Nov 18, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's getting 10/10's everywhere. Which is great, they didn't fuck up the remake. Very nice.
I will give you a heads up: Mercenaries Mode is not an unlockable unfortunately. It'll be more than likely (🆓) DLC later. Ada's Separate Ways campaign is not in either, but that's understandable as it was not in the original release of the game either on GameCube. Otherwise, the game is great and excellently expanded upon.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I will give you a heads up: Mercenaries Mode is not an unlockable unfortunately. It'll be more than likely (🆓) DLC later. Ada's Separate Ways campaign is not in either, but that's understandable as it was not in the original release of the game either on GameCube. Otherwise, the game is great and excellently expanded upon.
OMG, so THAT'S what was going on with Ada campaign. I thought I was going crazy because I remember both playing as her and thinking it was a hoax.

Don't give a crap about Mercenaries, but can't want to play Separate Ways with the new controls

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OMG, so THAT'S what was going on with Ada campaign. I thought I was going crazy because I remember both playing as her and thinking it was a hoax.

Don't give a crap about Mercenaries, but can't want to play Separate Ways with the new controls
I'm actually the opposite. I care about Mercenaries (just not overly crazy), but don't care much for RE4 and post-RE4 Ada at all. I know Separate Ways isn't bad, but I began to really dislike the character in RE4 and afterward. Capcom didn't know what to do with her, and kept making the audience trying to like this "bad-ass anti-hero" who gets less likeable and less heroic the further you get into the franchise. And we still know nothing about her, nor whatever secret orgization she works. Not to mention, Ada has betrayed everyone at this point, even if it was for the "greater good". Wesker and Spencer are still the biggest backstabbers in the franchise, but clear villains you're not suppose to find sympathetic.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I played the demo. It's a bit disheartening that so much gameplay has been converted to cutscenes, like the very first zombie you fight or the part where Leon jumps out the window. The window jump was an optional thing in RE4, and regardless you got to fight the dudes instead of cutscening away. So now instead of allowing the game to naturally overwhelm you and force you to improvise, you just watch the movie version. Riveting stuff.

No dog to save (maybe they moved him). No tripwire. Only one puny bear trap. About the only improvement I discovered, accidentally, is that zombies are now susceptible to their own bear traps (+1). They speak actual Spanish from Spain now, instead of Mexican Spanish, if you care about that. As a native speaker I don't.

It's also handy you can toggle through weapons in real time instead of having to go into the inventory (+1).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

EDIT: Wah!wah!wah! It's serviceable! Wah!wah!wah! The remake is "too serious" and removes "too many" iconic moments! Wah!wah!wah! It's "too homogenized"! Not surprised in the slightest, nor do I care. I'll be off having fun when l get and play the game.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

EDIT: Wah!wah!wah! It's serviceable! Wah!wah!wah! The remake is "too serious" and removes "too many" iconic moments! Wah!wah!wah! It's "too homogenized"! Not surprised in the slightest, nor do I care. I'll be off having fun when l get and play the game.
Silly BrawlMan, we haven't played video games for fun in ages. It's all about finding things to complain about now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Silly BrawlMan, we haven't played video games for fun in ages.
Who's "we"? I've been having a ball since 2014 and prior to that. The critics on the other hand are too spoiled. I will give most of critics on reviewing RE4 Remake and explaining why they love it. In the Escapists and Yahtzee case (with many other gaming journalists as well), y'all just got done complaining about how there's nothing good to play. To the next follow up with there "too many games to play!" You all can't have it both ways. It's either, one, the other, or neither.

It's all about finding things to complain about now.
That's been there since 2007-08 in the early YT days. An era I am glad that since long passed, and was arguably worse back then. Plus, that's always been Yahtzee (tired) gimmick to complaining about everything when it's not that bad, or he's exaggerating, because he or certain others have nothing to fall back on. Too boring and too predictable Yahtz has become.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Honestly, I was planning on waiting a little while after release to get the game, but I might end up getting it sooner just so that I can have something to say about it that isn't just referring to what everyone else is saying. Also gives me an excuse to avoid the coverage, since I'd rather not have more spoilers than were in the trailers.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Honestly, I was planning on waiting a little while after release to get the game, but I might end up getting it sooner just so that I can have something to say about it that isn't just referring to what everyone else is saying. Also gives me an excuse to avoid the coverage, since I'd rather not have more spoilers than were in the trailers.
Many reviewers allude to "fresh twists". I wonder what the hell they could be referring to. So far most of the discourse on old vs new appears to focus on the stuff that has been REMOVED from the game rather than ADDED. Like they're not even allowed to bring up what's actually new with the game, aside what the demo and trailer already show.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I really hate the sound of breakable knives though...