Deadly Premonition levels of weirdly budgeted, but if nothing about the game is outright bad aside from the fact that it might be repetitive (which all games are, even if some of them do slightly better jobs of masking it than others), then what's so hard to recommend? Everyone's getting all crestfallen because it's an interesting premise with an average execution? Buy/rent it yourself, maybe you'll love it, you don't know.

Anyway, I'll probably still check it out when I've got more space on my hard drive. Crushing linearity and repetitive combat don't really bother me; I liked Space Marine and I've been really enjoying Of Orcs and Men.
Err, it's a 6/10; 3 out of 5 stars doesn't end up being 7/10.
And considering the trend that gaming scores have been on for quite a while (I usually view it like a grading school system) a 6/10 is usually a sign of this isn't worth your time and falls below par.
I was going by the average, not the specific Escapist review. Because, you know, I don't use one singular opinion to shape my own opinion on something I haven't tried.

And the trend for gaming scores is, if you'll pardon my language, fucking stupid. There's no reason people should only buy games in the top three scoring ranges, and that's why it's shifted so high in the first place. Every game scores between 7-9 these days unless it's Aliens: Colonial Marines levels of bad, because it's the only way people won't write them off immediately as not being worth it, and now people have started writing off 7's as well. Fantastic.

Unless it makes huge stumbles by making the combat tedious a la Dragon Age II with wave-spawning, at eight hours it shouldn't be long enough that it outstays its welcome. Though I guess I'm also one of the few people who doesn't immediately think something sucks if it doesn't let you explore.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
Am I among the few her that first thought 'Yeah, this game isn't as as good as they want so lets make some artificial hype' when they claimed (or made up for all we know) that the game wouldn't be published if it didn't have a male protagonist?
 

loa

New member
Jan 28, 2012
1,716
0
0
Why create this intricate settings if all you do is beat up dudes in yet another power fantasy?
How does a great ability in memory manipulation also entail a great ability in physical combat??
This could've been another psychonauts but alas...
 

LAGG

New member
Jun 23, 2011
281
0
0
Dragonbums said:
The thing that will be upsetting about this game is that everyone will criticize it for the plot, yet the suits in the game industry will twist it and say it failed because it had a female protagonist.
This is coupled by the fact that there was hardly any advertising for it.
Seriously, how many people would've known about this game if it wasn't for the controversy around the dev team almost being forced to change the gender of the main protagonist? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong sites, but I haven't seen so much as a flash advertisement for it. Heck, even I didn't know the name of the game until I had to look up the controversy behind the gender of the protagonist.

On that it's a shame really. I really REALLY like the design of the protagonist. Props to the design team for that.
The plot seems nice actually, the character too, and the the setting seems awesome.
Only the game seems very boring.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
Warframe has been taking up my time since it was released on steam not to long ago. It's averaging 7/10

It's clunky. It's a beta. Nothing really was explained. I had to suss a lot out via the wiki. The power system is hard to use (you have no idea if you're near enough to use a power, or why if the cursor is on a foe it will say 'invalid target')

But I love it. Great views, it gets closer to giving me the freedom of being a Super Space Ninja with powers. It is good.
 

Wolfram23

New member
Mar 23, 2004
4,095
0
0
I find it slightly irksome that Batman: AA gets the credit for smooth flowing combat. My first memory of that sort of super smooth, context sensitive type combat was back in 2004, PoP: Warrior Within. Not sure about Sands of Time in 03, as I didn't play that. There's probably other contenders too, but at the least it was around 5 years before Batman.
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,398
0
0
Vault Citizen said:
I just hope that if this game doesn't do well it isn't used as an excuse not to have female leads in games.
Me too - having followed this one for a while, worrying this would end up sucking. It just adds to the pile of naff female protagonist games that has been steadily accumulating over the years (Velvet Assassin, Wet, Hydrophobia etc.), which feels extra damaging when there are so few female led games to begin with.

What I think might be happening is that ambitious, but unimaginative devs feel the need to address the issue of there being not enough female protagonists, but don't really know how to do so beyond making bland 20-something action girls. At least when game designers restrict themselves to males, they realise you have to do something original to make their protagonist different from the standard, gruff space marines. If you aren't imaginative enough to make anything beyond a !strong !independant !female, you probably aren't going to much else right either.
 

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
1,862
0
0
I thought this looked painfully mediocre from the moment I first saw anything about it. Too bad, as the environment design did impress me. Seems like a waste.

At least now game developers will realize that you just CAN'T have female leads in games. :p
 

Random Argument Man

New member
May 21, 2008
6,011
0
0
AH! That title!

It's sad that it's a forgettable game. I foresee that Capcom will use its excuse "Female leads don't sell video games" to justify the sales if they're poor. It's never "We made a bad game".

Aaahhh...sad.
 

Gearhead mk2

New member
Aug 1, 2011
19,999
0
0
I still might buy this, if only to say "screw you" to those execs that insist games led by girls don't sell.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
I feel this game would have been better if altering people's memories had a greater effect on the story. For example if you hacked an enemy you could chose to brainwash they so they'll protect you or make them suicidal so they'll blow themselves up in the control room.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
SecondPrize said:
How's the combat if you don't cheese it with the combo system?
Still repetitive and boring. The only difference is that it takes longer.

Gearhead mk2 said:
I still might buy this, if only to say "screw you" to those execs that insist games led by girls don't sell.
All that will do is tell execs that no matter how bad a game is if the protagonist if female someone will be buy it for ideological reasons. So all they'll do is add female protagonists to all their poorly made games and reserve male characters for the good games.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
The first demo was Arkham-style fighting, some extremely linear platforming and a helicopter gunship chase. And terrible writing and acting. I never really understood what anyone was excited by.

dumbseizure said:
I don't understand why so many people are writing the game off, I would rather experience it for myself then listen to someone else say whether its good or bad, but meh.
Probably because it looks dull and uninteresting and it is now being described as dull and uninteresting. Shocking that people wouldn't then want to spend money on it.