Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Nerdfury said:
Apagogical sarcasm, Russ, really? Is that the best you can come up with?
One can never go wrong when using the appropriate tool for the correct task. ;)

Tell you what, though, the next time you feel the urge to lase me with pedantic fury over a review, try to read the entire thing. Calling me out as "harming the industry" for praising a game as "great" marks you as the fool, sir, not me.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
None of these games has ever been "top of the line" in innovation, but they have always had kickassery, and atmosphere in spades :) I just need to save my pennies for a next gen system to get this latest installment! Too bad I came in 3rd for the Marines portion of the Escapist game haha :)

pntaylor

Reticulating Splines
Mar 16, 2010
Despite some of the positive reviews I've read of AvP I think I'll most likely rent it.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
First, I am a huge AvP fan. That being said, if someone could answer just one question for me, it would help tip my view on this game between "Pass" and "Purchase":

Throughout the video footage, I only saw one instance where all three races were "on screen" at the same time, when as the marine looking out a window you see an alien go splat thanks to a cloaked hunter's shoulder cannon. One of my big draws to the series was the dynamics of having -all three- races interacting with each other at the same time, which is why I love the arcade version of AvP and what left the 2000 version feeling lackluster.

My main interest in this game (being a chiefly single player gamer) is having the feeling of being in the middle of some bigger war, one chess piece in a game with three factions, each opposed to allowing the other two to continue breathing (although having the human-predator team-up happen again would be a practically orgasmic level of awesome) effectively making each side's play through feel like a dire or pivotal role in a larger conflict. From all of the footage I've seen, it seems to be a much more linear experience, and having criticisms levied against the game's writing really doesn't assuage my fears.

So, long story short: Is this the fatal 3-way I've been praying for, or just an FPS which has Aliens, Predators and Marines in intermittent bursts of solo performances?

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
Since I'm only on PC, the awkward controls are a problem. If it gets really cheap later, I might get it for the Marine campaign.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
With all due respect, it seems like the review is a long list of excuses for bad design and only average production values. It really hasn't improved much on the original AvP from some years ago and the very least you can do if you're going to basically re-release a game is at least touch up the graphics, if not add in new gameplay elements.