Review: Bulletstorm

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
The story is supposed to be over the top, thats what makes it funny. You have to watch it like a parody not a real plot. And I like Gray, can totally relate to this guy.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Gonna go ahead and make a prediction:

The number of first-person shooters featuring a heel-kick mechanic will balloon over the next two years, then sharply decline.

Noctis_XZ

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure how I really feel about this game to be honest. There is no denying that it is a FUN game and that's what ALL games need to aim to be first and foremost.. but I was kind of expecting a little more out of this. Let me explain..

When I was going into Bulletstorm I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking from the storyline.. just straight up over the top craziness! But one thing I was expecting was a somewhat longer game.. I mean really, is this the new standard for all FPS? I think I spent more time playing through that Duke Nukem on the XBLA than with most of these top tier FPS games now a days.

Secondly.. I was expecting a little more out of the multiplayer, was I the only one? I just find it odd that a game like this has a multiplayer mode that really only works with teamwork.. just odd in my opinion

Perhaps my expectations were a tad to high? I don't know.. kind of felt it was trying to hard to be over the top as well at times. It's still a nice little game, a buy? Honestly.. HELL NO, not worth it PERIOD unless you are REALLY into it.

For me Duke Nukem is the my last hope. It would be rather hilarious if that was the game that had the insanely fun multiplayer.. XD

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
For the PC? Forget it.

Encrypted config files (thus the inability to alter the FOV and a host of other settings), SLI issues, graphic problems and crashes that have plagued the engine since Gears 1, DX9, short singleplayer with little or no story . . . and most damning of all, GFWL.

Then slap a $60.00 USD price on a poor port with bigtime consolitis.

No, thanks. If I buy it - at all - it'll be when it hits the bargain rack. Still a big If.

As for the Demo, they're *still* working on the PC version.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Tsaba said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
DUmb question but what's the song at the end?

Good review btw. Picking this up later
Boom-POD

Oddly enough, they are a christian rock band..... hehehehe oh the irony.

I know what I'm doing today!
pshaw, westboro baptists aren't christians! haha

but that's a good song, I didn't recognize it at first when I saw the trailer until BOOOM

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
jawakiller said:
The story is supposed to be over the top, thats what makes it funny. You have to watch it like a parody not a real plot. And I like Gray, can totally relate to this guy.
it's an epic story of emotional closure and quest for revenge, a very common theme found in many respected sophisticated works of literature and...

oh bother. DICKTITS!

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Hey great review. Very entertaining. I shall be trying some of these skillshots when the demo for PC gets released.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Why not put a chain around him then headshot him off the cliff with a shotgun <_<

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Aaaawwww! You just sound so excited in the video, sorta like a puppy! 'tis cute. :3
Glad to see you're having fun! Might get it when the price comes down a bit, already got my sights set on Dragon Age 2.

MirrorSweep

Apr 17, 2009
Looks like it'd get pretty old pretty fast, good thing they announced DC but ehhh..I'm not convinced it'll have lasting appeal. =/

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Gotta say, the game's a lot more fun than the demo made it appear. I just finished it, and despite it being as silly as it gets, they still managed to make me care about the characters by the end. And they found a somewhat plausible way of explaining the skillshot announcements on your HUD; wouldn't have needed one, but it's a nice touch. This is a game where a lot of love was put into the details.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Played it for about an hour at a friend's house. It got old really fast. I'd enjoy it more if I was 12.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Khada said:
They make games for the non-critical thinkers now?.. Explains why my close minded, idiot friend can't wait for it.
The irony lies in the non-sequitur you just used.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
It looks like a tremendous amount of fun, but how is the PC version? The Steam forum is currently littered with people who claim it's a crappy console port with almost no options and horrible performance, anyone got a word on that?

EDIT:

PopcornAvenger said:
For the PC? Forget it.

Encrypted config files (thus the inability to alter the FOV and a host of other settings), SLI issues, graphic problems and crashes that have plagued the engine since Gears 1, DX9, short singleplayer with little or no story . . . and most damning of all, GFWL.

Then slap a $60.00 USD price on a poor port with bigtime consolitis.

No, thanks. If I buy it - at all - it'll be when it hits the bargain rack. Still a big If.

As for the Demo, they're *still* working on the PC version.
Just saw this post. Damn. That sucks.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I played the demo and it seems like its a fun game but it would get repetitive and boring pretty quickly for me.

SoulIsTheGoal

Nov 25, 2010
This game looks so much fun, I can't wait to get my hands on it. After I sell a kidney to afford it.
(Dick-tits was in a South Park episode. Season 11, Episode 8.)

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Sadly, I learned the term dicktits before I heard of this game, and I still curse the internet to this day.

However, the game actually looks fun, so I may end up checking it out eventually. Great review supplement by the way Russ.