Review: Alan Wake

BrokenBones

Mar 31, 2010
Great review. I'm really excited for Alan Wake, more than I have been for any game in quite some time. I had never heard of it until a few months ago so wasn't aware of it's long development. Anyway, the more I hear about it the better it sounds, I really wish there was more of this type of game. Hardly got any money this month but there's no way I'm missing out on my collectors edition :)

masakoz

Mar 12, 2009
Abriael said:
masakoz said:
This game looked shitty with multiplayer(remedy made a april fools joke vid about it).Why does every game have to have multiplayer anyway?It's that mentality that has ruined great games(bioshock 2 anybody).
Might want to read the whole sentence: "7-8 hours and no multiplayer" = very little content for the price of a full game. At the very least multiplayer options help adding some value when the single player is short.
For sure I don't want or need multiplayer with every game, but this trend of providing very little content in games is getting tiresome. I don't mean that every game needs 60-70 hours worth of content like Yakuza 3, but at the very least 15-20 should be the norm, and much less than that should definitely be frowned upon.
All this time in development to deliver less than 10 hours of gameplay is simply a new definition of lazy.
lazy is when you make a game 4 hours long.10 hours for a game that takes a linear root like this one is alot of hours

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
masakoz said:
All this time in development to deliver less than 10 hours of gameplay is simply a new definition of lazy.
lazy is when you make a game 4 hours long.10 hours for a game that takes a linear root like this one is alot of hours[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Aside the fact that i said LESS than 10 hours (every source I've heard from so far indicates 8 hours for a relaxed playthrough), 10 hours for any game is VERY little. Linear or not. It's basically 6 dollars an hour, which is laughable AND lazy.

CyanLink

Mar 3, 2010
Felt more like a tips and tricks video then a review. Didn't hear any mention of whether you liked the game or not. No mention of controls or anything else either.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CyanLink said:
Felt more like a tips and tricks video then a review. Didn't hear any mention of whether you liked the game or not. No mention of controls or anything else either.
That's because it's a supplement, not a review. It's a companion to the written review.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
I was thinking of picking this up. The plot of the story and the tensions I've seen reviewers describe seem amazing. I've also judged the gameplay and it does look like a preety creepy game.

Now Alan Wake, or Nier? Dammit! I'm so conflicted!
I just bought Nier a few days ago, and it really is great. Don't trust the mixed reviews, it's just plain fun, with a good mindfuck for a storyline.

Though this review really makes me want to pick up Alan Wake too... I hope there'll be a PC release.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
...and this game was originally planned to be a PC exclusive...

I think I'll just call a few guys and go play the PC version in Remedy HQ. Small country, everyone knows everyone.

neojam

Sep 21, 2007
5/5 stars?
I must have been playing a different game then...Or the reviewer didn't play many other games :/

AW is an OK game, but hardly anything exceptional srory-/graphic-/whatever-wise, i would give it a firm 3.5/5, especially considering how long it was in development.. Quite a disappointment if you ask me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
neojam said:
5/5 stars?
I must have been playing a different game then...Or the reviewer didn't play many other games :/

AW is an OK game, but hardly anything exceptional srory-/graphic-/whatever-wise, i would give it a firm 3.5/5, especially considering how long it was in development.. Quite a disappointment if you ask me.
Played plenty of games, thanks. Yes, Alan Wake certainly has issues, but in my opinion, the overall experience is so excellent that the game as a whole is superlative. Your mileage may vary.

It's also worth noting, however, that we don't do half-stars.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
I just bought an xbox 360 elite (I have to much expendable income and no savings). This will be the first game I get! Looks fantastic!

-Joe

CyanLink

Mar 3, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
CyanLink said:
That's because it's a supplement, not a review. It's a companion to the written review.[/quote}

Fair enough.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Great review! So.... would you recommend this game? Because, I am highly tempted to buy it.

Pickard12

This guy are sick.
Dec 24, 2008
Horray for pre-orders arriving early!

I strongly agree with the majority of the comments in the review. So far I am really enjoying the game and I've had to tear myself away from it so I don't finish it in a single day!

The story is so engaging like any well plotted mystery/thriller and the overall atmosphere is consistently threatening. Combat works very well too; it can be very challenging and intense at times. I'm finding it a lot less 'Twin Peaks' than many have made it out to be. A few eccentric characters have popped up but it does not draw that much from the series.

Avoid getting caught up in all the 'how long is it?' rubbish. Simply buy the game and enjoy it. I'd argue it would be hard to find many people who do not want to persue this game's story. Here's hoping for a satisfying conclusion!

Those who ordered the collector's edition - Totally worth it.

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
Thus far, not impressed. The lip syncing is horrible, and the dialogue is... laughable... really.

"I looked at the water; it was deep."

We waited 5 years for Alan Wake to tell us that the water, of a giant lake, was deep...?

Also whenever an achievement pops up it takes away from the game experience.

Yeah... it's not impressive for me...

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Ah relax, given the trend I'm willing to bet we'll see a Games for Windows port before the end of 2011.