Resident Evil 6 Review

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
Maybe I should stop coming to this site for review and just for the videos. I thoroughly enjoy this game and thought transformers was average, yet transformers got a higher score than this game.
Its not the website. You just have different tastes than the reviewer.

Cant say I didnt see this coming.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i really...REALLY hate CoD like gameplay, and thats exactly what RE6 looks like its gunna be...but ....it has Leon in it....

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Trishbot said:
I just want a good survival horror game during this Halloween season. I'm sad Resident Evil 6 has forgotten what it used to be and is instead chasing the success of every other franchise. Resident Evil used to be the game that people copied, not the game that did the copying.
If you haven't, I suggest you play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Get some fresh underpants ready

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Where you went wrong: Looking for Horror in a Resident Evil game :p

Should have stopped at 4 :(

RE the new ACTION ADVENTURE game \o/

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Although I fondly remember the first 3 Resident Evil titles I can't scream "Betrayal" like most are because I just see it as a logical evolution of the series from a plot point of view. Hear me out here:

The first trilogy was meant to be *BAM* in your face zombie outbreak. You've got ragtag survivors from different walks of life (also including Outbreak here) facing an imminent threat without foreplanning or preperation. The second trilogy sees what happens when the survivors carried on afterwards and formed special ops to tackle biological outbreaks. They had more training and operate in squads because they know what they're in for. So in regards to that they're acting more like seasoned veterans BECAUSE they're seasoned veterans.

Having said that: zombies just don't seem like such a big deal anymore so they have to up the ante and bring in bigger/modified enemies. How can a zombie be more menacing? I suppose if it could utilise weapons and was more intelligent than just "bumrush the nearest fleshbag" so we got the Las Plagas. Then moving onto bosses, how can we up the ante? I suppose making them more hulking/grotesque mutations of their former selves. With that comes the sense of requiring more tactile knowledge and firepower.

As for the QTE... I want to hate them but I can see those as just dynamic cutscenes because a huge boss fight would be boring as sin if all you did was "shoot in it the face for 5 minutes" and QTEs add extra to the fight "it grabbed you, here's your chance to stab it in the tentacle" without creating a pointlessly large and bloated controller moveset. I've seen people say that "I don't want to see a cutscene where I do something cool when I could do that myself in the game" yet this is where QTE is filling the void of action-sequences that the game is simply not designed around. I remember the wall run part in RE4 (obvious homage to the laser grid scene in the movie) where Leon QTEs through a laser grid room before running up the wall and jumping over the last set. How the flying FUCK are we supposed to do that without any form of QTE prompt when the game doesn't even have a jump or a dodge mechanic in place?

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Was Resident Evil ever scary? I remember playing RE4; and while it was fun, the most it did was startle me.

Shame to see it lost the enjoyable part too. :/

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Mangles69 said:
OT: The only true scary game, and lets be perfectly honest here, was Doom 3 on release. You know you wanna agree ;)
It wasn't that scary, the atmosphere was good at times, but they ruined it with the sheer ammount of jumpscares.

As for actually scary games; I'd say Silent Hill 2 and, from what I've seen of it, Amnesia: The Dark Descent (gosh I want to play that game).

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Again the Escapist falls into the typical Games Journalist trap of giving 3 out of 5 to a complete gaming failure.

What does the Escapist want to describe by this? A 3 out of 5? That RE6 is above average and therefore worth your time?

Of course not. The review as written by Paul Goodman doesn't drive to this being an above average game. The entirety of his review is criticism and yet he still praises it with a 3/5.

This is a fundamental failure with the Escapist's numerical system. It would do well to translate from Destructoid's system. While not perfect at least Desturctiod's words match the numbers and the numerals 1-5 are not left dormant....

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wow, action and quick time events...
It's almost like 4 was the most popular RE game ever, and now they're just working off of that...
WHY did we make 4 so popular?
Maybe if we'd bought more copies of REmake or Zero...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Two-A said:
Was Resident Evil ever scary? I remember playing RE4; and while it was fun, the most it did was startle me.

Whether Resi games are scary or not is really a subjective thing. Resident Evil always went for more of a "jump scare" tactic when it came to horror. (Zombie dogs in the first game anyone?) Silent Hill goes for atmosphere and building tension by NOT showing what's making that whispering noise whereas Resident Evil would rather startle you by chucking a zombie through a doorway when you least expect it.

At least Resident Evils 1 through 3 could actually be termed "survival horror games," forcing you to pick your items carefully and conserve your ammo for fear of being unable to continue. Resi 4 was unsettling in places (namely those damned Regenerators) but I would say that's where the horror started to vanish. RE5 was a joke but this latest iteration seems to be beyond words.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
Two-A said:

Whether Resi games are scary or not is really a subjective thing. Resident Evil always went for more of a "jump scare" tactic when it came to horror. (Zombie dogs in the first game anyone?) Silent Hill goes for atmosphere and building tension by NOT showing what's making that whispering noise whereas Resident Evil would rather startle you by chucking a zombie through a doorway when you least expect it.

At least Resident Evils 1 through 3 could actually be termed "survival horror games," forcing you to pick your items carefully and conserve your ammo for fear of being unable to continue. Resi 4 was unsettling in places (namely those damned Regenerators) but I would say that's where the horror started to vanish. RE5 was a joke but this latest iteration seems to be beyond words.
What I liked about RE4 is that it was an action game that required you to play smart, you couldn't just go guns blazing and wasting all your ammo in the process because that would get you killed. You had to see which gun was the best for the situation, and save ammo for the other ones. You also couldn't carry all your guns and had to pick go with the most convenient ones. And to top it all of, you had to decide very carefully when to heal because you had a very limited ammount of healing items . I guess that RE5 and 6 made the inventory, ammo and health management more streamlined, and that made those games worse.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I like now in the opening cut scene the lady says there's been another virus outbreak // The only thing I could think of why is someone hunting down one of the main ingredance and wiping it out to stop this from happening

-M

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
So I will not waste time repeating everyone's feelings which I share as well (though I did buy the game and about to play it so I can find out how much I enjoy it myself) but I wouldn't give up hope just yet for the series. Surprised no one has mentioned RE:Revelations (or if it has been mentioned I didn't notice) for the 3ds, and would highly suggest checking it out. Still plagued by a little bit of generic and repetitive action, but the main campaign the game is centered around is based on tension building moments and *gasp* exploration. So maybe some developers still have some clue on what the fans want.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Terramax said:
Basically, it's RE5 but with locations more akin to RE4 and RE2? Strange how RE5 gets near perfect reviews but this one is being hailed as average?
DVS BSTrD said:
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/624-Resident-Evil-5>Not from everyone
To be fair, All of Yahtzee's reviews tend to sound like that. :p

But on the other hand, I was going to ask just what reviews Terramax had been reading for RE 5...almost all the reviews I saw of it were that it was pretty much crap.

Personally I think it's time that Capcom let the series die. We've gone through two evil corporations and utterly destroyed them and the series' primary villain got to take a lava bath...and then get shot by RPGs while in said lava bath. It is at this point that the series should have been over. But no, we get to go on, and it now faces the same problem as WoW: "What the fuck else is there to do?"

I believe this ties in perfectly with the summation that this game is just a generic 3rd person shooter with zombies instead of terrorist/Russian soldiers. Because really: "What the fuck else is there to do?" In the WoW universe, they've officially killed off EVERY major villain in the franchise's story, there's nowhere left to turn...nothing left to do...and thus I give you: Mists of Pandaria. The same is going on with RE now. They've destroyed all the evil corporations that make the zombie viruses, killed the grand mastermind behind it all (numerous times), and so what else can they do with it besides make a bland 3rd person shooter with a trumped up story about some group called NEO Umbrella? Riiiiiiiiight. That's like Blizzard making an official expansion for WoW based off of something that was originally an April Fool's joke because they've written themselves into a corner.

Oh wait...

Jan 22, 2011
what no mention of sherry after her fifteen year absence?? I'll be blunt about Re6, if not for four recurring characters in this squeal then I probably wouldn't even bother. I'm nearly one of the few that actually plays this franchise for it's crazy story but given the reviews so far.. I'll just wait for a price cut.

Proverbial Jon said:
Two-A said:

Hmm you need to throw in resident evil zero and code veronica as well making a total of 5 true survival horror games.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Bbleds said:
... Surprised no one has mentioned RE:Revelations (or if it has been mentioned I didn't notice) for the 3ds, and would highly suggest checking it out. Still plagued by a little bit of generic and repetitive action, but the main campaign the game is centered around is based on tension building moments and *gasp* exploration. So maybe some developers still have some clue on what the fans want.
agree, IMO Resident Evil: Revelations is one of the best RE games in some time, also great creature designs like the Comm Officer

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Bbleds said:
So I will not waste time repeating everyone's feelings which I share as well (though I did buy the game and about to play it so I can find out how much I enjoy it myself) but I wouldn't give up hope just yet for the series. Surprised no one has mentioned RE:Revelations (or if it has been mentioned I didn't notice) for the 3ds, and would highly suggest checking it out. Still plagued by a little bit of generic and repetitive action, but the main campaign the game is centered around is based on tension building moments and *gasp* exploration. So maybe some developers still have some clue on what the fans want.
A LITTLE bit???? How many boss fights are in that game? There are a LOT of sequences in which you're just shooting at things. Heck, that helicopter sequence alone is straight out of an action movie. It starts out tense AT FIRST, but then it's just "shoot everything in the face." Though it does that really well

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Bbleds said:
It's worth mentioning that Capcom knows how to work these handhelds. Revelations was pretty damn scary (but then again, I'm a wuss and damn near shit myself at any jump scare D: )

Anyways, it looks explody, it looks ka-BLAMy and sadly without any identity of its own. Zombie/Mutant shooters have been done before and have probably done better as well. I think that's what people have been crying about. I gave 5 a pass and I'll pass on this one as well. Considering the mess the story became and continues to become, I think I'll rejoin the franchise when they go into space.

Jan 22, 2011
TJC said:
Bbleds said:
It's worth mentioning that Capcom knows how to work these handhelds. Revelations was pretty damn scary (but then again, I'm a wuss and damn near shit myself at any jump scare D: )

Anyways, it looks explody, it looks ka-BLAMy and sadly without any identity of its own. Zombie/Mutant shooters have been done before and have probably done better as well. I think that's what people have been crying about. I gave 5 a pass and I'll pass on this one as well. Considering the mess the story became and continues to become, I think I'll rejoin the franchise when they go into space.
You really should get resident evil five a try if not for the Rebecca and Barry cameo's in the mercenary mini-game and the add on Lost in Nightmares which has around 2-4 hr through back to some original mansion settings.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I dunno why everyone is bitching about all the QTEs, like there weren't a shit ton of them in Resident Evil 4. Everyone remembers that game through rose-colored glasses, though...

Anyway, I liked what I played so far. That doesn't make me a bad/good fan for liking it, nor does it make you a bad/good fan for hating it. The game has gotten pretty mixed reviews, so the only real way to know for sure is to get it and play it yourself. If you want to wait until it's discounted, that'd probably be a smarter idea. Or take advantage of GameStop's "hate it/beat it" 7-day return policy for used games. *shrugs*

I think too many people aren't going to give it a chance, but that's okay too. Resident Evil has never been an amazing series to me, it's just always been a good one. I've never played a RE game with the same level of enthusiasm that I have with other favorites of mine, but I've been playing them all since the very first one.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, and if you've played the game and say it's shit, then you every right to say so. But if you haven't played the game, you can't KNOW it's shit just because people are saying it's shit.