Removed

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I think I can get something up in the way of an audition tape. I've been told I have a good voice, whether or not that is still true will remain to be seen I suppose. Expect something in the coming week.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
It's interesting that you mention TeamFourStar - I found MasakoX's voice acting tutorials on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses really informative.

OT: Very interesting project indeed - I love me a good visual novel. I've shot you an audition, so let me know what you think!

And good luck regardless, I've been in your shoes before :D

JessieK

May 6, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
Marik2 said:
You may want to talk to 4chan cuz that is where Katawa Shoujo came from and people might be interested in helping
Agreed. I feel you can get more then voice actors from there too. Though I do not like everything about 4-chan but they do know how to craft very well (if not touching) games like Katawa Shoujo.

As for your set of characters as well as the backstories to them.... very interesting indeed. I already like Hinaka because she reminds me of Hanako (in some ways lol). I wish you the best of luck, and though I would love to volunteer for voice acting... my voice kind of sucks. It sounds like a guy with a stuffy nose (because right now i'm sick XD)
Hinaka is pretty obviously based a little off of Hanako, mainly because her story is one of the only ones I have ever read and cried over and then felt silly for about 1 hour for crying over.

Also I am sorry if I do not get around to answering every question here if I miss its not because I am ignoring you, its just I didn't see it, I will answer every e-mail I get so if there is a pressing issue you have or something you want to ask do e-mail me.

For a few basic questions I get a lot:

1) This is not paid work, me and the writer are paying for what needs to be paid for out of pocket and as both of us are University/Collage students cash is a bit hard up, the game will be released online for free as well so we won't be making money from the VN either.

2) File formats: .wav and .mp3 are preferred.

3) Accents are fine, as long as you are clear and people can understand you there is not an issue.

4) I am aware the writing is bad now, I honestly didn't think twice about it when I posted it, I have now got 2 people proof reading the main post to make it clearer, sorry for any issue this caused again if you have an issue with a line shoot me an e-mail I wont be offended if you are asking for clarification on what a line is meant to read.

Proco123

Jul 4, 2010
This sounds very fun indeed. I'll send over clips for the three male characters in tomorrow some time. I'd love to do it now but it's the middle of the night and I don't fancy waking anyone up.

I too am a university student and timing won't be an issue for this project.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I would be more than happy to if I were free, as I act quite frequently. That said, I'm full up for the rest of the foreseeable future with shoots and all.

Best of luck to you!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
As decent at voice acting as I am told I am, my recording hardware is ...undesirable. I'll give it a pass and wish you good luck with your project.

Apr 28, 2008
Interesting. Always wanted to try my hand at voice acting, so I'll make some time to send in some voices for all 3 males next week. Or perhaps a few days if I'm lucky.

Just one question, what audio file do you want us to send? mp3, wav, or something else?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
...I hate to be that guy, especially since other people have brought it up, but are you expecting auditions to follow the lines exactly?

I mean-

"No I am not saying its a bad idea at all, I am saying I wouldn't have the guts to do something like that myself"

-it's not really my place to criticize but lines like that are pretty awkward. Most of them seem to be sacrificing normal speech to sound formal/intelligent. I don't know who wrote them but whoever it was seems to have a case of knowing what they want it to sound like but not managing to express it.

JessieK

May 6, 2013
Phlakes said:
...I hate to be that guy, especially since other people have brought it up, but are you expecting auditions to follow the lines exactly?

I mean-

"No I am not saying its a bad idea at all, I am saying I wouldn't have the guts to do something like that myself"

-it's not really my place to criticize but lines like that are pretty awkward. Most of them seem to be sacrificing normal speech to sound formal/intelligent. I don't know who wrote them but whoever it was seems to have a case of knowing what they want it to sound like but not managing to express it.
Again everything here was written by me as a sort of "how they would sound" sort of sense, I am happy for people to adjust the lines to make them fit with there way of speaking or if the line just doesn't seem to work at all, though the line you picked doesn't seem to be that big of an issue maybe its just because I can hear it in my head better than it comes out in text, or the fact I never write I'm I always write I am which I guess people don't really use in speech

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I'm very laid back naturally and I have a late teen voice, so I believe I will apply for Alex.

I guarantee I'll have time to do all the lines you need, and voice acting is my specialty. Is there a certain accent you prefer? I'm from New Zealand but I can do American if that helps.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
JessieK said:
Phlakes said:

I mean-

Again everything here was written by me as a sort of "how they would sound" sort of sense, I am happy for people to adjust the lines to make them fit with there way of speaking or if the line just doesn't seem to work at all, though the line you picked doesn't seem to be that big of an issue maybe its just because I can hear it in my head better than it comes out in text, or the fact I never write I'm I always write I am which I guess people don't really use in speech
Coming from a script writer... People never speak how they write. I suggest that you listen to speech patterns and what people say as opposed to how you would write it. For example, I'll fix your text up for you:

Before

After
"No. It's not a bad idea at all. I just don't have the guts to do it."

Read your dialogue out loud; get someone else to read it out loud. If it doesn't sound natural, change it so it does.

EDIT:

Ace Morologist said:
HELPFUL HINTS FOR PEOPLE APPLYING FOR VOICE-OVER WORK:

-Don't describe yourself as inexperienced if nobody asked.
(Offer credentials if you have them. If not, just introduce yourself and let your audition speak for itself.)

-Don't give reasons why you think you might not be right for the part.
(Just let the quality of your audition speak for itself.)

-Don't ask basic questions about what equipment you might need to do the job properly.
(At least, don't ask the person you want to give you the job. Ask elsewhere.)

-Don't ask about pay until you have a job offer.
(C'mon, dude. Seriously.)

-Don't criticize the quality of the writing.
-DON'T CRITICIZE THE QUALITY OF THE WRITING.
-Don't. Criticize. The. Quality. Of. The. Writing.
("Dear creative person who might want to hire me: Your hard work is shit. You are shit. You clearly don't know what you're doing. Nevertheless, I need a resume filler, so please bring me into your creative endeavor. Who knows... Maybe I can save you from the tower of shit you've built for yourself and lead you heroically into a new golden age of fame and fortune.")

-Don't offer condescending, unsolicited... advice... to...
(Oops. Okay, fair point, The Internet. You win that round.)

--Morology!
The first two I agree with unconditionally, but the rest fall into an interesting case. The case being that we didn't go to him; he came to us. And not a company nor a team- but as just one guy.

Asking about pay is a valid question. In a professional environment, this would be inappropriate due to the power relationship between the client and the employer, but in this case the relationship is reversed. If one wants compensation but there is none, then the audition is a waste of time.

Asking about equipment, is quite valid for someone who doesn't have a proper mic. If he can't produce the audio quality that is needed, then the audition is a waste of time.

Criticizing the writing... he's on a forum. A forum is a place to discuss ideas. He presents an idea, therefore, we will discuss it. This is especially true with writing when it comes to the Escapist. Will it get us hired? Probably not. Will he even listen to our advice? Deflection, excuses, and ignoring are to be expected. Is it worth it? In the amateur setting of a gaming forum, yes. If he takes our critique, then more power to him; if not, then that's his choice.

Being condescending... I don't think that anyone intended to be condescending on this post. I'll admit that several others and I were very hard on him, but with the best intentions. He is making many of mistakes that quite a few of us, Escapists, have already learned from due to schooling or experience. We don't intend to put this on our resume or anything; we just want to see a fellow writer/artist/game maker improve.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I may send some lines in for Jesia later this week. I have done one other VO work before, as the new Lara Croft in a diary-like narration of her time on the island like an audio book. The project was never finished, but I did audition and get the role, if that's any assurance. I don't necessarily have a British accent, but I do sound very formal and proper, which is why I was chosen for Lara. If you want, I can send some of those lines as well.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Sounds fun, but my deep voice, with a Norwegian accent, would probably not fit well with the characters xD

JessieK

May 6, 2013
Coming from a script writer... People never speak how they write. I suggest that you listen to speech patterns and what people say as opposed to how you would write it. For example, I'll fix your text up for you:

Before

After
"No. It's not a bad idea at all. I just don't have the guts to do it."

Read your dialogue out loud; get someone else to read it out loud. If it doesn't sound natural, change it so it does.

EDIT:

Ace Morologist said:
HELPFUL HINTS FOR PEOPLE APPLYING FOR VOICE-OVER WORK:

-Don't describe yourself as inexperienced if nobody asked.
(Offer credentials if you have them. If not, just introduce yourself and let your audition speak for itself.)

-Don't give reasons why you think you might not be right for the part.
(Just let the quality of your audition speak for itself.)

-Don't ask basic questions about what equipment you might need to do the job properly.
(At least, don't ask the person you want to give you the job. Ask elsewhere.)

-Don't ask about pay until you have a job offer.
(C'mon, dude. Seriously.)

-Don't criticize the quality of the writing.
-DON'T CRITICIZE THE QUALITY OF THE WRITING.
-Don't. Criticize. The. Quality. Of. The. Writing.
("Dear creative person who might want to hire me: Your hard work is shit. You are shit. You clearly don't know what you're doing. Nevertheless, I need a resume filler, so please bring me into your creative endeavor. Who knows... Maybe I can save you from the tower of shit you've built for yourself and lead you heroically into a new golden age of fame and fortune.")

-Don't offer condescending, unsolicited... advice... to...
(Oops. Okay, fair point, The Internet. You win that round.)

--Morology!
The first two I agree with unconditionally, but the rest fall into an interesting case. The case being that we didn't go to him; he came to us. And not a company nor a team- but as just one guy.

Asking about pay is a valid question. In a professional environment, this would be inappropriate due to the power relationship between the client and the employer, but in this case the relationship is reversed. If one wants compensation but there is none, then the audition is a waste of time.

Asking about equipment, is quite valid for someone who doesn't have a proper mic. If he can't produce the audio quality that is needed, then the audition is a waste of time.

Criticizing the writing... he's on a forum. A forum is a place to discuss ideas. He presents an idea, therefore, we will discuss it. This is especially true with writing when it comes to the Escapist. Will it get us hired? Probably not. Will he even listen to our advice? Deflection, excuses, and ignoring are to be expected. Is it worth it? In the amateur setting of a gaming forum, yes. If he takes our critique, then more power to him; if not, then that's his choice.

Being condescending... I don't think that anyone intended to be condescending on this post. I'll admit that several others and I were very hard on him, but with the best intentions. He is making many of mistakes that quite a few of us, Escapists, have already learned from due to schooling or experience. We don't intend to put this on our resume or anything; we just want to see a fellow writer/artist/game maker improve.
Hey thanks for the tip, not being a writer but aspiring to improve in that field, that's actually really helpful advice

Also I know the post wasn't aimed at me but I will talk to it anyway, I do take in everything that's said here, and while I am used to a "God that sucks" which I must admit I tend to just blank out the feedback given to me on these forums has been much more constructive and therefore is very helpful.
Also as a side note I am in no way attempting to ignore anyone's feedback or comments, if I do not directly reply to your question its normally because I just didn't see it, e-mailing me directly is the best way to get a question answered.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
This sounds fun.
I have a typical anime-ish voice but never tried any acting before.
Right now my concern is that my voice and my physical appearance gap will grow ever wider and I will start to sound creepy...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Kuilui said:
This is a romantic game right? What level of romance are we talking here exactly. I'm interested in doing this but I'm wondering how far the romance part of this goes.
I'd like to know the answer to this too, before I send off any voice files. >.>

JessieK

May 6, 2013
sky14kemea said:
Kuilui said:
This is a romantic game right? What level of romance are we talking here exactly. I'm interested in doing this but I'm wondering how far the romance part of this goes.
I'd like to know the answer to this too, before I send off any voice files. >.>
This ones a little hard to answer, the player is able to date any of the main cast there will be some highly emotional scenes, and there will be some soppy ones as well.
To put some minds are rest there will be no sex in the game so you wont have to voice a sex scene, the game is not about trying to get in to the characters underwear its about exploring the characters.

vanfull

May 9, 2013
Wow, this looks unbelievably boss. I am very excited to potentially have the opportunity to be a part of this "Visual Novel." Hold on, I am going to record for you good samples. stay tuned