Retail jobs: the dumbest customer question you've been asked?

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
I work at a curry restaurant
-"what is the 'English' definition of curry?"
(we also sell groceries) indian customer - "Can you cook this up for me?"
-"Can I borrow your car? Just to go to walmart" <- i didn't know this person. at all. ever.
-"Do you have anything without spices in it?"

Also not long ago we added a little 2 fountain side thing to our soda machine and the water is on it, almost everyone gets water, i swear once a day i get asked "wheres the water?" i even put up a sign pointing out the water. ive actualy stopped responding when people ask. I figure if they aren't smart enough to find the water they deserve to die of thirst.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Also, this wasn't so much a customer question i guess but i have to go get stock for my store and a lot of times in sams club and walmart i get asked if i work there and if i can help them, im usualy wearing my maroon work shirt. but one time, again in my maroon shirt, i was annoyed for whatever reason when i was moving between work shifts. I was at a U-Haul returning something and the guy working there left to check the thing i was returning. while he was gone another customer came in and started making demands of me (i forgot my keys in one of your vans, hurry i need to get them(once more I'm dressed in maroon with my company logo on it and u-haul peoples are in grey and orange)) so i pretend that i work at the uhaul store go behind the counter pretend to type stuff up and proceed to ask BS questions about the truck he rented until the actual employee returned. Strolled out like a boss afterward.

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
deadman91 said:
I'm a bank Teller, so we get a few. Stupid statements are just as common.
Or the goddamn jokes that we hear constantly: me- "is that from you savings account?" customer- "Well actually it's more like a SPENDING account!"
Fuckin hilarious.
Reading this one I could for some reason really feel your pain. And you are sitting there teeth clenched, pretending to be nice, while really the thought of trying to staple this persons nipples to their forehead is becoming very tempting.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I worked in a video store for a while.

While I could fill the page with the barrage of stupid questions and psychotic encounters I had there I'll stick with my favorite customer interaction ever.

Me: Welcome to Suncoast, can I help you find anything today?
Customer: I'm looking for a movie, I'm sorry I can't recall the name though.
Me: No problem if you can tell me a bit about the movie I'm sure we can figure it out.
Customer: It has a buddy cop movie with that black guy.
Me: Oh uhm... Beverly Hills Cop? Lethal Weapon? Last Boyscout?
Customer: No...no it's a newer movie the black guy...he's a comedian.
Me: Hmm...Men in Black maybe?
Customer: No the other fellow was Asian. Did a lot of Chop socky type stuff.
Me: OH! You're talkin' about Rush Hour. Yeah with Jackie Chan and Cris Tucker.
Customer: No I don't think that's it.
Me: Oh..um...well what's the movie about then?
Customer: It's these chinese gangsters kidnapping the daughter of the Ambassador so the Asian guy has to team up with the Black guy to find her.

Me: That...um...yeah that's Rush Hour.
Customer: It's not Rush Hour.
Me: I'm pretty sure it is.
Customer: No! The black guy is the same guy from the Fifth Element!

Me: That's Chris Tucker. Sir, you're talking about Rush Hour I guarantee it.

Customer: Y'know what you're not helping I'll come back later and find someone who'll listen!

*customer storms off*

About an hour passes our 3rd key shows up for the closing shift, I tell him to watch the register while I go get lunch. When I get back I ask my general follow up question. "Anything exciting happen while I was gone?"

to which he replies.

"Exciting? Not really, but like 10 seconds after you left I had a guy come in, make a bee line for Action/Adventure, grabbed a copy of Rush Hour and slammed it on the counter. It was the most awkwardly hostile sale I've ever made."

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, I work behind the deli counter in a supermarket.
"Can I have some ham?" they ask "Yes." I say and look down into the counter where there are 7 different hams. "Which ham would you like?" I ask "Oh, I don't know." They say. Then spend about 10 minutes asking which ham is the moistest, which one will keep the longest, blah blah blah.. and then pick the one they buy every single time they come into the shop..

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Zacharious-khan said:
-"Can I borrow your car? Just to go to walmart" <- i didn't know this person. at all. ever.
i was actually at a liquor store once and as i walked in a lady was bitching about how someone was illegally parked so she blocked him in and he could basically go fuck himself. the other guy walks over and asks if she can move her car and a slight argument (he didn't speak much english) breaks out the result of which was him politely asking for her keys so he could move her car.
she actually handed over her keys and the guy moved the car and returned em. don't think i've ever been so surprised.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Did not happen to me but when I was at a Wal-Mart once:

The buzzer goes off saying that someone did not pay for something:
Employee: Excuse me maam can I check your bags?
Customer: What No I PAID FOR THIS SHIT FUCK YOU!
E: I am sorry man store policy
C: FUCK YOU! -starts to run out-
E: -grabs her bag to stop her-
C: HELP RAPE RAPE RAPE HE GROPED ME !!!!!!!!!!!
E: -Lets go in surprise-
C:-runs out of the store- RAPE RAPE HELP MEEEE!!!!!!

Everyone was confused for a second then went back to what they were doing, he called his boss and they called the cops saying she had stolen from them.
I heard about it later in the news, she claimed he had groped her, but the video evidence proved him innocent.

What a *****.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
I work in a clothing store, so I mostly get stupid requests for directions. Some gems:

"Where are your fitting rooms?" When I'm MANNING THEM!
"Where's the lift?" When I'm stood under the sign clearly pointing to the lift.
"Where's the sale area?" when the sale area is highlighted by giant red signs.

I've also had the "do you work here?" question when my uniform is a damn suit!

NightHavoc

Sep 15, 2010
Well I work in a book shop and there have been a few gems.

Customer: Yeah I was wondering if you have this book I can't remember the title and I don't know who the author is and I'm not sure what its about but I know the cover is blue.

Me: I'm sorry if you could remember the title or what it's about I can help you but there are quite a few books with blue covers so it would be near impossible to find the specific book you are after.

Customer: Well can you grab all the blue covered books so I can look through them?

Yeah...... The next one a customer calls up regarding an online sale.

Cust: Hi is your online sale still running?

Me: Yes its currently 20% off but if you spend over $100 you will get 25% off.

Cust: Ok so if I spend like $30 dollars ill get 20% off?

Me: Correct

Cust: But if I spend over $100 I'll get 25%?

Me: Yes

Cust: So if I bought $90 worth of stuff it would only be 20%

Me: Yeah

Customer: But if I bought $105 worth it would be 25%?

Me: Correct

That phone call went on for awhile. This next one really ticked me off though I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy. It wasn't a stupid question but I did want to punch him after he said it.

This was during Christmas

Cust: Is there any extra discount on these products? (bearing in mind we are currently running 20% store wide)

Me: No sorry 20% off is the only discount we can apply to those products.

Cust: Man some people just don't have Christmas spirit anymore.

......Yes and this store also needs to make a profit to be able to afford to hire me so I can make a living dealing with arrogant morons like yourself!

bugsaplenty

Jan 25, 2013
And of course, all the neighborhood cats will add their own little "gifts" to the sandbox. That was "too dirty" to buy. Lord, give us all strength to deal with obliviots.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
I work a car and truck store that has "Motorsports" in our name, though we have nothing to do with dirt bikes or 4-wheelers. I've had dozens of people come in and ask "so where are the motorcycles and 4-wheelers"

We have a Denali out front with 6 15in subs and 28in wheels, a lifted F350, with 37'in tires, a STi built to the walls with upgrades. Our showroom is all wheels, tires, and a hundred more accessories. Did you not look and think "they don't sell those here" We build cars and trucks, not dirt bikes.. sorry man!

Eduardo Rivera

Jul 6, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Yeah I had the whole "Do you work here?" question aswell. Not only am I wearing a red fleece jacket (which as far as I know no one else had worn into the shop) but it does have the company named stitched in yellow thread on the left side at the front part of the jacket.
Granted I don't hold it against them as I once overheard a customer asking that same question to another customer...

Other than that I can't think of a really dumb question asked by a customer. Sure there "do you got..." when it's behind that customer but to be fair the store does change its stock around quite often.
I agree with the latter part of your statement. I used to work at a hotel, and had to dress in a suit everyday. It never failed. Random strangers would ask me questions whenever I would stop at a store on the way home. As irritating as being asked, ?Do you work here?? That scenario is way less awkward. Especially when people get mad at you when you tell them that you don?t work there. I mean if I knew the answer I tried to help but some times I just didn?t know where they kept the nose trimmers.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Amethyst Wind said:
triggrhappy94 said:
Aris Khandr said:
"Why are you so lazy?" Asked of me as I was eating lunch outside the store. At 3 PM. Eleven hours after I got there, that was my first break. My Pokewalker said I'd walked twelve miles that day. I was, almost literally, everywhere in that store. So yeah, I wasn't giving up my lunch break to help anyone else.
Where do you live? I don't know if this is just a thing in California or national, but it's illegal to work past 5 hours straight without a half an hour "uninterumpted meal" break.
You are technically allowed to wave your meal, but then you have to punch-out after 6 hours.
Well I'm not American but I have worked retail sales before. I'd assume that the management's response to that on Black Friday, being the busiest shopping day of the year, would be "Do it or you're fired."

It's illegal but pretty much accepted as that's what'll happen.
Where the hell do you live? You can only get fired on the spot for gross misconduct. You could show an employer a picture of your solicitor and they'd shit their pants if they tried to fire you for that. It's actually quite difficult to fire people. They'll more than likely make your life hell until you quit but then you just keep a record of unafair treatment, get a few testimonies from co-workers and report them for harassment.
I'm going to assume the first poster is in a non-union job, and doesn't get the comfort and protection that unions provide. While it's illegal to do something like that in this economy most people would rather deal with the bs and take the paycheck than risk being fired. Having a union to complain to, and thus fight for you, makes job security feel more secure.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
I work for a grocery store chain, the most expensive one in the area. I truly believe it's because we have better quality in our fresh items than our competitors, and that's from my experience of shopping at all of them before getting hired.

But people STILL come in and complain about our prices. "Well, at Market Basket it only costs _____". I so desperately want to respond with "Then go shop at Market Basket, there's one around the corner. Have fun with your produce that'll rot in two days and your meat that's all fat and gristle." Of course I can't say that, so I give some meek, apologetic response about quality and they roll their eyes at me.

I usually work in the bake shop, doing cake orders and other pretty confectionery items. Now, the bake shop is set up so that I'm working behind a counter with the cakes displayed on the other side, the bread wall to my right, and the cookie wall across from me, with two tables of "sweet goods" (danishes, donut holes, packs of muffins, cupcakes, brownies, ect) between my counter and the cookie wall. On top of the cake case is a display of candles, the little 4'' diameter 'baby cakes' (like you get one free with a first birthday order so the baby can eat it with hands and face for those oh-so-adorable photo ops). Bearing all that in mind, here are questions I get EVERY.DAY.

Customer: Is this the smallest cake you have? *holds up an 8'' round*

Me: No, sir/ma'am, there are smaller ones right there. *I point*

Customer: *Will look behind me, behind themselves, at the bread wall, anywhere but where I pointed.*

Me: No, to your left.. no up.. up further..

What I WANT to say: It is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!

Customer: Where are your candles?

Me: Right here. *points to the right, directly next to my FACE."

What I WANT to say: It is RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE!

Customer: Do you guys have any cookies?

Me: Behind you, sir/ma'am. *point*

What I WANT to say: If you can't find the cookies, you don't deserve the cookies.

Child Customer: Do you guys have any free cookies?

Me: Yes, in the pastry self serve. They are exactly in the middle, labeled 'party cookies'.

Child Customer: *tries to take a whoopie pie or a donut."

Me: That's not a party cookie, you have to pay for that. In the exact middle.

Child Customer: *sulks, takes a cookie, doesn't say 'thank you' unless prompted by an adult*

What I WANT to say: No, go away and don't bother me.

Customer: Do you have anymore of *some item on the bread-wall* back there somewhere?

Me: All of our stock is out there, we receive fresh bread every morning.

What I WANT to say: Oh yes, because it behooves us to hide our product from the customers.

Customer: Do you have any chocolate cake?

Me: Yes. The hand decorated ones are on the right, the gourmet are on the left.

What I WANT to say is: If you took two seconds to look, you'd find it.

Customer: Can you write *insert anything here* on a cake? And does it cost anything?

Me: Yes I can, and no it doesn't.

What I WANT to say is: There are three signs on the counter that say "We'll be happy to customize any cake free of charge." If you can't read that, how will you read what I put on the cake?

Customer: I want "Happy Birthday Tim. T-I-M." OR I want "Happy Birthday Meagan, Ashleigh and Sean."

Me: *ignores the first one* Which spelling of Megan, Ashley, and Shawn do you want?

And this one I get ALL the time when I'm on register.

Me: Do you have your Stop and Shop card with you?

Customer: Yes, but I left it home/in the car/I lost it.

Me: *blinks* I'll use our store card for you.

What I WANT to say: That isn't what I FUCKING ASKED YOU!

That's all I can think of right now. There are more, but these are the ones that make me want to cut myself.

FeralDynasty

The Lich King
Feb 2, 2010
I work as a host in a pizza restaurant and a large part of my job is taking phone orders for takeout and delivery. Sometimes people call in and ask questions, this woman asked me "What time do you guys close tonight?" to which I replied "Nine o'clock." and she responded with "PM?". This almost made me want to stab her through the phone. Bear in mind that it was about 5PM when she was making this call and what sane restaura- no, what sane ANYTHING closes at 9AM?

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
the other day a guy walked into the card shop I work in, so it's not silent in here we have the radio tuned into probably the most popular radio station in the county, hell they record it not a five minuets walk from my work, but I digress, the conversation went something like this:

Customer-(walk in) "Hello"
Me- "Hi there, anything in particular you're looking for today?
Customer-"yeah a card" (laughter) (side note, i hate this "joke")
Me- "fair enough well there are plenty here"
Customer- "oo creepy, you've got the same music on as next door, do you guys share a cd or something?"
Me- "Oh no we're probably just turned into the same radio station"
Customer- "What you guys have a personal radio station, that's awesome who gets to run it?"
Me- "Oh err no it's just the one down the road, 96.4 the eagle"
Customer-"you guys run that station! no way, I love -names a DJ-

The guy then spent his entire time searching for a card grilling me on the workings of radio stations, how DJ's are picked, and wether he could apply...it was...odd

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I work for a Plumbers Merchant in the UK and we get asked stupid questions all the time. Some of them are quite worrying actually when you get people who are supposed to be trained experts asking us how to do their job.

We also get asked if we sell building materials (bricks , sand ect) all the time because the building next to us is the builders merchant. Its pretty obvious which company is which though since ours has Center at the end of it and theirs doesn't. But nope apparently the majority of people in my town are morons who can't read.

The usual questions are Is this ..... Center ? This is usually after they have walked past a billboard with the company name and the giant ass sign stuck to the building above the doors they have to walk through to speak to us, and all the employees have the company name on their polo shirts (or jumpers for Managers)

Then there is the not sure if asshole or deaf people; Our shop has a electronic buzzer rigged to the door, so every single person that walks through the door triggers the buzzer (which is really really loud) so we know someone needs serving. (We don't man our shop every minute of the day because we have other stuff to do in the stores) You get people who walk in and yell SHOP and bang on the counter when they know you know they are there because of the loud buzzer that alerts us.

I work for the boiler spare parts section of my company and we get some really stupid questions like have you got such and such part for my boiler.

You get some people that go batshit when you ask them what boiler they have as they insist that they are all the same. (Clearly this is why we have over 20,000 stock lines) Or insist that its one of those ''standard'' parts. (Which doesn't exist)

Then you get the people who go apeshit when they try to buy a part and they are not qualified to work on boilers so we by law are not allowed to sell to them. (This only applies to parts that directly touch or have gas running through them)

Oh and then there are the ones who complain that you don't have some obscure part in stock because they seem to think we have a TARDIS and not a warehouse with limited storage space which is generally dedicated to common parts we sell every day. (we can however get said items in less than 12 hours on a week day via our distribution network)

Yeah fun times.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Do you work here?

No, I'm just wearing the uniform, standing behind a counter, and filling a prescription because it's something I like to do. Security should be tackling me any moment now.

However, since I have no doubt that that's been said, here's a more unique one.

A mother comes in with her child who is CLEARLY suffering from a severe allergic reaction. This was before I worked in the pharmacy, so I was standing at the front counter. She says in a panic "is your pharmacy open?!"

It being the weekend and after 5PM, our pharmacy was not open. I informed her of this, and she then says "oh goodness, well do you have a 24 hour location nearby?"

Idiot, your child is going to go into anaphylactic shock and you want to drive to the nearest 24hr location? yeah, okay.

I had already dialed 911 at that point.