Resident Evil 6 Review

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
soulfire130 said:
Okay since no one else is going to say it, I will: Leon looks like Dante from DMC4.

I'm fine with using the makers using similar character models but the resemblance is so jarring and weird to me.
Holy shit... you are right. I kept looking at him and I was like, "he looks really familiar, but does not really look like Leon Kennedy.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
In the end, I bought the game. So far I am enjoying it thoroughly. It's not a bad game as some sites are making it out to be. Too many expectations going into this one. First, the original games were scary to a degree, but people seem to think that survival horror is about jumping out of your seat. It's not, it's horrible things happening in a situation where survival is extremely unlikely. The zombies were never scary (though this is a subjective point of view I realize).

The problem is that the thing that ruins the horror is the expectation of the horror. If you expect to see a dog turned inside out then it cannot give you as intense a feeling of fear, shock or disgust. Part of the expectation of horror in this case is that you expect to see an inside out dog.

All of that said, it's a serviceable action title with a story that seems to have a lot of ins and outs (So far, I have not gotten through the game by any stretch). It's got a complex story, perhaps over complex. I'm not sitting here trying to give my review of the game, just my impressions. And my impression is that people are talking a lot of shit without having played it. Reviews are all over the board on this thing, and I can see why. I can't suggest anyone go out and buy it, but I also can't say that about FTL and that is my new favorite game.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Meh, I've never played Resident Evil because I think it's supposed to be scary.
I play it because I am genuinely amused by the ridiculous plot, over the top characters, and enough ham to put pigs on the endangered species list.
If it pulls through on the corniness factor, then I'll be picking this up.
When it inevitably goes on sale for 15 bucks at Toys R Us, just like RE5.

I've actually been playing the series from the start as of recent, as I decided that I can't call myself a survival horror fan without playing Resident Evil. I just finished #2, and I enjoyed it. I'll get Nemesis sometime soon, and I already have RE4. I'm not bothering with all of the spin offs. Just the ones with numbers in the title, thank you.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Ahhh! :D I played a few hours and I find it fantastic! I don't know if the fun will keep or not, but It has been amazingly fun so far.

I've played single-player and I've played co-op and the flow is absolutely perfect on both systems. When I'm playing single-player it feels like single player, but when I play co-op it really feels like a co-op game. The multiplayer does feel forced into the game, unlike RE5.

I can not wait until this weekend and have a split-screen party with my friends. Pretzels, beer, and Resident Evil 6. ^_^

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Don't tell me. The evil bio-terror organization wants to take over the world.

<youtube=1W7c8QghPxk>

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Terramax said:
Basically, it's RE5 but with locations more akin to RE4 and RE2? Strange how RE5 gets near perfect reviews but this one is being hailed as average?
DVS BSTrD said:
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5>Not from everyone
To be fair, All of Yahtzee's reviews tend to sound like that. :p

But on the other hand, I was going to ask just what reviews Terramax had been reading for RE 5...almost all the reviews I saw of it were that it was pretty much crap.
Well, a brief look on wikipedia shows aggregated scores of 87%, with a fair few giving 8.5-9/10. Not only that, RE4 before that was heavily celebrated as one of the best games ever made when it first came out.

BTW I'm not saying this as some fanboy whom wants to argue RE is still great. Honestly, I didn't really like any of the REs after number 2 (accept the gamecube remake and, to a lesser extent, Code Veronica on the Dreamcast). I'm just pointing out the gameplay since RE4 & 5 remain intact and yet it's getting marked down. Is it that gameplay is feeling stagnant? Because if that's the case, why are reviewers not degrading games like GTA and Zelda accordingly?

In other words, I'm suspicious with certain reviews.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
Its unfortunate that this wasn't more like RE4 (or one of the remakes). One query I haven't seen posed as of yet: Does Wesker return and if so, is he in "proper" form? I don't need extended spoilers, but a simple "Yes he returns" will be enough.

One of the only redeeming parts of RE5 was the first fight against Wesker. The "I only have a few minutes to play with you" fight, where he's grossly more powerful than the player and you just have to survive until he gets bored. Sadly what happened afterword, was a bloody travesty. Making Wesker into another RAAWWW I BLOW UP WORLD mentally and physically unstable tentacle monster was horrid; after all the years of building him up as a suave, overpowered, calculating malevolence, it was a huge letdown. Since hearing about RE6, I've been hoping that they would bring him back with some sort of "That was a clone of myself I sent on the mission for insurance. Pity it was unstable..." plot armor to bring him back to form.

So, is there even a hint such a thing has occurred? If so, I'll give RE6 a chance when it arrives on PC.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Honestly? This might make me want to play it more.

I've never played any of the RE games, mostly due to impossibly clunky controls.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Am I the only person in the world genuinely having a blast playing RE6?

Okay, I'll go back to my cave now...

(I am playing it splitscreen with a friend, which is probably making the difference)

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
All I need to know is: How does it compare to RE4. That is the only game in the series I enjoyed and finished.