Resident Evil 4 (REmake)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've heard, but it means juggling between knife durability and risk of health loss whenever an enemy goes for an attack. So I tend to just try and not let it get to that point. I have uprgraded the knife more than any other weapon so far though.
I got the timing down on the demo, but I do know parries are stricter on the harder of difficulties.

Probably should've just had a dedicated dodge, because the duck - and how rudimentary its animated and implemented - doesn't exactly come across as a proper means of avoiding attacks. I don't know, maybe it actually works wonders, but so far I've not been given much trust in it.
You think Capcom would have learned that lesson after using it in RE3 remake. Even Shadows of the Damned has a dedicated dodge button. My guess is that it was a deliberate design choice by a capcom, not to make Leon too powerful. That's the old school Capcom mentality right there. This does not surprise me in the slightest.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No, I don't think so, thank God.

By the way, what the hell is 'duck' even for? It isn't used for anything other than the one enemy you can stealth kill in bigger areas - afterward every other enemy will spot you and get the hornets nest going, at which point duck becomes useless - or for the ocassional, obligatory 'duck under this thing to progress'. It's not a movement option that feels fun or handy in any way, it just feels like it's there cuz 'look, Leon can duck now when he couldn't before, and stealth is sort of a thing in games, right?' Even the explossive tripwires you can just disarm without even needing to duck under them. 🤷‍♂️
You can duck under the Brute's swings, but the game treats it as another contextual QTE, and the prompt (crouch button) reads Dodge. So there's no real reason for a dedicated button.

With stealth, so far most sections allow one stealth kill before everybody's alerted (so what even is the point of the stealth kill?). Maybe there's a bigger emphasis on stealth later on. Honestly my knife is broken most of the time so I rarely can afford it. 4,000 pesetas to fix the knife is a rip off.

The rifle's sway is practically nonexistent. That's a plus. But the handgun feels unwieldy as fuck. I'm at 80% accuracy so far but it feels like I'm missing WAY more. Maybe knife kills are aggregated?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A few more hours in. Still in the village, which is nice as it makes the village feel nice and lengthy. Got to my first shooting range (yes, the shooting ranges are back), but to those who think this can be completely ignored... well, you're right, they can be, but it's worth a bit more now than it was before. The tokens you earn can give you charms, which will grant you small boons. Oh, and if you're like me and you're confused as to how to access these charms, it's via the typewriter.

I've already gotten back in the habit of using the handgun/shotgun/rifle combination during combat. The game tried to assure me of the boltgun's capabilities, but I'm an old mule and I want my usual.

I will say, that while I don't think the game looks bad, the RE engine really has some aliasing issues (on the PS5 at least). This gets really apparent when using a scope.

By the way, Mendez does look kinda like shit. Not 'shit' as in 'grimey, fugly monster man', but well, the opposite of that. He looks a little a little too plastic, and his eyes are too big and round. Sorta takes away from how intimidating the guy should be. Same goes for the dogs - their oversized teeth make 'm look like they're wearing Halloween masks.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
So I've played a little bit, not too far in, basically a little bit after you meet Lois Serra for the first time. And I can tell I have a smile on my face playing this, so far really enjoying this remake.

If I have one complaint and maybe its my own fault for picking normal mode. It could just be because its the start of the game, but I am just tripping over health, ammo, crafting materials and knives. It might get much more scarce the further I go but at the moment it is very generous with supplies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Started playing I am a little ways into Chapter 3.Just after the tower explodes and you have to find a way around while dealing with the wolves. I haven't died yet, but Normal is still not a walk in the park. I know the dynamic difficulty is part of the challenge. I got the handgun, shotgun, and rifle on me right now. I'm thinking about the TMP gun, but I am gonna hold off on that. I did upgrade my knife's durability, and I will put it at max. Handgun power I upgraded once.

I am liking all of the improvements made to the game. Being able to suplex villagers never gets old, nor does the ole Van Damme roundhouse kicks after a successful parry! I already like this game more than the original. It does suck you can't buy ammo anymore, because of the crafting system. That should have stayed. I'll play more at a later time, as I will be busy this weekend unfortunately.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If I have one complaint and maybe its my own fault for picking normal mode. It could just be because its the start of the game, but I am just tripping over health, ammo, crafting materials and knives. It might get much more scarce the further I go but at the moment it is very generous with supplies.
I'm playing on Hardcore, and while I do occasionally find my shotgun and handgun running close to becoming dry, I too still get a decent supply of ammo, crafting materials, and knifes. Sort of in line with the original game really. I remember playing on Professional and ammo and health never being a real issue. The only thing that made it truly hard were the QTEs being significantly more demanding than on Normal.

I feel the kitchen knifes you can pick up might've been a late addition in the developement of this game. Capcom probably realized or feared the default knife durability and the increased pricing to get it repeared wasn't as much fun for players, but by that point they probably didn't have time to try and rebalance it, so they just threw in some pick-up knifes to offset this.

By the way, I feel this game might've taking some visual and lore inspiration from Bloodborne. Once you reach the "bingo hide-out" you might as well be walking through a Bloodborne level.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I just got through the cabin sequence and I think it highlights a pretty big issue this game has, on the harder difficulty anyway. The combat is not that solid. It's just not where it needs to be for some of the situations you're placed in. Leon's recovery animations leave him open to other attacks, and you can't move or do shit when you're in that state. The head parasite can instantly kill you if you kill the wrong enemy at a sliver of your health, no safety window is granted, once it's out it immediately attacks - in the span of three seconds I had my head chopped off after shooting a guy (which turned out to be a parasite) with my shotgun.

And the camera can become a real b*tch during combat in tight confines - If enemies swarm you and you find yourself in a corner, you're pretty much fucked. The closeness of the camera also doesn't help, as many times attacks will just come from off screen, whether it's a lunge or a goon swinging a shovel at you. No indicators, no nothing. Leon's movement also feels sloppy and not right for the hectic sequences he's placed in.

In regular "calmer" enemy encounters things work well enough, but once the game actually throws you into one of the more punishing and tense situations things kinda fall apart.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Good (improvements)
-Weapon shortcuts.
-You can redirect ladder climbing animations up or down.
-Not only can you store weapons at typewriters (somehow), you can also e-mail them.
-Enemies can get stuck in their own mantraps.
-Enemy encounters instead of insta-death QTEs.
-They turned the lake area into a mini GoW Midgard. They even kept fishing, amazingly.
-While the game is still pretty linear, it feels less linear. Instead of stringing areas and encounters the levels tend to loop around, like the gorge and bayou areas. You can also revisit past areas more readily.

The Bad (downgrades)
-The whole knife situation.
-Wobbly Evil Within-style aiming.
-The Colmillos look like muppets.
-Not free ammo refill at the Merchant's.
-Cutscenes are dulled by dialogue, blocking and camerawork. It's by and large the same thing but bleached in RE2R and RE3R seriousness.
-Puzzles are laugh-worthy simplified. Example: the dead ringer thing at the church. In the original you surmise every gravestone, pick out the three duplicates, then have to rotate a dial by increments of threes and fours until you can highlight the three answers within a single spin. Here, you just shoot two gravestones for a prize.

The Whatever
-Merchant requests for premium currency for rewards. None of it is awful but it feels like busywork that takes you out of the flow by sending you back to the area you just cleared to mop up.
-

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

Resident Evil 4 is perhaps the most highly anticipated remake of the year - and it's not hard to see why, promising a full redesign of a highly decorated game with a ton of new content and reworked mechanics. It's an excellent-looking game too with fine-grained indirect lighting and attractive artwork. However, recent Resident Evil titles have suffered from awkward configurations on consoles with uncapped frame-rates and unimpressive ray tracing support. The RE Engine itself is powerful enough, but the deployment of its high-end features has raised some questions. So is Resident Evil 4 a step up from those prior efforts or does it repeat the sins of the past?

This is a technically dense game with a lot of interesting and bizarre technical minutiae, so let's try to keep it brisk. All current-gen consoles pack a frame-rate mode and a resolution mode, plus some other toggles that we'll address shortly. Both options target 60fps but image quality differs quite a bit - and not really in the ways that you'd expect. Series X, for its part, is pretty well-behaved.The frame-rate mode hits roughly 1800p and the resolution mode comes in at 2160p. The game appears to use a form of reconstruction to hit that output - very likely checkerboarding, based on the game's artifact patterns and the use of the technique in recent RE Engine games - and the results here are serviceable. The resolution mode is a bit clearer, though both options hold up pretty similarly at a typical viewing distance, especially given the dark and low-contrast game content which tends to suit a less precise look just fine.

The PS5 looks substantially blurrier in head-to-heads relative to Series X, although curiously, pixel counts in frame-rate mode actually seem higher, coming in at around 1944p, while the resolution mode clocks in at the same 2160p as its Xbox equivalent, again with checkerboarding engaged. Across opaque surfaces, the game has a slightly smeary representation of fine detail across both visual modes. More concerning though is the breakup on transparencies - when Leon's hair is moving, for instance, it has an aliased, half-resolution look, while Series X stays relatively coherent and free of jagged edges.

Every console version of Resident Evil 4 is tested in this extensive video. There's much to cover here, with all modes analysed on current-gen versions - plus the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions aren't left behind either.

I think something is amiss with the checkerboarding on PS5 that is creating issues here. Any scene with foliage is a bit of a noisy mess and SSAO shimmers quite a bit as well. It's not uniformly bad to be fair, and a lot of scenes look perfectly fine - it's really just that resolve on transparent elements that is needs some work.

This becomes especially clear when we look at Xbox Series S. Despite rendering at lower resolutions - a 1080p resolution in frame-rate mode, with a 1440p pixel-count in resolution mode, again with what looks like a checkerboard reconstruction - Series S has about the same amount of aliasing on fine transparencies like hair as the PS5 release. The console expectedly is a bit soft but it otherwise looks fine considering the hardware. Outside of image quality, there are a handful of odd differences that separate these modes. Series S takes a hit in texture quality in spots, which seems fairly minor in most instances in the resolution mode.

Resident Evil 4 on current-gen consoles uses a mix of cubemaps and screen-space reflections to represent reflections by default. The SSR is drawn all the way to the bottom of the screen - occlusion issues be damned! - and there's often a big difference in colour between the SSR and the underlying cubemap. However, if you turn on the resolution mode on Series X or PS5 and keep RT off, the SSR no longer seems to be present. It's a baffling issue. To be honest, the low-quality SSR mostly detracts from the visuals, so I'd prefer that it was removed entirely from the game on consoles - or at least another option to toggle. Finally, there is an option for 'lens distortion with chromatic aberration', which softens and distorts the image on all platforms and is enabled by default. I'd advise turning this off regardless of the platform you're playing on, but PS5 seems particularly heavily affected, with an especially soft and low resolution resolve.

1679764580132.png

Factoring in RT and hair strand options, PS5 and Series X have a total of four different visual configuration options, which reduces to just two on Series S. On the last-gen machines, PS4 has just one mode, while the Pro offers performance and resolution options.

There are two additional options on PS5 and Series X - an option to enable strand-based hair, and an toggle to enable ray-tracing, bringing those consoles to an effective total of eight visual modes. The hair strands option should really be skipped over: the card-based hair used by default actually has a more detailed appearance and is more realistically shaded with a glossy look that suits Leon's smooth straight hair. The strand-based hair has a matte appearance instead, which feels less plausible given his hair characteristics and clashes with representations of Leon in other media and can suffer from odd lighting in some circumstances as it often looks too bright. If you look closely, the hair cards have more limited and uniform movement than the strand-based hair, but otherwise, the more compute-heavy option seems less attractive overall.

Ray tracing, in contrast, does improve the game's presentation, though it's not a slam-dunk win. Unlike recent RE titles which also feature RT global illumination, this option appears to offer only RT reflections, which have a limited impact on the overall visuals. Bodies of water usually look more realistic, though I did note some off-putting issues occasionally at a distance. The effect appears to render at a low resolution, and is only enabled on a very limited number of surfaces. I couldn't spot its use anywhere but on water. Series S doesn't seem to feature either the hair strands or ray-tracing graphical options, as neither are noted in the game's menu. However, toggling the resolution mode on does turn on ray-traced reflections, albeit at a very low resolution with no option to turn it off. Again, Resident Evil 4 is just chock-full of strange and undocumented visual issues.

In terms of performance, Resident Evil 4 operates on a sliding scale, with frame-rates dropping further the more visual toggles you enable. The game essentially operates with unlocked performance if you run it with anything but the default frame-rate mode with no options toggled. However, that's not to say that the default mode is perfect. Looking at Series X first, the game frequently drops frames, particularly in larger fights, like the demanding village encounter towards the start of the game. It's mostly 60fps, but the drops are noticeable. Resolution mode basically runs uniformly worse, often hitting frame-rates in the low-to-mid 40s, while turning everything on will degrade performance to the mid 30s at worst in tougher shots. It's a pretty unimpressive turnout, and there's no frame-rate cap to engage to keep things consistent.

Chromatic aberration is poorly implemented in all versions, meaning it should be disabled in the menus. It has a particularly damaging effect on PS5 image quality, which is already sub-par compared to Series X, despite similar (if not higher) resolutions. Click on the image above for a closer look.

PS5 is much the same, but the overall frame-rate is higher than the Series X equivalent. The village fight only suffers a few significant drops in the frame-rate mode for instance. The resolution mode bottoms out in the high 40s and the all-dressed option hits the low 40s. It's not great, but it is a noticeably better performer. Series S runs worse than either of the two premium machines. The frame-rate mode spends extended periods between 50fps and 60fps and the resolution mode bottoms out in the low 30s - although the resolution mode on Series S packs RT as well as I mentioned earlier. There are only two modes here - not the eight modes of the other platforms - although only the frame-rate mode feels OK in typical gameplay.

My recommendation for most players would be to stick with the default frame-rate mode on current-gen machines, perhaps toggling ray tracing on or moving to resolution mode if you have a VRR display and are fine with slightly lower performance. Xbox players have more latitude to push visual fidelity, given the consoles' larger VRR windows at 120Hz output, but those options still come at a noticeable cost to fluidity. I'm not really happy with the performance on display here or the complicated visual options, which should probably have been simplified to a 60fps mode and a 30fps mode with additional resolution and visual features. The game just doesn't have a very console-like configuration in its current state.

Plus, performance in the frame-rate mode on PS5 and Series X is still below expectations and Series S suffers further still. Even if Capcom doesn't untangle the mess of visual options here, the developer should tackle the frame-rate problems that plague even the game's fastest-running configurations. In addition to these issues, I did notice some occasional visual bugs - like problems with the water surface and some oddly-lit textures, both of which popped up on Series X in my testing, with both shown in the video embedded up top.

This is the extent to which you need to push the analogue sticks on Xbox Series X and PS5 to produce motion. All Xbox consoles have a massive deadzone issue that really needs to be addressed.

Resident Evil 4 also suffers from issues with controller response on Xbox as the Series consoles have an absolutely massive deadzone that makes the game feel strange and sluggish. I have to push the right stick about 40 percent through its range of motion to get any feedback on-screen whatsoever, whereas on PS5 I barely have to move it at all to get a response. Neither platform feels perfect and the game has a slightly laggy feel in general, but the Series machines seem to have a big configuration issue on top of that which should be addressed.

Despite my complaints about the way Resident Evil 4 has been delivered, there's no doubt that it's an excellent-looking title, which did leave me in doubt about last-gen consoles. Capcom is only shipping the game on PS4 and PS4 Pro, skipping the Xbox One platforms perhaps owing to performance concerns, or maybe simply down to return on investment. So can the base PS4 really deliver this level of visual complexity in a cross-gen game? It's a bit complicated. On the one hand, the basic visual feature set seems fairly close. Just running around the gameworld, everything looks about as it should. It's actually an impressive effort on PS4 taken on the whole, with solid visuals considering its cross-gen origins.

However, on closer inspection, there are some inevitable cutbacks. Firstly, texture resolution has been cut down across the board, with much lower-res artwork on PS4. Most surfaces look quite a bit less detailed on the last-gen machine. Texture streaming also suffers on PS4. It often takes about 10 seconds for higher-resolution texture assets to swap in with low-resolution placeholders in place for that duration. Even when the final assets are in place the results aren't great, but it does seem like the PS4's limited CPU and storage resources are throwing up some unexpected issues here.

Aside from its unlocked, inconsistent performance, the PS4 and Pro versions of Resident Evil 4 are quite impressive. It's the big impact to texture quality and lighting that is most noticeable.

Lighting also gets an understandabledowngrade. Indirectly lit scenes sometimes look very different with less detailed GI, which is especially noticeable outdoors. I did note that dynamic lights sometimes didn't cast shadows on PS4 in places where current-gen consoles do exhibit shadows as well, although not all light sources are shadow-casting on the more powerful machines either. There doesn't seem to be any screen-space reflections on PS4 either and sub-surface scattering is absent as well.

On top of that, foliage on PS4 is static and doesn't seem to bend with the movement of the wind at all. Current-gen platforms have effective, if often subtle, foliage animation that is completely absent on PS4, which does stick out in outdoor game areas. Enemies also suffer from animation issues, with foes at a distance running at reduced animation rates in order to reduce the CPU burden. The opening village fight is a good example, with a heavy use of half-rate animation. This was a common concession in prior Resident Evil games on consoles, but it seems especially obvious here.

Finally, resolution gets cut back to 1600x900 in the PS4's sole visual mode, though it doesn't seem to use reconstruction. Image quality is surprisingly respectable as a result, with a reasonable resolve on fine details. PS4 Pro is comparable to PS4 with similar visual cutbacks. Resolution clocks in at about 972p in the frame-rate mode, though the resolution mode seems to get bumped to a full 4K checkerboard. Resolution mode also gets somewhat denser foliage, though this is only really noticeable in side-by-sides.

For a more holistic look at the Resident Evil 4 remake, with a focus on its design revamp over the GameCube original, here's John Linneman's tech review.

PS4 has an unlocked frame-rate, just like the other console versions. The general run of play operates between 35fps and 50fps, so it tends to feel unstable. PS4 Pro's frame-rate mode is usually 60fps, but does drop in heavier moments, similar to the Series X. The Pro's resolution mode is the worst performer yet. The game is often hugging 30fps, with occasional dips to the 20s (this does zip up to 60fps if you fancy playing the PS4 Pro version on PS5!). The last generation PlayStation consoles definitely hand in a substantially compromised Resident Evil 4 experience - but the game is still playable and attractive enough on its own terms.

In summary, Resident Evil 4 is an excellent game and a very good-looking title that is unfortunately held back by issues with the basic game configuration. All of the issues from prior RE Engine console games seem to have returned here, alongside a convoluted set of visual options and other problems. Expect reconstruction artifacts, sub-60fps performance with no 30fps cap option, visual glitches, a strand-based hair option that looks worse than the default, image quality issues on PS5, very limited RT, poor and inconsistent option documentation, ugly screen-space reflections and controller response problems.

That's the bad news. In its favour, Resident Evil 4 is a solid game and there is a lot of visual accomplishment on display. It's just a shame that there are so many smaller issues - many of them completely unexpected and very strange - that dampen the overall experience. There's the sense that the fundamentals are there and that maby of the inconsistencies, bugs and oddities could be improved via title updates, so fingers crossed that we see some extra polish on this otherwise excellent game further on down the line. In the meantime, Digital Foundry coverage continues with a look at the PC rendition of the game - including optimised settings - next week.
Am gonna have to try turning off chromatic aberration next time if it is getting in the way like they say.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
-Puzzles are laugh-worthy simplified. Example: the dead ringer thing at the church. In the original you surmise every gravestone, pick out the three duplicates, then have to rotate a dial by increments of threes and fours until you can highlight the three answers within a single spin. Here, you just shoot two gravestones for a prize.
I don't see that as much of a loss. Most of the puzzles weren't that hard to begin with any way. They got even simpler with RE5 and RE6. They're a few fun teasers though that make you think for a second.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm at the precipice of saying 'fuck this game'. Unless Hardcore is somehow night-n-day compared Normal where it no longer has these frustrating design decisions. One small example (but one of many): I'm fighting a bunch of ganados on a narrow walkway, then one of those bullhead guys joins in. I blast him in the head with my shotgun till he finally goes down. He goes through a 4 second death animation while still standing up, and then while this completely obscures my view (again, narrow walkway) a ganado lunges straight through him with a pitchfork and kills me. Thanks game, like I could see that coming. If this was a one-off I could laugh it off, but dodgey shit like this happens constantly during combat. Attacks coming from off screen, Leon's damage animations playing out and letting enemies still attack you while you're incapacitated.

Oh, and then throw Ashley into that mix, who is now worse then ever. OG Ashley was a perfect little robot who followed you around effortlessly, and only messed up if you messed up. But now, oof. They felt the need to add a 'knocked down' state that requires you to help her up by getting close and clicking R3, but apart from this already being annoying on its own this helping her back up animation needs to play out which gives enemies time to just attack you or her again. There's a sequence where you have to run away with her from a plot-armored enemy, and then later the catapult section, and it is a fucking nightmare getting through that with her. This knock down shit is in place of her having a health bar, but it just makes things vastly more frustrating. She'll also get captured at the slightest enemy presence.

The visuals also don't help. Everything is washed out and greyish, enemies included, making snap decisions hard to make when you have a difficult time making out where the enemies are as shit's blowing up and burning all around you.

Yeah, this isn't it Capcom. This REALLY isn't it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I beat Chapter 3 and got the laser sight before it ended. I done with the blue medallion/spinel shit for now! Got what I need! I died once to a stupid grab halfway into the chapter. I got almost all upgrades for the pistol and knife.

EDIT: I got the large attaché case! I found the Red 9, and the Golden Egg during my treasure hunt! The Red 9 I am leaving for storage right now, and I might sell it. Because I want the exclusive upgrade for the hand gun. Halfway into Chapter 4 now.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't usually play remakes, I'm just curious. Also it looks like she is still wearing a miniskirt, so I'm not sure why it'd be different.
The game doesn't let you point your gun at Ashley at all, so there's no real way of reproducing that. Luis still flirts with her but there's no ballistics joke.

Speaking of Ashley, now that the cabin fight is over: the remake kinda botches what used to be the one of the best escort missions in gaming. I hate you can't ditch her in dumpsters anymore. Hate there's no telling her to WAIT either. You just toggle between Ashley being close and super close. Not a fan. She has no health bar (but she does have HP, and can be killed in fires/explosions) and will go Press-R3-to-help-up mode when damaged. I find she tends to get kidnapped a hell more often, but then the remake forces her more on the player than the original ever did.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of Ashley, now that the cabin fight is over: the remake kinda botches what used to be the one of the best escort missions in gaming. I hate you can't ditch her in dumpsters anymore. Hate there's no telling her to WAIT either. You just toggle between Ashley being close and super close. Not a fan. She has no health bar (but she does have HP, and can be killed in fires/explosions) and will go Press-R3-to-help-up mode when damaged. I find she tends to get kidnapped a hell more often, but then the remake forces her more on the player than the original ever did.
You can tell her to hide in lockers. I did that before starting the Bella Sisters fight. Made the fight so much easier.
There's a sequence where you have to run away with her from a plot-armored enemy
That part was easy for me; I used flash bangs. You're playing on Hardcore where enemies are even more aggressive, so it gets much worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am inside the castle now. I got the Riot Shotgun, and the silver sniper rifle. I already got almost both of them upgraded.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That part was easy for me; I used flash bangs. You're playing on Hardcore where enemies are even more aggressive, so it gets much worse.
It's more than enemies being more aggressive, things just aren't balanced well, and on Hardcore this becomes frustratingly clear. In that sequence you're meant to run away with Ashley close by you, but Ashely doesn't stay right by you anymore even when you tell her to, and she'd get cut off from me by the very ganados I was trying to run past.
And even when she's super close to you she still lags behind more than she should, and it serves to make her a huge target, because it's in that mode where enemies will relentlessly zero in on her. I've only come across one instance so far where Ashley could hide (and it isn't plot related) and it's pretty much a necessity, because of how easily she gets captured now she'd get killed within 5 seconds.