Resident Evil 6 Review

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Baresark said:
I'm probably still gonna pick it up. I want to play it and even though the words have been harsh, it's still getting around a 7 or 8 from most sites, which still manages to be a good game, if not as good as I hoped for. I just don't honestly expect this to be a horror game, so I'll probably enjoy this game thoroughly still. If not, I can always go back to RE4 again.
Well, here's DESTRUCTOID's review with Jim Sterling.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
StrategyInformer - 8.0/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

I don't know about you, but when I only have $60 to spend on games, I start looking for reasons not to buy titles for a better value. Sifting the wheat.

Play the DEMO, and remember; after the fumbled camera controls and clunky game mechanics, you'll have plenty of Quick-time-Event to button mash your way to another movie scene. Better games are coming out.

And you don't owe a long standing series anything; it's their job to bring originality and innovation to the market.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
worldfest said:
Baresark said:
I'm probably still gonna pick it up. I want to play it and even though the words have been harsh, it's still getting around a 7 or 8 from most sites, which still manages to be a good game, if not as good as I hoped for. I just don't honestly expect this to be a horror game, so I'll probably enjoy this game thoroughly still. If not, I can always go back to RE4 again.

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

I don't know about you, but when I only have $60 to spend on games, I start looking for reasons not to buy titles for a better value. Sifting the wheat.

Play the DEMO, and remember; after the fumbled camera controls and clunky game mechanics, you'll have plenty of Quick-time-Event to button mash your way to another movie scene. Better games are coming out.

And you don't owe a long standing series anything; it's their job to bring originality and innovation to the market.
That is some food for thought. The aggregate is a whopping 6.5 out of 10 (don't worry, I adjusted all numbers to be in an out of 10 scale). Some of those are really freaking low, that is pretty incredible. I guess I'm gonna wait for a sale. Thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of so many sites having reviewed it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'm sad to see it's not as good as I had hoped, the demo really put me off. But in a way, I'm kinda glad I don't like it. Since I was screwed over buying the MvC3 collectors edition (announcing another better version of the game and having it launch only 6 months after, I knew they did that stuff with Street Fighter but I was naive enough to believe MvC would be unaffected by that shit.), I have had the mind of not buying Capcoms games anymore, and the Resident Evil series has always had a special place with me so in the end it does make me a bit sad.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Reviews are rolling out right now, but having played the DEMO, I'm almost certain that -- and by reasons of the fumbling game mechanics alone, no less -- Resident Evil 6 should not get anything over a 7/10. I haven't played the game, but the DEMO raised plenty of issues; and many reviewers admitted that none of them were addressed.

The low scores were synonymous to my brief experience, and the mediocre reviews have a balance of good and bad. But those writers who gave it an almost perfect score must be either fanboys or unconcerned that we consumers do not play the games for free; that we expect quality story for a budget title, and not an unoriginal third person action/adventure shooter with bad camera controls and clunky game-play mechanics.
Baresark said:
worldfest said:
Baresark said:

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

Reviews are rolling out right now, but having played the DEMO, I'm almost certain that -- and by reasons of the fumbling game mechanics alone, no less -- Resident Evil 6 should not be so high. I haven't played the game, but the DEMO raised plenty of issues; and many reviewers admitted that none of them were addressed.

The low scores were synonymous to my brief experience, and the mediocre reviews have a balance of good and bad. But those writers who gave it an almost perfect score must be either fanboys or unconcerned that we consumers do not play the games for free; that we expect quality story for a budget title, and not an unoriginal third person action/adventure shooter with bad camera controls and clunky game-play mechanics.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
worldfest said:
Baresark said:

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

To me it looks like quite a few reviews gave this game an undeserved 4/5 or 8/10. Honestly if this game didn't have resident evil in its title and all the familiar characters, we would be seeing more 4/10 and 3/5's. Jim sterling is never one to disappoint. :)

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
While I've only played the demo (or rather demos), I have to say I like what I've seen so far. I've been a fan of Resident Evil since RE2 on the N64, and the only games I haven't enjoyed were the Outbreak games. And while I do lament the scarier parts of the series dying away, I can see how it works into the plot, what with the BSAA now and bio-terrorism, and all the protagonists having gone through this crap upwards of four times now. I don't really blame Capcom for the shift as much as I blame generic shooters like Call Of Duty, Battlefield, and their millions of clones that continue to sell despite each one being nothing more than a glorified map pack. Capcom sees the money these companies are making and want a share of the delicious pie. Resident Evil still has it's heart and soul, even now, and so long as that doesn't change, I'll still be a fan.
I don't think I get what you mean by "heart and soul", you are not talking about the original mechanics like survival and the horrible threat of death at every corner. The story has become a convoluted mess that only succeeded at moving nowhere for the last decade or so. So I can only assume you mean the characters. Yes I admit that the characters have not changed at all also in the last decade also, but is that a good thing? You can substitute the characters for the generic cast, swap the title and you are basically left with... well nothing. I just don't get how you can talk about heart and soul when essentially all you got are characters who literally had next to none character development. It's amazing how Capcom has literally done nothing in that department for games and games and more games.

Sorry for the rant, as you can guess I'm a bit bitter that this series can't even be called a shell of its former self.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I just want a good survival horror game during this Halloween season. I'm sad Resident Evil 6 has forgotten what it used to be and is instead chasing the success of every other franchise. Resident Evil used to be the game that people copied, not the game that did the copying.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Terramax said:
Basically, it's RE5 but with locations more akin to RE4 and RE2? Strange how RE5 gets near perfect reviews but this one is being hailed as average?
This, and the point that Leon's part is much more survival horror than 5. And the point that the whole series has been about escalation. 1-mansion creeping, Umbrella's secret is unncovered. 2,3-city-based action, Wesker's insurrection tears the city apart. Veronica-island survival that's more difficult than scary, with super-powered villains. 4-an action game that somehow manages to be scarier than the last two, and delving into BOW history. 5 was coming, honestly, Resident Evil isn't about just zombies or hoarding ammo. Resident Evil isn't about Zombies, it's about Umbrella and its legacy.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
sir, Resident Evil threw out pretenses of being survival horror seven years ago and it was all the better for it. You're acting like this is a first for the series; it's not. This is no different from 4 or 5. And even during the series' "survival horror" days it tried to have its cake and eat it. You were limited in ammo and healing items....AT FIRST. By the end of all of those games you had enough ammo and weapons to embarrass Rambo and were basically in no position of danger. You would trample Hunters and Lickers like nobody's business and bosses were often taken down with the insane arsenal you collected over the game. And let's not forget the BIGGEST indicator why going the action route was no great sin: the games had NEVER been scary. Ever. Tense, perhaps, but never scary. And if CAPCOM did decide to do another survival horror era for the series, people would get sick of it just like when they got sick of the original formula around the time of 0.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
WMDogma said:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Remember when Resident Evil used to be about survival horror?

Read Full Article
Yeah, back in the first game. That changed with number 2. Sorry, it's an action series about Umbrella.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
GAunderrated said:
worldfest said:
Baresark said:

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

To me it looks like quite a few reviews gave this game an undeserved 4/5 or 8/10. Honestly if this game didn't have resident evil in its title and all the familiar characters, we would be seeing more 4/10 and 3/5's. Jim sterling is never one to disappoint. :)
But he has been one to miss a point. >:-C I remember the first few videos he posted on the Escapist when he jumped over. He was a dick and often twisted points to suit his narrative. If he's different now, good for him. I stopped watching. Yahtzee does it for laughs, Jim tries to be taken seriously.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Nieroshai said:
WMDogma said:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Read Full Article
Yeah, back in the first game. That changed with number 2. Sorry, it's an action series about Umbrella.
Huh? What gameplay differences were there that you find Resident Evil 2 is not a true blue survival/horror? I can't think of any serious gameplay differences what would change the difference.

Either way, I'm not going to judge Resident Evil 6 before I play it. Capcom's finally blowing the "survival/horror" bridge on Resident Evil and finally focusing on making it an action game. I want to see how good it is. :)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Nieroshai said:
WMDogma said:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Read Full Article
Well, Umbrella was more or less finished off in CVX. 4 was detached and 5 dealt with the fallout of Umbrella going under and the tech to create BOWs hitting the black market. 6 deals with the fallout a bit more (President is assassinated because he was going to say what really happened during the Raccoon City incident), but with both the main games and side stories (like Revelations), it's clear that the series is currently at 'Bio-terrorists verses anti-terrorist organization'. Which definitely isn't a horror setting.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Steve Waltz said:
Nieroshai said:
WMDogma said:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Read Full Article
Huh? What gameplay differences were there that you find Resident Evil 2 is not a true blue survival/horror? I can't think of any serious gameplay differences what would change the difference.

Either way, I'm not going to judge Resident Evil 6 before I play it. Capcom's finally blowing the "survival/horror" bridge on Resident Evil and finally focusing on making it an action game. I want to see how good it is. :)
2 was an action game with clunky controls. It had "survival" because it was hard, but it was a shooter. That came with a free machinegun with a pocket dimension in the mag.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Nieroshai said:
Steve Waltz said:
2 was an action game with clunky controls. It had "survival" because it was hard, but it was a shooter. That came with a free machinegun with a pocket dimension in the mag.
I was hoping for some specific examples because I don't see ANY difference between the combat system Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2. Still, it's perfectly fine to me if you feel that way, I just don't see the difference and I was hoping you could show me.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Nieroshai said:
GAunderrated said:
worldfest said:
Baresark said:

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines ? 75/100
Gametrailers ? 8.8/10
Digital Spy ? 4/5
OPM ? 7/10

But he has been one to miss a point. >:-C I remember the first few videos he posted on the Escapist when he jumped over. He was a dick and often twisted points to suit his narrative. If he's different now, good for him. I stopped watching. Yahtzee does it for laughs, Jim tries to be taken seriously.
If you judge him by his early work you are missing out on how Jim has improved. He did what few do these days and actually took all that constructive feedback no matter how harsh and stopped doing all the crap that people hated in the fir 7 or so episodes.

I'd suggest you give him another chance with a few more recent episodes but its up to you. Since EC left Jim has basically been a 1-2 punch with yatzee now.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
COMBAT?
CAPCOM DOES NOT understand that Call of Duty and Battlefield took years -- and several previous installments -- to get to this new generation of addictive FPS. In fact, it's so good that people don't even care about the base, repetitive story line! That's not an accident people.

Actually, Resident Evil 4 is a perfect example -- I can't tell you a single plot point, but I did have a blast!

So, did they follow the COD or BTFLD model after 4? NO! They did just the opposite. Resident Evil 5 & 6 have an over-complicated ANIME story line to top clunky, cumbersome mechanics. But you're not fooling us CAPCOM! This Run-and-Gun genre is too familiar to westerners. We can spot the fakes and cash-ins a mile away, so don't expect 7 to come even close in sales; like Final Fantasy 13-2's abysmal numbers out west.

And the PLOT?
I think they've been trying to capture Hideo Kojima's massive (and laughable) story-arc style for the last three games. But really, c'mon! Resident Evil is all about killing zombies and stopping alphabet viruses. Like I said earlier, this story has for years degenerated into plain, unoriginal anime. And anime plots are where series go to die. Again, refer to Final Fantasy's dwindling western base. I mean, this isn't even Survival Horror anymore! It's just Action Adventure!

I just feel bad for consumers spending good money on it when truly ground-breaking games are coming out very soon.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
GAunderrated said:
You could, honestly, say that about a ton of games; i.e. there are a lot of borderline games that get scored higher than they deserved because of name recognition. Nostalgia and/or fanboyism is a hell of a drug(?).