Research Finds Negative Effects in Violent Videogames

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Jesus, people get really angsty when someone suggests that maybe vidja games might be negative.
I don't believe the study either, but really, guys, chill.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
The real irony here is that the comments about the article support and confirm the conclusions in the article, specifically about long-term "exposure". I find that rather fascinating. I can just imagine this Ohio State professor looking at the various gaming culture websites' public reactions as a secondary phase of this study.

The question becomes: is it exposure to the games, or the internet itself that causes such reactions? I shall continue my independent research. Thank you all for participating.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009

With that said, I'm not gonna deny this study just because it is uncomfortable to hear.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Is it really because the specific games in the study were violent games, or because they were just games that use The Computer is a Cheating Bastard [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard] mechanics?

Those games are pretty much guaranteed to create an increase in my homicidal tendencies, regardless of the actual genre of game.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I'd be interested in the aggression of the violent game players after another three days of not playing. The article doesn't say they tested that.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I hate to be that guy, but...

Could they do a study with the same number of people regarding fundamentalist religions? I'd like to see the benchmark comparisons, that's all.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
I am a firm believer that if violent people ARE playing these games then at least they are being violent to digital people and not their neighbor or someone they happen to pass on the street.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Olrod said:
Is it really because the specific games in the study were violent games, or because they were just games that use The Computer is a Cheating Bastard [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard] mechanics?

Those games are pretty much guaranteed to create an increase in my homicidal tendencies, regardless of the actual genre of game.

you asshole You linked to tv tropes have you no soul Its like rick rolling but your trapped all day
-just teasing-

The study looks dodgy the sample size seems to small

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
jollybarracuda said:
Seems like pretty valid research. I guess the big issue though has never been "do games make people aggressive" but "do video games make people violent", two very different things, the latter of which is a lot harder to test because of human ethic laws and such silliness (kidding, of course).

But a lot of this research does seem to be pointing to the possibility that someone with pre-existing violent behaviors could, theoretically, become more prone to releasing that violence on people, with an increase in aggression caused by violent video games. Should be interesting to see where this research leads in a few years, and if we'll ever actually see a noticeable decline in violent games in the future.
Yeah in a nutshell. Yeah games can make us aggressive, but they don't make us KILL people.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah sorry this isn't a serious piece of research, I read 20 minutes and just stopped bothering. 20 minutes is not going to effect shit, and having them write a little story after playing a blood pumping game is pretty much dumb logic anyway, they're going to be more pent up because, y'know, stimuli. Come on science, you used to be cool.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
CommanderL said:
Olrod said:

you asshole You linked to tv tropes have you no soul Its like rick rolling but your trapped all day
-just teasing-

I know, I fell into my own trap. I just spent two hours on there after making that comment...

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Not this again...

Seriously? We are still discussing this?

BTW, I get a lot more angry, stressed and frustrated when playing DiRT 2, compared to MW4. The game is HARD and I hate it every time I crash (or when the stupid AI crashes into me...), whereas MW4 is linear, straight forward and much more predictable (hence less stressful).

Now forgive me, but I need to stop typing and go clean my butcher knife from all the human blood it has. You see, I've played violent video games for over two decades now (Wolfenstein 3D, the original one, included), so I tend to be violent with other people...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It does seem obvious that somebody who has been playing violent games, or exposing themselves to any sort of violent media, is more likely to think about violent things. Equally if you read fifty shades of grey maybe you'd pick some kinky things to happen in the story. The blast of noise stuff sounds pretty interesting though. I wonder if frustration with games mechanics might be more to do with it. I mean comparing COD4 to a racing game like Dirt, 3 shots and your dead is pretty frustrating whereas in a racing game you always have a chance to catch up.

I'm definitely thinking about this with a defensive mindset but there must be some better way to measure this sort of thing.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
CommanderL said:
Olrod said:

-just teasing-

As somebody doing a study this year involving participants, YOU try finding a bigger sample size. It is bloody hard to recruit people. It's not like other subjects where you can just do more. You have to get your study past the university ethics board, you need to find recruits, you need to make sure it's clear that it is totally fine for them to drop out of the study at any time if they want... It's a major hassle.

TheCinnamonBun

Oct 12, 2012
Hmm i have a couple of hundred hours on Skyrim and New Vegas, guess that means im gonna go on a shooting rampage now because i cant hold down the aggressive psychopathic monster that has built its self into existance because i play violent video games...

m19

Jun 13, 2012
Seems like common sense. If you watch a dark and depressing movie your state of mind is going to be dark and depressive afterwards. If you watch a warm and fuzzy movie you will feel warm and fuzzy. If violent video games is all you have to stimulate your mind and affect your thoughts than obviously that's not healthy.

Thing is most normal people know they've had enough when they've had enough. You can feel it when your craving for certain emotions has been satisfied.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Oh look another study that wanted to prove a point so they did research to prove that only. Did they compare the results of playing games against reading a violent book for the same time every day, or watching a violent movie, or having a angry conversation, or going through traffic with idiots all around you? NOPE! Why those results might show the same thing... That people who have ANY interaction that creates adrenaline and is not all warm and fuzzy will make you interact with your world different. ANYTHING that has any effect on you, elevated blood pressure or heart rate, will at least for a period of time change how you interact with the world around you.

Want to stop people from being violent? Put everyone in sensory deprivation tanks and lock all of us in. Or go waste time on something else and leave the damn gamers alone.

All this study wants to do is say that "oh well you are a bad person? Video games did that to you it is not your fault... You are not to blame..." Guess what dude you do something dumb? It is your fault. Get over it.