Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Wow. Gaming is getting more badass by the week.

First biker gangs, now we kick tobacco's ass too.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
"Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2" will bring the end of the world.

This is too stupid to not laugh this article.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
SikOseph said:
So it's safe to smoke again? Good thing I never stopped.
Hahahaha, best. line. ever. I don't smoke but that doesn't mean I don't find 100%, distilled hilarity in your comment.

OT: Although I'm the first to admit that exposing young children (emphasis on young) to shoot-em-ups and stuff can cause them to become desensitised to violence, to think that anyone with the emotional maturity of a 9 year old or higher can be influenced by games is stupid. And to compare videogaming, which is a Past-time!, to a serious illness!? It says more about the emotional instability and lack of social experience of the writer than it does about the actual content of the article.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Ten News? You sure?

I thought the crappy reporting was exclusive to seven's Today Tonight and nine's A Current Affairs.

RabidusUnus

Oct 7, 2009
Premonition said:
Excuse me, australians, are your politicians 8 years old? To be setting this up ... my god.
My, my god, YOU'VE FIGURED IT OUT! It fits all of the evidence, and I don't believe any country would be stupid enough to hire politicians with psychological conditions. But Australia may be dumb enough to hire 8 year olds.

(Not talking about the Australians here, or any other sensible ones)

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Well... Im just happy that the only place theese idiots got any power, is in the states and down under.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
ultrachicken said:
"Plotting terrorist plots..."
Bull. Shit.
And can they reference any other game than "Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2?"
Yeah, you can tell how much time they invested into that study. They didn't even get the name right, and how hard is that? And they want to be taken seriously. These guys remind me of Fox News idiots.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I wasn't aware that I was a pathological, bloodthirsty, homicidal, maniac.
Well, better get back to work then.

Anyone looking for a merc? Apparently I'm a good one!

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Machiavellian007 said:
There are moments when I wonder about my country. Unfortunately, those moments are coming too bloody often now.
As soon as finish school, I swear I am fleeing to Japan or England or France or, hell, America!
*epic facepalm*
You've got to be joking right? From my understanding England and America are having their political ups and downs, but France and Japan are so far up shit creek without a paddle courtesy of their elected leaders its not funny.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
.......It's an Australian report, automatically invalid due to Michael Atkinson affiliation.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Completely anecdotal evidence, but I've played video games since I was 6, including playing stupidly violent games such as carmageddon at around the age of 11. I have never been involved in a fight, I have never tried to harm someone, I've never robbed anyone, vandalised anyone's property, or done anything "violent" in the real world. The only major effect in my life from gaming is playing too much and wrecking my sleep pattern every few weeks, but that's not even exclusive to gaming (internet forums tend to do that to me as well lol).

It is offensive and wrong to label all video gamers as violent criminals.

Aug 4, 2009
Oh boy... we're feeding the fire by actually taking in consideration what some journalist says about something he has zero knowledge or expirience of. He's just doing something in the lines of "I BELIVE VIDEOGAMES ARE BAD...FURTHERMORE I ACTUALLY AM IMPORTNAT IN MY LINE OF WORK AND WANT NOTHING MORE THAN TO INFORM THE PUBLIC. AND I AM NOT USING VIDEOGAMES AS A MEANS TO PROPEL MY POPULARITY". He's just doing the same thing as Hillary Clinton, Jack Thompson, Michael Atkinson or any other person for whom popularity and credibility are important to be sucesfull in their line of work.
It's all a platform, to show something that they "stand for", in other words complete bullshit.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Someone should send them a copy of the Byron Report that basicly said, yes its not good for kids, but the ones that arn't good are 18+ games, that parents should be responsible for NOT BUYING THEM.

How can Australians even do this research anyway? All the really violent games are banned!