Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
dscross said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm nearing the end of the game, and I just got past the difficulty spike. Holy shit, do you need to have Carlos' perfect shoulder rush down if you want to make it through that on Hardcore. That or somehow have 3 grenades on hand.
Do you mean at the end of the hospital with Carlos? I've had a go on the game now (on hard) but I gave up on it late last night because I died a few times as I was nearing the end of this part - I'll try again after work. This part reminds me A LOT of Leon's campaign from RE6. The sewers did as well. And there are parts that remind me of Jake's campaign too. I'm finding the boss fights painfully boring, which also reminds me of certain parts of RE6.

I liked the downtown area a lot though near the start. Some great moments, and they used nemesis well in those parts. I wish they would have made the game more centered around that and expanded the uptown area etc.

Miss ink ribbons and lack of ammo. I'll try it on nightmare afterwards, although I won't look forward to the bosses having to take EVEN MORE damage.
Yeah, that's the one. Carlos doesn't have a weapon with blow back, so fighting those Hunters requires you being able to perform his shoulder rush well enough or having a couple of grenades on hand.

A lot of really fucking annoying bits in the game became a lot more manageable my second time around. Still some fucking terrible design decisions though, like the Drain Deimos area. 'Hey, let's make a little maze area with bug enemies that spawn indefinitely, are the same texture as the floor, walls, and ceiling. And what the hell, let's also make it dark and have the camera zoomed in really close to the playable character so you can barely see the ceiling at all. Oh, and less we forget, we MUST make sure to have these bugs hone in on you when you're holding down the button to activate the breakers. And poison ofcourse, let's not forget the poison.'
Yeah, that section can be a downer. During my hardcore run, I did not get poisoned, but, two Drain Deimos put me in a stun loop and I went from regular fine to danger after the third hit. I had to use one of my green and red herb combos. All I have to say is the shotgun is your best friend in that section and dodging them is a matter of reflex. They're actually one of the easiest enemies to dodge once you know how they work. Still no less annoying though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CoCage said:
Yeah, that section can be a downer. During my hardcore run, I did not get poisoned, but, two Drain Deimos put me in a stun loop and I went from regular fine to danger after the third hit. I had to use one of my green and red herb combos. All I have to say is the shotgun is your best friend in that section and dodging them is a matter of reflex. They're actually one of the easiest enemies to dodge once you know how they work. Still no less annoying though.
It's also a really bad design to have Jill go through a vommiting animation after curing herself of parasites. Nearly everytime this has happened it left me wide open to get attacked again.

And while I'm at it, it really bugs me that when you pick up any new item, the game then kicks you out of the inventory screen. You can't leave the inventory screen open and combine your newly received item (like a gun part for instance); you're forced out of the inventory screen once you got the item, and you have to go back in in order to combine. It's stupid, because RE2 Remake didn't force you out, it just left it open for you so you could immediately take stock of what you had and combine on the spot.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, that's the one. Carlos doesn't have a weapon with blow back, so fighting those Hunters requires you being able to perform his shoulder rush well enough or having a couple of grenades on hand.
I'm finally passed it. Man, that was an ordeal on Hardcore. That will be a killer on the two higher difficulties. It's not scary though, it's just frustrating.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I beat the game, which means I'm obliged to talk about it and force all of you to listen to me.

For starters, I'm going to give my ranking of the series as it now stands for reference, so:

17) Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps
16) Resident Evil Gaiden
15) Resident Evil: Resistance
14) Resident Evil: Survivour
13) Resident Evil: Outbreak File 2
12) Resident Evil: Dead Aim
11) Resident Evil: Outbreak
10) Resident Evil (original)
9) Resident Evil Zero
8) Resident Evil Code: Veronica
7) Resident Evil 3 (remake)
6) Resident Evil 5
5) Resident Evil 2 (original)
4) Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
3) Resident Evil 2 (remake)
2) Resident Evil (remake)
1) Resident Evil 4

I'm not going to say anything else about Resistance bar what I think I've said already - it's a mix of Umbrella Corps and Outbreak, and fails to capture the strengths of both, even though it's less wretched than the former. If Capcom wants to deliver DLC in a manner similar to RE2, I'd much rather it be singleplayer stuff. Like, Ghost Survivours for UBCS members. Heck, I might even pay money for it. Just don't waste your time with Resistance. The co-op of RE5 aside, it seems like Capcom struck a nugget with Outbreak, if not a gold vein, and has instead dug up numerous holes instead of refining their mining in the original site.

So. The remake...

Huh. It's weird. If I look at the original trilogy, my ranking goes 3>2>1, whereas in the 'remake trilogy' (yes, I know, RE1 is separate from RE2/3 here), the preference goes 1>2>3. According to my scores, I had 8 hours of total playtime, and nearly 6 hours of in-game playtime (I assume they don't count cutscenes?), so I don't feel short-changed as far as raw time goes. That's a similar time period to my A run playthrough of RE2, so while RE3 offers less than its predecessor, and strips out the alternate routes as well, I don't feel I wasted my time or money. That said, this is still a remake, and it's a remake that's the least faithful to its original template, and cuts out the most. And it's also the only case where I think the original still stands above its predecessor. Yeah, the remake improves a lot, but it's just missing too much.

Y'know what occurred to me in NEST 2 while playing through it? I think the lack of a "Nemesis" subtitle here is intentional, or at least, indicative. In the original, Nemesis turned up far more, felt like a constant presence, and retained his 'core form' for most of the game. As in, he remained humanoid right till the end. Here, he spends just as much time as a xenomorph knockoff, and there's less a sense of being stalked, not to mention how he even got into NEST 2 in the first place when he's that big. In the original, Nemy felt core to the experience, here, he's simply part of the experience. And as fun as it was to fight Nemy in a giant arena environment, it's still a giant arena environment meant to invoke the feeling of a game, whereas the original version of the fight felt less artificial. And the final fight? Yeah, it's fun, but not only are we bereft of "you want STARS? I'll give you STARS," somehow, holding a railgun down Nemy's gullet doesn't have the same impact as bombarding him with revolver rounds.

On the subject of that, y'know how people played RE2, and said that Mr. X could provide the foundation of a Terminator game? I got the same feeling here, just replace Nemy with a xenomorph which turns into a queen by the end.

Finally, Nicholai. I really don't know what to make of this guy. Like, there's the core of a character there (sociopath), but here, it's expressed much differently. I mean, I kind of enjoyed it, along with the broken English that comes out of him, but it makes him a much less effective villain in my eyes. Also, he's almost certainly dead, while in the original canon, it was implied that he survived. Also, it introduces the mystery of who he was really working for, and it's left as a plot hook, but I don't know how it's going to be solved. Not as a game, and certainly not as a remake. I dunno, maybe they're planning to do a Code: Veronica remake, where it'll be revealed that Nicholai was working for Wesker or something, and Chris will discover it in a file, but I don't particuarly care. I know what happens to Umbrella, and we know how it collapsed. Nicholai's mystery employer isn't some great mystery to me. What I'll remember from Nicholai more than anything else is him kicking down Jill into the arena like some Roman emperor who speaks in a Russian accent.

So, yeah. Despite all of this, I did enjoy the game. After finishing it last night, my first inclination was to dive back in. Short version is, I don't have that many gripes with the game in of itself. It's certainly fun. But it's still a remake, and in the shadow of that remake, when I consider what it left out, and what it changed, that's where it comes up short. And frankly, I don't see the need for any more remakes, but given the post-credits teaser and comments from Capcom, I wouldn't be surprised to see Code: Veronica come next.

Yay...

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
dscross said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm finally passed it. Man, that was an ordeal on Hardcore. That will be a killer on the two higher difficulties. It's not scary though, it's just frustrating.
It is, by an enormous margin, the least fun part of the whole game on higher difficulties. I had to vent about it for a while when I cleared it the first time. Why is the camera so close to her! It makes it impossible to survey the entire area ahead... the only method I found that worked was to just scream "screw it!" and charge forward at full speed, quickly pulling up my shotgun to blast any deimos that happen to appear in front of me. I was eventually able to make it through the segment only spending one healing item (outside the one a cutscene forces you to use) and 4 shotgun shells... but that was after attempting the segment five times.

Also, having time to ruminate on things, I decided I do, in fact, have *one* final complaint about the game:

At least on hardcore, the boss fights last WAY too long. Nemesis is such a damage sponge that it takes so long to bring him down... way past the point where the fight has become tedious. Bear in mind, I said 'long', not 'difficult'. He's not especially hard to beat in any of his encounters... which kind of makes it worse. By the time I finished the game I had a chest full of healing items I never ended up using... but I still dreaded fighting nemesis because I knew it would be such an ordeal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Beat hardcore mode 40 minutes ago. Got a ton of unlock points. Hardcore is still challenging, but nowhere near as tough as RE2's Hardcore. I got so much ammunition at the end. Especially the magnum ammo. I saved so much of the high grade gunpowder, with a little help from the gunpowder mixer perk (gives you extra ammo when mixing). Nemesis gets a bit cheap on his penultimate fight. Dude killed me in his 3rd phase and constantly had me in a stun-lock and I could not bring up items menu, because of it. They should patch that up. I tried a little bit of Nightmare mode and it is insanely difficult. Weapons are placed in different spots, more or different enemies spawn, and all of them are faster and more aggressive than the lower difficulties. I think I might hold off for now.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
Casual Shinji said:
If you have two grenades for the Hunters it's actually pretty easy (on Hardcore anyway). The zombies go down easy enough, and once the breaker room opens up you can hide in there with a clear view of the barricade. It also prevents those parasite heads from getting you as easily.

Speaking of which, can we talk about how fucking shitty those enemies are? Jesus Christ! There's no way to anticipate those tentacle attacks AND they can reach you from, like, 10 fucking yards away. They also stun-lock the shit out of you. It made me realize how well designed as a mechanic the parasite heads in Resident Evil 4 actually were.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I finished the game yesterday and was very pleased with it, the final Nemesis fight was a pain though. Still I got through it without death, which is where my confusion of the ranking system comes in.

I decided to restart and make sure I went for the best challenges to earn points for the shop. I didn't save or use the item box. I didn't die and kept my healing use to the bare minimum. Took me a little over four hours to finish.

The game gave me a C? I'm guessing time is a very important factor when it comes to the ranking the game gives you. It seems rather harsh though when running away is more of a necessity than usual when you need to avoid even the chance of damage.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
votemarvel said:
the final Nemesis fight was a pain though.
Really? I found the final boss fight the easiest in the game.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the final boss at the moment (on Hard). Haven't quite finished yet but I know enough to know it ranks lower than nearly all of the mainline titles for me. It didn't do the original game justice at all. They had so much to work with and they hardly used any of it. I think people are cutting the game too much slack.

At the end of the day, I'm sad they cut out all of my favourite bits - not just the iconic locations, but all the classic resi-style puzzles and especially the backtracking. In some ways, once the game reaches the half way point, it sort of feels EVEN LESS resident evil than 4 because of lack of backtracking, and I have criticised 4 in the past. It feels like a hybrid of the later action games. This game could have been so much more and I think all the people sticking up for it right now would actually probably have liked it a lot more if they'd have respected the source material. I'm no longer excited for any more remakes. They will spoil them.

Having said that, I enjoyed it and I'll replay it. It's a good game in its own right. But you would expect the game to be decent as it was based on such an amazing classic game and uses the RE Engine, which is great. But there's so much wasted potential I simply can't overlook that.

Oh well. My disappointment aside, here's my current rankings. (I don't dislike any of these tbf. It's still great franchise. Revelations 2 is pretty good even though I put it last). For me, the new remake ranks lower than any of classic style ones (yes, including zero) and also lower than 4 or 7 - but higher than 5, 6 or either of the revelations games.

15. Resident Evil: Revelations 2
14. Resident Evil 5
13. Resident Evil 6
12. Resident Evil: Revelations
10. Resident Evil 3 (remake)
9. Resident Evil Zero
8. Resident Evil 4
7. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
6. Resident Evil 2 (remake)
5. Resident Evil (original)
4. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
3. Resident Evil Code: Veronica
2. Resident Evil 2 (original)
1. Resident Evil (remake)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
dscross said:
I'm on the final boss at the moment (on Hard). Haven't quite finished yet but I know enough to know it ranks lower than nearly all of the mainline titles for me. It didn't do the original game justice at all. They had so much to work with and they hardly used any of it. I think people are cutting the game too much slack.

At the end of the day, I'm sad they cut out all of my favourite bits - not just the iconic locations, but all the classic resi-style puzzles and especially the backtracking. In some ways, once the game reaches the half way point, it sort of feels EVEN LESS resident evil than 4 did, and I have criticised 4 in the past. It feels like a hybrid of the later action games. This game could have been so much more and I think all the people sticking up for it right now would actually probably have liked it a lot more if they'd have respected the source material. I'm no longer excited for any more remakes. They will spoil them.

Having said that, I enjoyed it and I'll replay it. It's a good game in its own right. But you would expect the game to be decent as it was based on such an amazing classic game and uses the RE Engine, which is great. But there's so much wasted potential I simply can't overlook that.

Oh well. My disappointment aside, here's my current rankings. (I don't dislike any of these tbf. It's still great franchise. Revelations 2 is pretty good even though I put it last). For me, the new remake ranks lower than any of classic style ones (yes, including zero) and also lower than 4 or 7 - but higher than 5, 6 or either of the revelations games.

14. Resident Evil 5
13. Resident Evil 6
9. Resident Evil Zero
8. Resident Evil 4
Your the second person I have seen that puts Code-Veronica above Zero. (the first being Johnny) and I still disagree and believe Code:Veronica is the worse then Zero.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Samtemdo8 said:
Your the second person I have seen that puts Code-Veronica above Zero. (the first being Johnny) and I still disagree and believe Code:Veronica is the worse then Zero.
I love zero, don't get me wrong. I really like all the games I've ordered from 9 and above. I completed it multiple times. Just I've replayed a lot of them recently and it's the ones I enjoy replaying the most, basically, is how I've ordered them. Zero can be a bit of a drag to replay, at times, in my opinion. I'm more surprised you didn't comment that I'd put 6 above 5. lol.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
dscross said:
14. Resident Evil 5
13. Resident Evil 6
9. Resident Evil Zero
8. Resident Evil 4
You know, I could swear that I saw a ranking of yours that put RE4 much lower.

I guess the questions that come to mind (for me) is why 6 is better than 5, and why Revelations 2 is so low.

Samtemdo8 said:
Well, someone didn't look at my ranking where I ranked it similarly.

But, yeah, I consider Code: Veronica to be above Zero. CV's main sin for me is that it's dull. Zero's main sin is that it's frustrating. I'll take dullness over frustration any day of the week, thanks.

dscross said:
I really like all the games from 9 and above.
But that includes 4?

This isn't meant to be a "gotcha!" moment, I just thought you really disliked that game.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
But that includes 4?

This isn't meant to be a "gotcha!" moment, I just thought you really disliked that game.
I recently replayed all the mainline action style resi's and 4 grew on me a lot. I still don't like it for what it did to the franchise because I still like the old style of game a lot more, as they are my fav types of game, but now that a lot of time has passed I can appreciate it more for what it is, finally. I feel the same way about 6 having played that again recently and realising it can be quite fun if you take it for what it is.

At the end of the day, it still took the franchise in a direction I didn't want it to go at the time. But yeah, I've changed my opinion recently on RE4, RE5, and RE6. I can enjoy them for what they are. A guy can change his opinions right? lol.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
votemarvel said:
I finished the game yesterday and was very pleased with it, the final Nemesis fight was a pain though. Still I got through it without death, which is where my confusion of the ranking system comes in.

I decided to restart and make sure I went for the best challenges to earn points for the shop. I didn't save or use the item box. I didn't die and kept my healing use to the bare minimum. Took me a little over four hours to finish.

The game gave me a C? I'm guessing time is a very important factor when it comes to the ranking the game gives you. It seems rather harsh though when running away is more of a necessity than usual when you need to avoid even the chance of damage.
Time is one of the most important factors for grade, yeah. assuming it's like other RE games, up to 2 hours is S rank. Number of saves also counts against your score, as does the number of first aid sprays you use, though I don't believe herbs count against you... if they do, not as much as first aid sprays.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
I guess the questions that come to mind (for me) is why 6 is better than 5, and why Revelations 2 is so low.
At first, I agreed with the consensus that 6 was a lot worse than 5, but having replayed them recently, I remembered that there were quite a few bits I liked in 6. Leon's campaign. was alright. Ada's campaign was pretty great. Chris's campaign was boring. Jake's campaign was just ok. I can happily replay Ada's campaign and I grew to like parts Leon's campaign. I still think resi 5's more consistent, but I there was certain parts of 6 I enjoyed a lot more, even though there were parts I really didn't like.

As for revelations 2, I dunno, I just don't feel the need to replay it, certainly compared to revelations 1 but even less so than resi 5 and 6 on reflection. I've graded these mainly on how much I like to replay them and I'm really not that bothered about replaying revelations 2 again, even though I liked it at the time. I'd pretty much re-complete most of the others happily. Does that answer your question? Where would you put the revelations games? I noticed they weren't in your rankings.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
dscross said:

At the end of the day, I'm sad they cut out all of my favourite bits - not just the iconic locations, but all the classic resi-style puzzles and especially the backtracking. In some ways, once the game reaches the half way point, it sort of feels EVEN LESS resident evil than 4 did, and I have criticised 4 in the past. It feels like a hybrid of the later action games. This game could have been so much more and I think all the people sticking up for it right now would actually probably have liked it a lot more if they'd have respected the source material. I'm no longer excited for any more remakes. They will spoil them.

14. Resident Evil 5
13. Resident Evil 6
9. Resident Evil Zero
8. Resident Evil 4
You forgot about me. I also consider Zero the worst mainline RE game. CV is dull game of not much consequence. "Let's take down Umbrella!" Except, none of the protagonist do. It was Wesker, and the asshole villain from Dead Aim that did the job for them. Which has always been a problem with RE's story. Nearly every major plot point lined up for the next game is usually ignored and never mentioned again, ends anti-climatically, or filled with many retcons. Who's Ada Wong and her benefactors? Nada and never explored since starting in 2. Neo Umbrella? Organization dies off-screen in 7, despite 6 implying many members are still active, despite Simmons death. Jake will be the new leading man? Nope, it's some generic guy looking for his wife. The betrayers (Double Quadruple Reverse Agents) in Rev1 who are all Ada wannabes who work for their own secret shady organization? Never followed up ever again! With Rev2, even the good ending implying some form of Alex Wesker's conscience exists in Natalia. Does Capcom follow up on it? Hell, no! Instead we get the CG movie, Vendetta, RE7, and no Revelations 3 in sight.

1. REmake 2
2. RE2
3. Evil Within 2
4. RE4
5. Remake
6. REmake 3
7. Evil Within
8. RE3
9. RE5
10. RE7
11. Original
12. RE6
13. Code Veronica
14. RE0

I've enjoyed REmake 3 despite its flaws. It has better pacing than og 3, and I love the dodge mechanic. Yes, some elements are lost (Mad Jackal, the multiple choices, Gravedigger), but I'm only upset about the former 2 missing. Always hated gravedigger and so glad I do not have to deal with the water treatment puzzle or the puzzles in the clock tower.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CoCage said:
I've enjoyed REmake 3 despite its flaws. It has better pacing than og 3, and I love the dodge mechanic. Yes, some elements are lost (Mad Jackal, the multiple choices, Gravedigger), but I'm only upset about the former 2 missing. Always hated gravedigger and so glad I do not have to deal with the water treatment puzzle or the puzzles in the clock tower.
I don't understand this argument about 'pacing' in this context. I don't believe old school Resident Evils are about 'pacing'. Backtracking, puzzles solving, getting lost/learning your surroundings, getting key items to progress, resource management and running away/dodging zombies is where it's at in old-school resident evils. I don't think the new version does much of that very well, except for possibly a little bit of the downtown area near the start and possibly a bit of the hospital if I'm being generous. In contrast, I think the RE2 Remake did those things VERY well on hardcore mode.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
CoCage said:
I don't understand this argument about 'pacing' in this context. I don't believe old school Resident Evils are about 'pacing'. Backtracking, puzzles solving, getting lost/learning your surroundings, getting key items to progress, resource management and running away/dodging zombies is where it's at in old-school resident evils. I don't think the new version does much of that very well, except for possibly a little bit of the downtown area near the start and possibly a bit of the hospital if I'm being generous. In contrast, I think the RE2 Remake did those things VERY well on hardcore mode.
Even when taking into account that RE3 Remake is more of an action game, it still has choppy pacing. RE4 is a straight-up action game and it has way better pacing.

RE3 Remake should've given us a city area to roam around in at the start of the game, instead of the cinematic intro. This would've given the player the oppertunity to familiarize themselves with the game's mechanics, so that Nemesis could be introduced in-game, just like Mr. X. The way he's introduced now with the scripted cinematic sequences deflates him of any tension or anxiety; That sequence where he grabs the concrete slab and starts chasing you? You can wait a full five seconds until he actually does. On repeat playthroughs especialy this intro becomes more and more of a drag.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
dscross said:
CoCage said:
In terms of not being in one spot for too long, is what I meant by pacing. And yes you can get through stuff quickly in the old RE games, if you know where all the items are, and what order to do them in. but there are plenty of puzzles in the old re games (0 & CV can both fuck off for this), and a couple in re2 remake that just waste your time and kill the pacing a bit on a first playthrough. I already mentioned the water treatment a music box puzzles in re3. In REmake 2, you have that weird key pad puzzle with the rectangular shapes in place of numbers, and that mixing solution puzzle against plant 43. I've you have the solutions memorized, or took a screenshot, they're easier to get through. But on the first time play through their frustrating. Especially when they change and solutions on the second run. Which is understandable, but it's pretty obvious padding. Most of the puzzles in Remake 3 are so simple, that they make Devil May Cry 3 and 4 puzzles complex by comparison.