Requirements for a gamer

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
I think the classification for being considered to be a gamer should be that you have tried many different genres and many different games. If I were to only play, say, JRPGs, then I would have missed out on things like Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Portal, Half-Life, Minecraft, etc.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
As many before me have said; a gamer is anyone who enjoys games. I play games in my spare time both alone and with friends, and it's my preferred form of entertainment.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
A hardcore gamer treats gaming as a lifestyle, not a hobby. A gamer possesses gaming as their primary hobby. Just like a sportsman plays sports as his primary hobby, but a fitness-freak takes it as a lifestyle. Will all of you drop this petty crap about how it's offensive to be called a gamer? Dear God, you make out it's akin to being called a bloody heretic!

Am I a gamer? Well, yeah. I suppose I am. I'm on a gaming website. If I had an Xbox at my apartment, I would most likely be playing it right now.
Am I a hardcore gamer? No. I don't care if I win. I don't judge myself based on my video-game success. If I had to label myself, I'd call myself a casual gamer. Games fill the space when I'm not doing something more productive. I play for fun. This makes me casual.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
They must atleast know who Mario is (Sadly, i have met some people who didn't know who he was I'm afraid..); Don't need to like the guy, just have to know who he is.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I didn't realize that there were requirements to be a gamer, silly me.

I suppose just playing games is a good enough answer for me, that and being really excited when you talk about them.

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
(This is all in jest)
All day (16-24 hours) gaming session
Had at least one semester of schooling ruined by gaming
Have at least one game that you will defend to the death
Raged on at least one forum
Dropped an embarrassing amount money at an arcade when caught up in a game
Ended a friendship over something game related
Check!
Yay! I'm a gamer!^^

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
GvidaZ said:
Right here your thoughts on goals a person should acompish if he is to dare call himself gamer
For example-play this game,beat this boss,kill these enemies,beat this level,know this game.
Do mind the console limitations...
Im going to give what could be a /thread type of answer here, hopefully...

You can only call yourself a gamer if you play and enjoy games, of any brand, on any platform, of any genre, and of past or present, and NOT ***** about a game because of some stupid fucking reason... unless justified by genuine hatred of the developer/publisher.

*cough,cough*Activision*cough,cough,cough*COD*cough*

Hmm, sorry, throat was scratchy...

*Edit*

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
(This is all in jest)
All day (16-24 hours) gaming session Check
Had at least one semester of schooling ruined by gaming Check
Have at least one game that you will defend to the death Check
Raged on at least one forum Check
Dropped an embarrassing amount money at an arcade when caught up in a game Check
Ended a friendship over something game related incomplete
Hmm, not bad, looks like Im close to a true gamer :p

For the school semester, thats why ill never play Wow ever fucking again.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
you do realize that a 'gamer' is not some exotic pet right?

on topic: the old standby of something from the half life set, one or both of the portals, and everyone should be forced by law to deal with a game that is riddled with bugs so they can understand the frustration

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
mb16 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Playing games, that's it.
Anyone who says otherwise is an elitist douchebag who's obviously overdue for an extensive beating with a 2X4.
so you would class someone who has played facebook games a few times with someone who has spent +£3000 on games,PCs,etc..?
Well not someone whose played a Facebook game once or twice and then never touched it again, no. That' why I said playing games, as in enjoys doing so currently.
But otherwise, yes I would. I think we've have been austrisized and outcasted too much over the years to start doing it ourselves.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
If gaming is a hobby of yours, then yes you are a gamer. Am I a gamer? Yes and I couldn't be more proud of it

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
-Enjoyment when playing games.
-Your main entertainment outlet.

Can only think these 2 would be required to call yourself a gamer.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
Irony, maybe, as in using the label of Gamer as part of a game in itself, especially if that person plays board games or is an athlete who takes part in competitions referred to as 'Games' (making said athlete a Pro-Gamer. Michael Jordan was uber 1337!).

Other than that, I agree with others (including the Escapist's own Yahtzee, something that I don't want to make a habit of let alone a hobby)here that labeling oneself based upon one's taste in hobbies may be, to put it mildly, a bad idea.
Can't one just be a person who plays games, however frequent or rarely? Why not leave it up to corporations to measure one's usage habits to shuffle us all into categories such as 'Light User' or 'Heavy User'? That's their job, after all...unless it's your new hobby.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Whoa! Hands up anybody here who actually knows anything about social science, and how that pertains to identity construction? As someone with a degree in this stuff, it's fairly interesting, and there's nothing more interesting than actually taking a look at threads like this and watching identity construction take place.

There won't be any ditching of labels any time soon - do you know why? Because labels are incredibly useful. What do you call thing you have you drink in? What is your PC monitor currently resting oh? What are you sitting on? What colour is your hair? All of these things are labels - every name is a label, and the purpose of giving things names is so that we can talk to them and refer to them without having to clumsily repeat the description of what we mean every time we mention something.

The whole of human language exists because of names and labels. Because of this, anything that exists will have a name or a label. The label for someone who enjoys playing games is a gamer. That's all there is to it. You have a group of people who enjoy playing games that needed a name, and the term gamer was created. It doesn't matter if you petition to get rid of it - all that does is force society to create a new label because the old one isn't allowed any more. This is what people dislike about being "politically correct" - it's the fact that they can't call someone something they used to call you because it has now been deemed offensive, and instead are forced to use a new term.

The problem is that it is not the terms that are offensive. Words, on their own, aren't offensive. It's how they are used and the context in which they are used. Any word can be turned into an insult simply be continued use in a derogatory manner, even after they've been changed. Meanwhile, words typically considered as insults are not insulting when used in an appropriate context, such as when used jokingly between friends.

However, what often happens is that as terms get used, they often get used in a certain context, or combined with other words, and the words get tainted. They start picking up implied definitions that tarnish the definition - for example, there's often a consideration that to be considered a gamer you need to be "hard-core" because of the common phrase "hard-core gamer" even though gamer itself is independent of this.

At what point do people become gamers? The ultimate answer is when they say they do - when they self-identify as a gamer, which comes along with self-identifying as someone who enjoys playing games. This is because if the nature of identity construction - we typically take a very binary approach to identities, with a simplistic us or them mindset, which may or may not be antagonistic in nature.

When someone identifies with a group, such as being a gamer, they identify with other gamers, and view other people identifying as gamers as part of 'us' - and will share traits, markings, and so forth to build a community. Some of this is quite natural, especially when it comes to identities based on hobbies and activities. For example, if I am a gamer and I'm playing games, and someone else is a gamer and they are playing games, then they are both doing the same thing - playing games. Chances are there will be other game-related traits in common, such as liking the same games, keeping up with the same game related sites, commenting on the Escapist forums, and so forth. These are all optional, but the chance is there, and the more correlation, the stronger the identity. As the group itself becomes bigger, there's more opportunity for correlation, even if the actual activities become more diverse, especially in a hobby as open as gaming - and as more of these occur, you get sub-identities forming, maybe based along the genre of games played or the type of console, and so on.

Self-identification isn't always so natural and uncontrolled, but can also be directed. People can choose to become part of an identity they desire, in which case they will try to find what the strongest correlations are, and seek to emulate them. These strongest correlations are often what form the basis of stereotypes - easy to remember ideas and concepts which provide a foundation for what something is. Everything else is layered on top or tweaked, so it is rare that a stereotype is the whole picture for any individual.

Like names and labels, stereotypes themselves are not offensive, but the context in which they are used can be. It is often convenient to limit thinking to stereotypes and forget about the fact they rarely represent the complete individual. It is also possible to skew the ideas or presentations within a stereotype, to meet the aims of people misrepresenting the stereotype. One of the main reasons for doing this is because it's easy to dehumanise people with stereotypes - and that makes it easier to ignore, disrespect, hate, or even kill them without thinking too much about it.

I'm a gamer, and it's something I am proud of. It's something that has been a big part of my life. There may be a lot of negative perceptions about gamers, but I can guarantee that they've got it wrong. It seems like the media still wants to demonise gaming in every form, yet games originally evolved as, and continue to be, one of the most effective learning tools humanity has available to it. Gamers are superior to equivalent non-gamers in terms of skills and abilities because of gaming. Admittedly there has been a lot of dumbing down of games, both to cater for a more casual audience, and because the idea that games can only be for entertainment value seems to have been top priority in an industry pumping out committee-based designs catering to the more base instincts of human nature, but even so, gaming can and will remain important in society.

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
This, and "has broken one piece of expensive home electronics due to game rage"...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
However yes it's entirely in jest :p But to be honest, if you play games you're a gamer. But being a gamer is just one of the many things you can be of course.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
(This is all in jest)
All day (16-24 hours) gaming session
Have at least one game that you will defend to the death
Raged on at least one forum
Dropped an embarrassing amount money at an arcade when caught up in a game
Ended a friendship over something game related
Shockingly enough I'd put all of those on my 'gamer CV'.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
Quite simply it is find a game/genre/series that you enjoy and have fun.

The title of gamer is a broad brush that covers far too many to say that, "you must do this to be considered a real gamer".

What makes someone that plays Farmvile not a gamer? Aren't they playing a game and enjoying their time? What makes them so different from someone who spends their evenings on Counter Strike?

Sure, those two games are in different genres and are aimed at different demographics. But, at the end of the game the players of both games are gamers.