Report: PewDiePie YouTube Series Cancelled Due to Anti-Semitic Posts

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Petter Jonsson said:
Fair enough, but I don't see how that justifies the slander, or why it'd be wrong of people to defend him.
It doesn't, and if he wants to file for slander he should do so. He's a big boy and plenty wealthy, he'll figure it out if he feels the need to.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i dont know whats worse.. that this asshat did it on purpose for publicity, that hes an actual neo nazi and its just finally starting to leak out or that he is that fucking oblivious to the fact saying you should kill jews would actually insult people.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
008Zulu said:
He went full Mel Gibson. Never go full Mel Gibson.
Mel seems to me to be a 100% legit racist and anti-semite, PewDiePie not so much. Unlike PewDiePie he makes money for Hollywood though, so it's not such a big deal.

If the media, desperate to virtue signal to their predominantly jewish bosses, continue to bash PewDiePie they might meme it into reality though.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
pookie101 said:
i honestly had not heard of him before yesterday but the suspicious part of me wonders if he did it on purpose for publicity and more people clicking on his videos
He's a Youtuber; of course he did - it's not like you're unearthing some sort of conspiracy. ;)

In any case, I doubt that any of this will affect him much - if you ever witness his fanbase, you will see just how fanatical they are.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
zaccone1 said:
klaynexas3 said:
At the end of the day, it's not like this will touch him. He already has enough that he could live a comfortable single middle class life for the rest of his life living off the interest his bank account would generate alone, and that's if he quit everything. I doubt he will, so he'll be even more fine.
There should be no limit to the success of a man. Saying how "he make's millions, what's one or two million less?" is insane.
My point was that he still has his health and that he still could not work for the rest of his life and live a comfortable lifestyle. Yes, striving for more is always nice, but all I'm saying is that he'll live so I'm not exactly crying for him.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
I never watched PewdiePie. He and youtubers like him never struck me as funny. So I really can't speak for his content. I do generally believe people when they say his jokes were taken out of context, because I vaguely remember him calling for people to get along over some deal. Again, don't watch him, don't know.

What I do know for fact is that he signed contracts. With Disney. One of the most homogenized, white bread, Pollyanna (Pun!) companies this world will have ever seen.

If I am hired with Company X that says I can not use my position or link myself to the company when I speak my beliefs outside of working hours, and my Facebook has that I work as CEO for Company X... and I decide to go an a Diatribe on Hillary/Trump, saying supporters of either are the subhuman garbage that is bringing this country down.

Or, nothing that big, what if I take to twitter and post of picture of me naked with Trump's face instead of my penis with the caption "See, baby, I told you I had the biggest dick in America in my pants"? If Company X fires me, are you all going to come to my side and yell "CENSORSHIP!!"?

Or are you going to call me a dumb ass that deserves it and then tell me to next time read my contracts and abide by the company's morals so I don't get fired again?
I don't know if he ever signed a contract with Disney. He worked for Maker Studios, which Disney acquired a year or two ago.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I think he should sue the articles over this. Sure he might lose some money but someone should stand up to these slanderous beasts in e media

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
The Enquirer said:
It mentions that 9 of his videos contained the anti-semitic stuff, so I doubt this decision just came out of the blue. While normally I'd respect someone sticking to their guns and making what they want, these jokes just seemed in poor taste. That said, I'm not sure what anyone expected when the guy made a living off of screaming at bad games and making rape jokes.

I don't think he's actually anti-semitic or anything like that, just that he sometimes makes jokes in poor taste.
The "9 videos containing anti-semetic stuff" was cherrypicked by 3 Wall Street Journal writers, deliberately taken out of context, and forwarded to Disney and YouTube to ruin his partnership with them.

I'm not even bothered by Disney and Google's decision to dump their business relationship with them; any whiff of potential PR fiascos basically necessitate that kind of decision. What I hate was the predatory, lying sabotage efforts of the mainstream media ONCE AGAIN trying to tear down people that threaten their monopoly on social influence. Nobody in their right mind who have watched any of Pewdiepie's content would believe he is an anti-semite or a Nazi; death by inappropriate stigmatization is a favored tactic by the establishment media.

EVERYONE who knows who Pewdiepie is, including the Wall Street Journal libelers, recognize that he is nothing more than a popular internet comedian. I don't like his content and I find him annoying, but the only people I have true disgust for are those that want to destroy people like him.

gigastar said:
This was a targeted smear.

Essential talking points from the video, the three Wall Street Journal "reporters"...

And Steven, id like to thank you for not publishing a virtue-signalling opinion peice, the absence of such articles on the Escapist is the main reason im still here.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
zaccone1 said:
klaynexas3 said:
At the end of the day, it's not like this will touch him. He already has enough that he could live a comfortable single middle class life for the rest of his life living off the interest his bank account would generate alone, and that's if he quit everything. I doubt he will, so he'll be even more fine.
There should be no limit to the success of a man. Saying how "he make's millions, what's one or two million less?" is insane.
My point was that he still has his health and that he still could not work for the rest of his life and live a comfortable lifestyle. Yes, striving for more is always nice, but all I'm saying is that he'll live so I'm not exactly crying for him.
I dont doubt PewDiePie's financial integrity will survive parting with Disney, but you should care that the man just suffered an attempt to destroy his career on the grounds of his political incorrectness.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Good lord people, it'd be libel, not slander. This is why nobody takes internet moon lawyers seriously.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well...it seems to have originated from The Wall Street Journal going directly to Disney about "anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery" then Disney overreacting, followed quickly by Youtube itself because of the potential PR disaster- of which websites like TWSJ are the happy purveyors -

So.

Yeah. Cunts being cunts, basically.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
Petter Jonsson said:
Secondly, has any actual jew come out and said that this was genuinely, truly offensive to them, or is this another case of people being offended on the behalf of others? The only one I know of who's made a direct statement on this situation is H3h3, who thought that these "anti-semitic" videos were hilarious and not offensive at all (although I personally think that H3h3's an opportunistic git who leaps onto whatever the current big controversy is, so I'd take his videos with a heavy pinch of salt). Whatever the case, you must acknowledge that everybody reacts differently to taboo-breaking jokes like this, and claiming that Felix's videos are insulting to each and every jew of the world is just straight-up wrong.
I'm Jewish, and I thought that it was offensive when I read about it. I have relatives who suffered in the Holocaust, so the level to which this was not cool was pretty colossal.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Robert B. Marks said:
Petter Jonsson said:
Secondly, has any actual jew come out and said that this was genuinely, truly offensive to them, or is this another case of people being offended on the behalf of others? The only one I know of who's made a direct statement on this situation is H3h3, who thought that these "anti-semitic" videos were hilarious and not offensive at all (although I personally think that H3h3's an opportunistic git who leaps onto whatever the current big controversy is, so I'd take his videos with a heavy pinch of salt). Whatever the case, you must acknowledge that everybody reacts differently to taboo-breaking jokes like this, and claiming that Felix's videos are insulting to each and every jew of the world is just straight-up wrong.
I'm Jewish, and I thought that it was offensive when I read about it. I have relatives who suffered in the Holocaust, so the level to which this was not cool was pretty colossal.
At the same time, another youtuber who is Jewish, married to an Israeli woman, and a friend of Felix personally posted this defence of Felix.

https://youtu.be/JLNSiFrS3n4

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
mad825 said:
Deathfish15 said:
Company reflected PR. When the guy looks like an antisemitic as a Disney employee, then too does Disney look antisemitic.
I doubt people even knew that, TB, Angry joe and epic rap battles (and that's all I know because they publicly announced it) are owned by Disney via a subsidiary they took over a few years ago.

Doesn't matter. Disney knows. As an employee of Disney, it's expected of him to follow their standards of decorum. He failed to do so, lost his job. So simple even a child uneducated in the Holocaust would know this.

ChaplainOrion said:
Robert B. Marks said:
At the same time, another youtuber who is Jewish, married to an Israeli woman, and a friend of Felix personally posted this defence of Felix.

Just because some Jewish individuals are okay with "death to Jews" jokes, doesn't mean the entirety of all Jewish people are.

Just because some homosexual individuals aren't bothered by the words "queer" and "******", doesn't mean that all homosexuals are.

And the same can be said for any word, term, or phrase derived from the belittlement and hatred towards a group of people.

Gibbagobba said:
Deathfish15 said:
Company reflected PR. When the guy looks like an antisemitic as a Disney employee, then too does Disney look antisemitic.

There's got to be some undertone antisemitic feeling from PewDiePie if he's going to make those kind of jokes without emotional sympathy or understanding. Especially when this is a REPEAT ISSUE on his channel over other past videos. This means that the feeling of antisemitism is there in his blood.
You can't be serious. It's just stupid jokes. He's trolling the media since he knows that if he does something outrageous, they'll report on it without proper context. They take everything so damn seriously these days so he's trying to get under their skin. People really need a better sense of priorities as to what's actually worth getting worked up over. This is not.
I'm totally 100% serious. Those who know the context of "death to all Jews" knows full well NOT to push that button, or make that joke. He's either a completely uneducated fool or he's actually antisemitic. There is no third option.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
ChaplainOrion said:
Robert B. Marks said:
Petter Jonsson said:

That may be the case (and I watched most of the video you linked, which really didn't impress me that much), but my opinion stands. Paying people to advocate violence, against anybody, as a joke to see if they'll do it isn't funny, and it isn't even good social commentary.

Compare it with, say Sacha Baron Cohen's Borat, and there's a world of difference. In Borat, Cohen (who is himself Jewish) plays a comically over-the-top antisemite (I just about bust a gut laughing at "the running of the Jew" sequence, particularly when the "Jew" laid an egg) as he interacts with the people around him, in turn getting them to drop their guard and reveal their own prejudices. As a result, it serves as a great exploration of how something like antisemitism can fester under the surface or be allowed to pass out of politeness in places you wouldn't expect.

But Cohen wasn't paying anybody to say those things - he was getting them to drop their guard and let it slip, using a persona that was so cartoonish and over-the-top that nobody could ever mistake him for actually being an antisemite. Felix, however, was paying people to spread violently antisemitic messages, and even if he isn't a neo-Nazi, and those he paid are just people who would do anything for money, there are very real neo-Nazis out there who might act on that message he just spread. And, honestly, I couldn't tell you if he is a neo-Nazi or just using neo-Nazism as a prop for a joke - lots of racists claim not to be one right before saying or advocating for something racist, and Felix just spread a message to millions of viewers advocating for violence against Jews.

So, it may be that he's trying to do edgy social commentary while being no Sacha Baron Cohen, or it may be that he's just an internet comedian with a very inappropriate sense of humour - either way, what he did I found to be quite offensive, and I am somebody who has at least one relative with numbers tattooed on her arm from the Dachau concentration camp.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Perusing the thread I see the hypocrisy continues...

Yes, PewDiePie was exercising his right to free speech by posting the video with that "joke".

But so too are the rest of us when we criticize the shit-bag for doing it.

Freedom of speech's only meaningful guarantee is that no governing or ruling body may arrest you for anything you say. It does NOT guarantee you a forum from which to speak, does not require anyone to listen, nor does it protect you from criticism.

He decided to make a blatantly offensive joke to further his 'edgelord' status. He got called out on it. To have some of you rushing to his defense because others decided to exercise their own rights to free speech is the height of hypocrisy.

People need to grow up. Holy shit.