Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
wunderguy said:
Starke said:
wunderguy said:
Starke said:
Are we basing this off the data that smoking isn't connected to lung cancer because tobacco inhibits the destruction of cancer cells, but isn't actually carcinogenic itself?
that is true but theres a metric shitload of more crap then just tobacco in your average cigarette
Indeed, it's the pesticides they use ON the tobacco that's outright carcinogenic. You sir, have earned this cookie. *Dispenses cookie.*
Is it carcinogenic?
God, I hope not...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Aaah, this article explains everything. Now I know why terrorists kill people. It also explains World War 2 and the crusades and sacrificing human lives to satisfy gods. I bet Hitler decided to invade Poland because a Polish kid killed him in Modern Warfare 2. What was that? You claim Hitler didn't have Modern Warfare 2? Now I lost my explanation to why people are violent...

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
OH NOES!!!!1!!
Save teh kiddies from the blood are gore!!!!
[/sarcasm]
when will they learn that games arent to blame.

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
What, kids smoke video games nowadays, and it causes cancer and violent, bloody rampages?! Oh my...

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
I haven't seen misinformation this bad since the rumour I heard in high school about one of the jocks being a cuntboy.

I mean sure I heard MANY sources uncited and such attesting to this male's lack of a penis and instead having a vagina, but nobody actually confirmed it, so I guess that would make it correct right?
Even if he wears a cup.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
This is so true! I played Mass Effect 2 for a few hours this weekend, and now I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Every single person who was involved in this horrible excuse for a "fact" needs to be shot

Repeatedly

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Larkin99 said:
Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2
Lol!

That is both hilarious and saddening. Hilarious because of their incredible sweeping statements, and saddening because these luddites still have some inflence.
I think Australia bought Modern Warfare 2's evil twin to sell. Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2, in contrast to its good counterpart has no multiplayer and has 12 hours of gameplay in which you shoot billions of civilians, but go undercover in one mission where you dress up as a soldier and protect innocents.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Well another day, another dipshit who thinks gaming is the end all be all of our generation. Not looking at the fact that it could be the failing school systems that could be causing the problems, well at least in America.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
Nova5 said:
This isn't surprising in the least. It's almost admirable, in a sick way, just how determined these technophobic old farts are to continue beating their heads against the wall.

Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.
theres also a level where you save america and win back the whitehouse so that makes it good!

although asparently the good things in gaming dont work

JackShandy

Feb 27, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAoh. oh god. I just realised.

This would be funny if they weren't serious and people weren't taking this seriously like a serious issue and I wasn't going to be seriously affected by this bullshit.

I... I LIVE in Australia, man! Pricks like this stopped me from seeing blood in Left for dead 2! NOOOO.

EDIT: I've been looking at the website of these guys and dear lord.

FREQUENT ARGUMENTS:

7. "Gamers know better than non-gamers that games are not harmful"
ACCM response: The gaming industry reports that gamers see games as less violent and harmful than non-gamers do. The implication is that they know better. But do they? The enthusiasm with which some gamers describe extremely violent games ("good harmless fun") suggests researchers who maintain that such games have a desensitising effect are right.

Obviously, people who have never played a game are more entitled to make decisions about them than these strange perverted "Gamer" folks. Bonus points for mentioning the opinion of "Researchers" in an utterly unbiased way. It's important to include the point of view of fictional characters in these things. NOT TO MENTION:

"ACCM response: The gaming industry make much of the 91% of a sample that answered yes to the question in a survey: "Do you think there should be an R18+ for games?" (in the same way as adults can easily access R18+ material in other media)? The disingenuousness of this motherhood question is remarkable."

Good point, ACCM! CLEARLY these people who play games were biased when it comes to opinions on games. Only those who have never played a game should be allowed to answer this survey- THEY'RE the ones most affected.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
MattRooney06 said:
Nova5 said:
This isn't surprising in the least. It's almost admirable, in a sick way, just how determined these technophobic old farts are to continue beating their heads against the wall.

Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.
theres also a level where you save america and win back the whitehouse so that makes it good!

although asparently the good things in gaming dont work
Well, it still has guns, so it's poisonous for the childrens.

I've got a sister in law who seriously believes any game with a gun is some kind of devil spawn. She drives me fucking crazy when she starts running her mouth, usually without being prompted.

hyker

Feb 2, 2010
lol its funny how australia says all kinds of shit about how video games are bad and that they will ban it and doobde doobde dooo
its like hearing a 9 year old talking about how he will be an astronaut and save the world from the firebreading dragon thats on mars

I think parents should be the ones to tell their children that blood in video games are just sets of 1 and 0's and in real life you cant just shoot down your boss and T-bag him

instead of blowing money of having conference and telling it every day that video games are bad they should spend it on arresting criminal gamers who played manhunt since age 5 and whos mother was a crackwhore and never teached his kid about anything other then how to steal and kill

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Smoking on lung cancer? Did they really say that? Because you don't smoke long cancer...

"Hey man, I got some nice long cancer, you want some?"

"Naw, I prefer emphysema!"

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Is there really anything left to say but "lol, Australia"?
Yeah I'm figuring Australia has rocketed passed Japan. Albeit I rarely agree with "lol, Japan" but everything out of Australia since Steve died is just pathetic and sad.

I wonder if anyone told them that sensationalist information only gets people already on your side on your side?

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
I will admit that kids playing violent games is something that could easily de-sensitize, but it's never lead to violence as far as I've ever seen.
Here I thought Jack Thompson was bad, to all of you Austrailians that have to deal with Atkinson and this bullshit, you have my deepest sympathies and support. It seems that some people just can't see the big picture of gaming as a form of entertainment, and instead see it as an evil form of violent indoctrination. Remember that people, all game developers are evil, 'cause they just want you to plot terrorist attacks and murder innocent people.

Come to think of it, why did nobody raise any controversy over FF7? The very first scene of the game has you taking part in a terrorist bombing...

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
"Psychologists say regular exposure to games like these actually rewires a child's brain, making them more amenable to violence," the report adds.
That's why it's not for children. There's a thing on the front that says "18+" ...
Some parents should stop blaming violence on videogames and not let their 11-year-olds play games meant for people near their twenties.

People are idiots -.-

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
theultimateend said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Is there really anything left to say but "lol, Australia"?
Yeah I'm figuring Australia has rocketed passed Japan. Albeit I rarely agree with "lol, Japan" but everything out of Australia since Steve died is just pathetic and sad.

I wonder if anyone told them that sensationalist information only gets people already on your side on your side?
Japan is still the undisputed heavyweight champion of weird shit, but Australia has certainly rocketed to the top when it comes to this kind of nonsense.