Remove one game from existence

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
Inb4 Mass Effect 3

OT: Pretty much the game that made brown linear shooters popular. No idea what it is but that one.
Damn. Several posts too late. Anyhow. Kill....Uh.. kill. Guild Wars. Why? Because I'd have a good laugh.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Duke Nukem Forever, I had more fun making jokes about it never releasing than I did playing the game.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
Defense of the Ancients

Everyone would've gone to ToB for their AoS fix during WC3... and the genre would now include all the innovations there-in.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:
I'm going to be 'that guy' and say nothing. Removing a game from existence just because I didn't like it is incredibly selfish. I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoyed whatever game it is that you want to remove, you'd be stealing that from them too.
Well said, sir! Seems like CoD is the game that gets targeted most often for this sort of thread. But apparently there are a great many people who enjoy it. Yet in spite of (dare I say, because of?) that success, there are still wonderful, different, innovative games out there to enjoy.

Live and let live! Play and let be played...or something like that.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
excalipoor said:
I would've said nothing, but I'm feeling bitter about the success Rovio has gained by taking old ideas and slapping funny visuals on them, so Angry Birds it is.
I second this one. Theme parks are being created after this game. Then there is all the merchandise and a tv show is even planned. That is a bit too much for a cell phone game.

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
I have to say Call of Duty 4.

The previous games (especially CoD 2) were great. CoD 4 was even better...

Too bad it not only created the most (in my opinion) overrated multiplayer franchise that we have today, but also helped start the video game industry's focus on multiplayer and gray-brown shooters. :(

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
DmC: Devil May Cry. I don't care if it ends up a good game, that'll only make me wish it didn't exist even more. I want Devil May Cry 5 dammit, they can't just up and leave Nero unexplained.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
RyQ_TMC said:
EDIT 2: With GTA IV or WoW, it would also be an interesting experiment. Would those games have sold as well and been as highly regarded if they didn't have famous dev studios behind them?
All I know is that I didn't give a shit about MMOs before Blizzard announced theirs, so I'm inclined to say that the existing IP is the single greatest reason for their success. WoW managed to make MMOs mainstream by taking their existing fanbase with them. Plus they already had Diablo/D2 under their belt, so there's that.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII
It ruined the series.
I was prepared to overlook many of the flaws in XII, but when XIII came out, I realised that the signs of Squeenix's downfall were all there.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Goldeneye. And just like that, the console obsession with FPS games is gone. I wonder what this generation would have looked like in that world.

Siegfried Raybrandt

Jul 3, 2011
Rage

Just...kill it. Never have I played a game so horrible before. If I ever do see a bad game now, I think, "At least it's not Rage." ID was too full of itself and thought they could get away with this game on the coattails of its predecessors. Sheer garbage.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Daikatana

Typical "What if..." scenario.
What if Daikatana never happened?

Ion Storm excelled under Spector's leadership, not Romero's.
I'm curious how they would have done if John Romero wasn't too busy stroking his ego and sucking down funds to fuel his gloriously awful Opus.

Barring that...

Nearly every change I've come to despise in shooters started with innovated with Halo, and the sick thing is that I don't think Halo is a bad game. At all. Quite the opposite, I didn't start becoming truly disgusted with Halo until Halo 2.

For all the so-called innovations Halo brought to gaming, it was also responsible (along with Half-Life 2) for shoving the "cinematic" approach to level design down our throats.

Which meant the death of level exploration, secret paths and branches. Half Life 2 had limited exploration, but Halo basically had NO exploration, with levels and elements being repeated for establishing scale (mechanically, there is a LOT of empty space in the Halo series).

Regenerating health + frequent checkpoints work as a One-Size-Fits-All method for balancing encounters, which unfortunately also subtracts any tension from the encounter because there is absolutely NOTHING at risk.

You die? So what? The game quick-loads for you.
You need to commit to using your big guns and outs to win? So what? The next encounter is guaranteed to restock you.

Granted, this means the player won't get stuck, but with good game design that is never really an issue.

I do like lowering the number of weapon slots you have to juggle, though two is a tad low (ideal number is around 4, letting the player swap out loadouts at certain points).
And I love melee attacks for all weapons; it gives the player an incentive to use weapon roles to augment their approach (Deus Ex: Human Revolution did this remarkably well, IMO).

It's just a shame that so many shooters blindly cloned Halo's formula. Wasted potential.
And it doesn't help that CoD4.x is perpetuating that trend even further, by basically cloning Halo's formula verbatim, swapping Sci-Fi for Tom Clancy, and making iron sights+scopes into a new fad.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Honestly not sure what game I think shouldn't have existed, even the bad ones taught lessons about what I did and didn't like saving me from other bad games, moreover teaching the industry with each failure.

Though part of me wants to say Call of Duty as I've slowly grown a dislike for them, they are all loved and played by millions, moreover COD 4 was a great game and deserves life damnit!

Another part of me wants to say Half Life based soley on that small minority who go batshit insane everytime someone suggests it might not be the best thing in the history of gamerkind and hate anything considered by people to be superior, for example on these forums I've seen threads on 'OMGZ HOW Teh hell iz Mass Effect, Halo, COD, GTA, Battlefield better than halflife?!?!?!111oneoneone'. Yes it's a great game, but that small (small) minority of people really do piss me off. But again, Half life deserves existence as it's a great game and hell if I'm going to get pissy about a community I'd have to detonate everything popular and we'd all become hipsters and seriously fuck that idea.

Screw it, destroy the newest Prince of Persia game. I'd rather it never have existed than have to feel dirty for liking that game.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Metroid: Other M
I'm just feeling odd that I'm the first to say it in this thread.
Horrible game.
Edit:
BoredWalker said:
Definitely Metroid: Other M, along with any ideas to make it the new direction for the series.
You sneaky ninja.
Well now I don't feel odd about being alone on this at least.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
it would be Call of Duty for me, if it wernt for that game, we wouldnt have those obnoxious boys calling people fags or jews instead of just calling them stupid.

also, almost all first person shooters copy COD and its made them boring and dull as shit.